ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shift to Linux

<< < (5/10) > >>

40hz:
That's insulting.
-barney (June 01, 2013, 12:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

PDFTT  ;) 8)

barney:
PDFTT  ;) 8)
-40hz (June 01, 2013, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry.  Sometimes my fingers get ahead of good sense  :-\ :P.

mahesh2k:
1 year 6 months and counting, no firewall and anti-virus needed so far on ubuntu. I am using few windows apps via Crossover (got it from the last novembers giveaway. Tired of linux is not ready for desktop rants, tbh. If you are using computer mostly for browser and few stuff here and there, then I don't think switching to linux ( or mac) is that hard.

40hz:
no firewall and anti-virus needed so far on ubuntu.
-mahesh2k (June 01, 2013, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW there may not be that much malware targeting Linux machines to date (compared to Windows) - but that will change once Linux becomes a  target with a high enough value for the blackhats to dedicate sufficient resources to hacking.

I still use an antivirus scanner on every machine I own. Windows machines because they need one. Linux and BSD machines (especially servers) because I don't want to spread infected Windows files that may be stored on them by other machines - even if the Nix boxes themselves won't be  directly affected by it.

There's also all those cross-platform Java programs we can worry about if we ever feel left out... ;D

8)

TaoPhoenix:
I got a horrible mood when I just could not update a few things because of bad libraries or something...
-TaoPhoenix (June 01, 2013, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of personal curiosity, which distro were you using? What were the things that wouldn't update? And how long ago was it that you ran into that?
 :)
-40hz (June 01, 2013, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Two different versions of uBuntu messed up bad on me.

The last time when I gave up was when my test box very specifically didn't like one of the then-new versions. It was something like 4-10 was fine and 10-10 hosed my box so bad it wouldn't boot the screen driver. A Sub-Sub-Distro fixed that, but about that point I just began to lose interest in it all.

A couple years earlier Dapper Drake (X-06?) created its own problems and ran itself into the ground on a Dell box. Then in general I just tried to update some stuff A' La Windows and got into DLL Hell. I'm gonna get a bit aggressive here and say no it's not okay for that to be "way back when", ... when Windows 2000 and its pony child Windows XP were *five years earlier* and are still the measuring sticks of Windows, *five* versions later. So no, I won't put up with *twelve* versions of Ubuntu, half of which are reported to cause problems per the forums and two of which caused severe problems for me personally.

Not insignificantly, I have a few Snacks from here, and they ... wait for it ... run on Windows. Plus a ton of other stuff that's Windows Only.

So I get the philosophy, I really do, but MS won. They played the long game and held on tight, and they won.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version