topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Quick blog/site (for images) where I'm contactable *without having to join*  (Read 5234 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm a complete noob in the world of blogs - or whatever I need here (read on!)

Here's what I need:

• I want to set up a quick website (focus is images - I just want to show a bunch of samples)
  • I want people to be able to contact me directly (PM style) without having to join the site
    (I dunno here: I dont really want to publicly display an email address, but maybe there's another workaround here? Including an email address as an image could be a solution.)

Tumblr is actually really nice -
I can make a really simple scrollable page with a series of images:

Screenshot - 2013-05-20 , 21_26_29.pngQuick blog/site (for images) where I'm contactable *without having to join*

BUT - contact is a problem via Tumblr:
there is an 'ask' page, but the question get's posted to my page/blog (possibly only when I answer it, but still - it's privacy is uncertain).

It's nothing top-secret, I just want people to be able to contact me and that they be able to safely include *their* contact details.

Free is good - but monthly payment is not a problem.
Dont have time/money at the moment to get this done properly i.e. my own website - but also this might only be a short-term site.
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about using Wordpress and it's actual contact form for contacting you. It goes into an email which is sent to you and not published publicly on your blog.

Or you can use any website, and a Google Docs form, like the one on my father's Blogger blog. Any data submitted from it goes to a spreadsheet on Google Docs and he gets an email when a new message is added.

Pick a template you like and modify it till it's just what you need. Once you are finished, add the code they give you to any web page.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mebbe ask our dear leader very nicely for a bit of space at dcmembers.com?  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Or you can use any website, and a Google Docs form, like the one on my father's Blogger blog. Any data submitted from it goes to a spreadsheet on Google Docs and he gets an email when a new message is added.

Pick a template you like and modify it till it's just what you need. Once you are finished, add the code they give you to any web page.

looks/sounds good - will try, thanks app :Thmbsup:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Update:
app offered to setup a site for me, - it's all done now :up:
 I'll quote myself from Cranioscopical's thread:

I have become an expert in setting this stuff up.

I'll vouch for this: app has setup a site for me.
When I say 'setup', I mean everything from domain name to hosting to Wordpress plus a contact page (all free) - and all I did was be a fussy beggar when it came to choosing a theme :-)

I'm very happy with it :Thmbsup:
Tom

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Something I found a long time ago to allow people to contact me without providing my email is THIS.

I put it at the bottom of my one and only attempt at a webpage.
Nobody has ever used it,  :( then again I doubt anybody has ever found it.  :D
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi