topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The DonationCoder.com 30-Day Healthy Eating and Exercise Challenge!  (Read 54032 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Most beers have calorie counts printed on the label AFAIK, but I'm not a drinker, so my knowledge is a bit limited.  After doing a little searching on the 'net, the highest calorie content I could find is 313 calories in Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot*, which doesn't seem like a horrible amount to me.  Most, or probably all, of that comes from carbohydrates in the brew, so your exercise should be tailored to burning off carbs.  Trouble is, beer also contains alcohol (duh), which is a depressant, so exercise will seem less appealing and probably feel more difficult after relaxing with a pint (or two).  
My recommendation?  I'm no exercise guru, but I'd say calculate how much you'll most likely be drinking and the calories thereof,  and adjust your exercise accordingly.  And for pete's sake don't drink any just before naps or bedtime.  That will prod your system to metabolize and store the carbohydrates (quick energy source) into fat (long-term energy source).

*Data from:
http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm
http://www.fitsugar....opular-Beers-1504697

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like to have the beer AFTER exercise -- depressant or not, it's a great motivator in that capacity.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :up: :up: :up: for motivation  :P!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D You may have something there, Allen.
Which is why I said adjust your exercise regimen accordingly.  No use drinking back what you just took off :P
Back when I was a drinker (oh, so long ago...) I'd drink it whenever it was available, and that was often to my detriment, which is why I don't anymore.  
You natural moderation folks puzzle me so... :huh:

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Natural moderation is as follows:
  • Drinking problem?
  • Drink, get drunk, fall down.
  • No Problem.

So?  Where's the puzzle :-\?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Natural moderation is a calculated effort to avoid having to ever say I'm a former drinker  :P

soulwanderer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm in (I did not see the thread before...), but because I began with this 3 weeks ago, this is a great way of motivating myself...

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, so it's been almost a week, and I've managed to get in a few static exercises every other day (sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, and not that many, either :( ), but today I played tennis (barely) with my son for about 30-40 minutes.  Planning on going out again tomorrow if the weather's nice and kick a soccer ball between us at the local school field.  Maybe even take a jog around the running path.  
I kinda cheated on the sweets as we finished a box of ice cream between us in about 4 days (surprised it lasted that long...).  My wife has been eating/cooking healthy since complications from gall bladder surgery, so I'm not eating junk for meals.  
How's everybody else doing?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've been on the treadmill 30 minutes a day since the start, and eating well in general.

Unfortunately i was probably eating a candy-bar's worth of chocolate each night for the first few days as i polished off my supply of delicious Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips.  But that's gone now and i'm on track.

So i'd say i'm doing well so far.  :up:

soulwanderer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congrats for the good work!

On my side it is difficult to exercise (interesting times ahead), so not using the lift, parking further from the office, and giving a walk is all I can do...

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been meticulously watching calorie intake, staying below my BMR and riding my bicycle 5-6 days a week, as weather permits.  I feel physically and mentally fantastic, a far cry from the funk I've been in the last year or so.

Mouser, buy some dark chocolate--there are a ton of studies that indicate eaten in moderation it's not just ok, it's good for you. Antioxidants, lower blood pressure, happiness (because dark chocolate is better than no chocolate!)...

On my side it is difficult to exercise (interesting times ahead), so not using the lift, parking further from the office, and giving a walk is all I can do...
-soulwanderer (May 30, 2013, 05:03 AM)

There's nothing wrong with walking, soulwanderer! It's exercise, and infinitely better for you than a bag of potato chips on the couch.

Edit: And I picked up one of these: Fitbit One -- so awesome.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser, buy some dark chocolate--there are a ton of studies that indicate eaten in moderation it's not just ok, it's good for you. Antioxidants, lower blood pressure, happiness (because dark chocolate is better than no chocolate!)...

Even better... what I've gotten as a treat is dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds, with no added sugar!  It's not as sweet as a normal treat, but it is still good.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Even better... what I've gotten as a treat is dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds, with no added sugar!  It's not as sweet as a normal treat, but it is still good.

That sounds amazing, and what a combination of textures in there!

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just to check in, I've been slow jogging daily down a dirt road exactly 4/10 of a mile long. First day was a struggle, but today down and back without slowing my pace. I hope to double the distance each week but we'll see.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Check in ...

Good with food (lots of salad, veg and fruit, small amounts of meat) except for Wednesday when I went to the theatre and ended up eating out!

Exercise not so good - been suffering from insomnia and it is very hard to get motivated to do anything much. Even cello practice has suffered in the last week!

Alcohol - couple of glasses of red wine ... that's it folks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 to walking being very good - great for the breathing and metabalism, and the general mood too.

Still not eating enough veg. nor salad myself (that was my plan). Otherwise fairly healthy food-wise.
Was bouldering last week, that was good fun - was a bit achy afterwards but not too bad. Doing physical work this week, so left the exercise out :p
I tend to avoid exercise where you really gotta use those lungs - swimming (local outdoor pool still bloody freezing); jogging I never got into; could get into cycling again.
Will see :)

edit/ when I say bouldering - I wasnt doing any overhanging rocks type of thing - just 'easy' routes straight up...
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a little FYI: National Candy Month begins today, in the US.  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Bad, bad, woman.  ;D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Bad, bad, woman.  ;D

Also found out, after I made that post, that it's also National Fruit and Vegetable Month.  :D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also found out, after I made that post, that it's also National Fruit and Vegetable Month.  :D

Now there's a combo:  fruit, vegetables, and candy  ;).  Sounds the ideal non-diet  :P.  Wonder whether the meal would be a stew, a salad, ...  :-\?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So far so good.. Though i'm still craving snacks and sweets like mad.

I do want to say a good word about my treadmill -- it's the one piece of exercise equipment i've ever used that i can see sticking with.  I think it works mainly because I have a tv/ipad in front of it and this is absolutely essentially to keeping me from getting bored.  It also helps a lot that I can just hop on it barefoot and walk at an incline for reasonable exercise.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The key to busting your sweet and snack craving is to substitute stuff that's good.  I know, I know, carrot sticks != snicker bars, but figure out a few things that are good for you that you actually enjoy, and keep count of the calories and content.  I do adore celery sticks with peanut butter, and besides the oil in the peanut butter, it's quite good for you.  I have also found that if you're in the mood, a flavored protein shake satisfies cravings for milkshakes and whatnot, and the protein gives you a very hunger-satisfied feeling for quite a while.  All marketing hype aside (I'm not a shill), the Jay Robb vanilla is quite tasty without being chalky or loaded with a bunch of filler ingredients.  I don't recommend the chocolate flavor, but YMMV.

Progress: Another 30-min tennis bout with my son and a long walk around the park and down the beach yesterday.  My lovely wife is cooking some sort of pasta dish today, so my carbs are tapped for the next 3 days or so. ;D
Otherwise, doing OK.  Lost some of the bloated feeling after meals, and I seem to breathe easier when tying my shoes.  Could be natural fluctuations though; let's see how the rest of the week feels.

One question: I know stress plays a part in the health theater, and I'm up for a bit of an increase in that for the next two weeks as my floor lead is on vacation and my work expects me to fill her shoes while she's gone.  I've never been good at being a super-organized or management type, and she definitely is, so I'm wondering how that will affect me.  I'll prolly be tempted to do caffeine again, what's you folk's advice on that?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stres will absolutely make it harder for you to resist eating junk food.. My understanding of current thinking on will power is that it's much like a limited resource -- the more will power you have to assert to deal with one thing, the less you have "left over" for something else.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sort of pasta dish today, so my carbs are tapped for the next 3 days or so

I've definitely found that a low-carb diet works fairly well for me in terms of being something that helps lose weight while leaving me feeling good and being palatable.  only thing i crave is pizza and fruit.

ps. I've started a new thread for member recipes: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=35091

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Though i'm still craving snacks and sweets like mad.

Might think about berries and fruits.  I've found blueberries and strawberries and cantaloupe to be [finally  :-\] a satisfying snack most any time of day.  Not too fond of bananas, but they can be satisfying at times.  Peaches, pears, apples ... mostly low-sweet, but the varying textures can satisfy most tastes.  (Don't do, for instance, strawberries, if you are subject to diverticulitis, nor nuts.)  Almonds or hazelnuts are, while not particularly sweet, are also very satisfying snacks.  So are pistachios, but I find them to require more work than I'm willing to perform just for a nut  ;).