topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Customizing a second (or more!) computer  (Read 3724 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Customizing a second (or more!) computer
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:19 PM »

I am just starting to use my laptop more. I am discovering just how many useful things I have done to my project machine over the years, so now that I am reaching for toys, I keep going "eek! that's not on here yet!"

One of these years I want to make a super batch of all the little toys I use. Today I just dug up MilesAhead's BBSS again...

: )

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Customizing a second (or more!) computer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:48 PM »
I suppose it would be a little too obvious to suggest keeping a list of your current favs and customizing notes someplace - like a notebook, text file, or database?  ;)  ;D

I use Softvoile's Flashnote for this, and keep a file on each machine I use. Since it can be popped up with a hot key, it's great for impromptu jotting while still providing a standard dual-pane tree interface for whatever level of organization you feel you need to keep.
 :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:09 AM »
I suppose it would be a little too obvious to suggest keeping a list of your current favs and customizing notes someplace - like a notebook, text file, or database?  ;)  ;D

I use Softvoile's Flashnote for this, and keep a file on each machine I use. Since it can be popped up with a hot key, it's great for impromptu jotting while still providing a standard dual-pane tree interface for whatever level of organization you feel you need to keep.
 :Thmbsup:

Well, beyond the text list, even better is a giant super zip of all the install files, because having to retrieve them all is half the nuisance (wait, goddammit Chris G's Unzip Snack isn't here yet either? Hehe).

But yeah eventually a list of tweaks would be nice too, it's just so much work. In a way more my style is just sitting my laptop next to the desktop machine and playing the "what's different between the two" game : )

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:14 AM »
If you do want to keep copies of your app's installers you'll probably want to have the most recent versions rather than what you  originally loaded. An update monitor/autodownloader called  Ketarin can help with that. It's occasionally buggy, and also isn't able to monitor everything, but it works pretty well for many things. Better than nothing at least. Find it here.

Ketarin is a small application which automatically updates setup packages. As opposed to other tools, Ketarin is not meant to keep your system up-to-date, but rather to maintain a compilation of all important setup packages which can then be burned to disc or put on a USB stick.

I'm also partial to Secunia PSI for checking on available updates for what's installed on my PCs. Find it here.

The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave your PC open to attacks. Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe. The Secunia PSI even automates the updates for your insecure programs, making it a lot easier for you to maintain a secure PC.

Even more important is to have backups of your drivers since they're usually the biggest hassle to hunt down and replace when redoing a machine. BooZet's Double Driver is a nice utility that will allow you to keep re-installable copies of all your drivers.

Any time I get a PC in for a full redo, I'll load this on the machine and grab all the drivers. Years ago I learned this the hard way after a spent a week hunting down a driver for a VIAO I reformatted. I was able to locate all the drivers save for one needed by the soundcard for its microphone input to work. (It wasn't a fun experience.) You can get Double Driver here.

One of the main reasons why you would want to collect installed drivers is if you don’t have the Driver CD that came with the computer or they are unavailable online. This comes in quite handy if you purchase a computer and want to backup the initial set of drivers. It can be quite difficulty for example to find drivers for hardware installed in a notebook if the operating system has to be setup again. Luckily Double Driver can now lend you a hand with that and save you a lot of time.

Double Driver is a very simple and useful tool which not only allows you to view all the drivers installed on your system but also allows you to backup, restore, save and print all chosen drivers.

Double Driver analyzes your system and lists the most important driver details such as version, date, provider, etc. All drivers that are found can easily be backed up the application and easily restored at a later point in one go.

8) :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:56 PM »
There's some good stuff there! I'll ponder it and use what parts of that advice my feeble abilities can manage!
 ;D

Edit: let me try asking a more targeted question:

I have perhaps 5 "big ticket" programs that you'd think of needing "famous" installs for - Firefox, LibreOffice, and so on. A lot of the smaller stuff is little stuff - consider DC stuff. How do I use those aggregators you mentioned to "watch for updates" to stuff like the little utilities here? For example the stuff by Skwire, Chris G, MilesAhead, they all have varying links to x versions. Then misc install copies all over elsewhere - so how does an aggregator know where to look for them?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:27 PM by TaoPhoenix »