ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Preferences UI accept / apply button naming & function

(1/2) > >>

cathie28:
Question & slight issue w/ function of the preferences UI accept & apply buttons.
1st, aren't apply & accept synonyms?  I believe so.  Confusing.  Shouldn't they be Apply (the changes) & OK (to close the UI)?

Also, when make a change & click Apply, the Apply button is still focused & isn't grayed out after applying (it should be grayed out).  Can't tell for sure if you correctly hit the Apply button or if it accepted changes.
Almost any app grays out the Apply button once clicked & then immediately moves the focus to the OK button, so can close the screen by just hitting Enter - if wish to exit right away.  Otherwise, can continue making other changes.

hamradio:
Just another SC user and my understanding is the accept button closes the preferences saving the changes and apply saves them, but keeps the preferences open. :)

cathie28:
OK - thanks.  Still, after applying changes in most apps, convention is to gray them after applying changes. 

Not a big fan of making / naming things differently than everyone else, just to be different. 

Mouser - you march to the beat of a different drummer, which is often needed for innovation.   I can identify.

mouser:
Not a big fan of making / naming things differently than everyone else, just to be different.
--- End quote ---

i'm not either -- i hate that! i'm just very bad at figuring out what the standard way to do things is !  :-[

Still, after applying changes in most apps, convention is to gray them after applying changes.
--- End quote ---

yes, that would be better -- i just don't track changes well enough to do that for the SC options.

the apply button is pretty much useless in this case -- it only has value for a couple of settings like thumbnail options, where hitting Apply can show you what the effect of a settings change would be before you accept.

cathie28:
Still, after applying changes in most apps, convention is to gray them after applying changes.

>>yes, that would be better -- i just don't track changes well enough to do that for the SC options.
--- End quote ---
I don't understand what that means.  "I don't track changes well enough..."  Does that mean you don't think you'd change the apply button to gray out after clicking?
If it means that SSC doesn't track changes, any change made in prefs would light up "Apply" & clicking it would gray it out.  Maybe you're saying SSC has no way to check if changes have been made?

As far as HOW to do it, there'd be 1000's of examples, because that's the way it's almost always done.  It's not a big issue, though.

I didn't know it would show you a "preview" of some changes.  In apps w/ that ability, they name that the Preview button.  Then have another called Save (settings), or Apply.  There may / may not be another button - OK (which closes the screen) or just Close.

Apps that deviate much from standard convention of controlling UIs are confusing to me.   I've seen apps / addons that have NO buttons to save, apply, close, OK - nothing.  Just make changes, exit & hope for the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version