ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help needed with computer problem

<< < (6/7) > >>

wraith808:
haven't tried taking out all gfx cards... but I have switched it out to no avail.  Do you think that it might be the card slot or something?

mouser:
haven't tried taking out all gfx cards... but I have switched it out to no avail.  Do you think that it might be the card slot or something?
--- End quote ---

when diagnosing computer problems -- the technique is remove and swap everything you possibly can.  you want to eliminate possibilities.  so if there are cards you can remove, remove 'em!

4wd:
haven't tried taking out all gfx cards... but I have switched it out to no avail.  Do you think that it might be the card slot or something?
--- End quote ---

when diagnosing computer problems -- the technique is remove and swap everything you possibly can.  you want to eliminate possibilities.  so if there are cards you can remove, remove 'em!
-mouser (May 27, 2013, 12:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer starting from an absolutely base system and working forward from there (assuming onboard gfx):
1) CPU + MB                      = beep codes
2) CPU + MB + RAM            = BIOS
3) CPU + MB + RAM + ODD  = run a LiveCD
etc...etc

Gfx card would be the last thing I plug in since this system doesn't need it.

The less components you start with the better, AFAIAC, since I never trust what I swap in unless it came from a known working system.  It also progressively loads up the PSU, (I know you've already swapped it), who knows, it might be that plugging in the gfx card or a HDD causes an unacceptable voltage fluctuation on the supply rails.

If it fails at just CPU+MB+RAM, there's only really two things I'd try: reseating the CPU and/or reflashing the BIOS

BTW, I know you've said it hangs with either RAM stick but who is to say they both aren't bad?

Unless you can test them in another system, (or plug known working RAM in), you'll never know.

It all comes down to how much time/money you want to spend on it.

wraith808:
But CPU+MB won't do anything.  Which is why I'm going with what Stoic said.  I sort of knew it... but I was hoping I was wrong.  There's no codes at all for the no ram.

4wd:
But CPU+MB won't do anything.  Which is why I'm going with what Stoic said.  I sort of knew it... but I was hoping I was wrong.  There's no codes at all for the no ram.-wraith808 (May 27, 2013, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, missed your reply about the battery replacement  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version