ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shift to Linux

<< < (9/10) > >>

wraith808:
Whatever works best for the user I always say.
-40hz (June 01, 2013, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

This, I can get on board with.  The OS is a tool, not a religion. :)

40hz:
I use openSUSE because it's very liberal when it comes to software choice and it's uber-stable.
-zridling (June 11, 2013, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Another superb choice. :Thmbsup: I still have earlier versions that I paid money to buy disk sets for back when it was still available in retail computer stores - back when there still were retail computer stores and not just PC sections in big box outlets.

The real "old guard" distros (Slack and Debian) are exceptionally stable and pretty well worked out. You may lose a few of the fancier out-of-box bells & whistles (until you install them yourself  :)) by not going with some of the newer releases like Mint or Mageia. But that shouldn't stop you.

Check out the Distrowatch website for a fairly comprehensive list of what's currently available.
 :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Whatever works best for the user I always say.
-40hz (June 01, 2013, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

This, I can get on board with.  The OS is a tool, not a religion. :)
-wraith808 (June 11, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seriously! :Thmbsup:

What is the BFD about which brand of computer or software you use? Who cares?

You share what you know about the "good stuff," offer help and suggestions when you can, and move on your merry way.

I don't get evangelism. But that's probably because I was once very interested in religious belief systems and put a fair amount of study into learning as much as I could starting with Albigencian and ending somewhere around Zoroasterianism. Mostly because I didn't get it. At all.

Still don't really.

Feel much the same way about software, makes of cars, and sports teams.

It's all a big "so what?" to me. ;D

kilele:
When using Linux don't you feel like crippled deep down a dungeon? is Linux a good platform to allow a software developer make a living ? Also I didn't find any desktop manager which allowed searching within a combobox  ;D

40hz:
When using Linux don't you feel like crippled deep down a dungeon?-kilele (June 11, 2013, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not for a minute. As the matter of a fact, lately I feel like I'm wearing handcuffs every time I need to work within Windows. :)

is Linux a good platform to allow a software developer make a living ?
--- End quote ---

Redhat, Suse, Canonical, HP, IBM. Hollywood and a bunch of other people who write software seem to think so. Even Steam feels there's a future for paid games - and they're  doing ok with it last I heard. 8)

Also I didn't find any desktop manager which allowed searching within a combobox  ;D

--- End quote ---

Not quite sure what you mean by "searching within a combobox"...but ok. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more on that one? Searching isn't something a desktop manager would do. Do you mean doing a file search within a GUI interface like so:

That would be a function more likely found in a file manager. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version