topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Programming Confessions  (Read 3042 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Programming Confessions
« on: May 05, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Something hit me the other day... Due to my early training in Apple Basic, I have a mental disorder that goes like this: whenever I have to use a dollar sign in any computing capacity, whether just typing or as a variable signifier, I mentally say the word "String" when I type it. That's because in Apple Basic, $ meant "string" as in, a string-type variable like a name or a password.
10 A$="Hello World"
20 Print A$
(and it took a quantum leap of faith to realize that line numbers were no longer required in modern programming...)
Then it occurred to me that Programming, like any other occupation, has the potential to produce anomalous behavior that would otherwise be potentially embarrassing if it wasn't effective. So I have a question... Anyone have an old programming habit you cannot break? Use your favorite language the "wrong" way? Done a full gui app when a batch file would have done the job better just because you have Visual Studio? Or did you do ever catch yourself doing OOP with Assembly? Let's hear it...