ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shift to Linux

(1/10) > >>

tosim:
I thought I would write this up to maybe help those who are tired of Windoz. I've used Windoz since 1998 and have a small computer repair business, so I am fairly savvy in Windoz. After toying very slightly with various versions of Linux over a few years, about 9 months ago I downloaded the "live CD" of Linux Mint 13-MATE.By booting with the "live CD" you run it from RAM, so nothing affects your regular install(of Windoz). I liked it so much that I've installed it and running(on 3 of my computers) it, dual booting with Win7. I'm using Linux probably 99% of the time, and really prefer it to Windoz. To further inform you-Linux is completely free, as are over 31,000 programs for it. Another thing I particularly like, using the dual boot is that I can go in Windoz partitions using Linux.You don't even need to run an anti-virus program.
Try it, you'll like it!

Ath:
You're quite late to the (Linux) party, but welcome :tellme:

40hz:
Late, early, or in between - it doesn't matter much once you've arrived.  :)

Welcome to the penguin party fellow DoCo member Tosim. Always glad to greet another 'Nix' user! :Thmbsup:

kilele:
I prefer Mint11 with the good old Gnome2 desktop manager. Unfortunately, it is not supported anymore so I looked for distributions with Gnome2. I can recommend SolusOS adn Stella(CentOS).

Another good distro based on MATE (and Debian) is Pointlinux.

Tinman57:
  I'll be following your footsteps before too long.  I'm going to do a dual-boot with Linux as the primary.  I've still got a lot of investigating to do before I figure out which flavor of Linux that I want.  Either way, I'm kind of excited about it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version