ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shift to Linux

<< < (7/10) > >>

40hz:
can it be run as a live CD/USB do you know?
-pilgrim (June 08, 2013, 05:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

It can. I have a copy on USB which I take with me everywhere "just in case."  :Thmbsup:

(Note: I'm a big fan of live CDs and portable apps.)  :)

pilgrim:
Thanks, I'll have a closer look when I've got the time.
For some reason the live CD's I've already got have refused to run on my new PC, they boot OK and then throw up file system errors.
The drive is OK because amongst other things I've run backup and partition software with it, and the live CD's still run on my old PC.

40hz:
For some reason the live CD's I've already got have refused to run on my new PC, they boot OK and then throw up file system errors.
-pilgrim (June 08, 2013, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Could be either a bad download or a problem with the drive that was used to burn the disks.

Anytime you download a very large file there's always the chance of some corruption Happens a lot with some slower DSL services where there's a significant number of lags and timeout/resumes during a download - which your DL manager usually won't tell you about.

99% of the time there's a file error it's because the ISO download got corrupted. First thing to do following a download is to verify the MD5 or SHA-1 checksum. If there's a mismatch, the download is corrupted and you'll have to download it again.

If you don't have a utility to verify checksums, I'd recommend grabbing a copy of Colony West Software's freebie digestIT.

If the checksum is ok, then there might be an alignment issue with the burning drive. Usually the problem occurs with higher R/W settings. So when in doubt, the old trick is to try burning the CD at a lower speed like 8X or 16X. Virtually any drive can read any disk duped at those speeds.

If you don't want to chance wasting a disk, you can always load a live distro image onto a bootable USB key and play with that. It's faster than loading from CD anyway.

pilgrim:
One of the CD's is a genuine one that came with The Official Ubuntu Book.
The other was a download and I should still have the ISO itself which I can check, although as I said they both work on my old PC.

I learned about burning speeds the hard way although it's not always the answer, when I rebuilt my old PC a slipstreamed XP-SP3 CD that I had used before was rejected.
As my genuine ones are both SP2 I had to use one of them and then install the service pack, fortunately I always keep downloaded installers except for normal MS updates.

I get a File Hashes tab under Properties on all my computers: CRC32, MD2, MD4, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512. There's 7 more that are hidden.
It also allows me to compare files.

I have a number of both CD and DVD RW discs, anything I am not sure about I put on one of those first.

40hz:
^Out of curiosity - was your new machine preloaded with Windows and UEFI/Secure Boot enabled?

Because if it is, it won't boot Linux (or any other non-Windows OS) off a CD until some changes get made in the hardware setup to allow it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version