topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need help with FARR appearance tweaks  (Read 5237 times)

ajfudge

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need help with FARR appearance tweaks
« on: May 28, 2013, 03:45 PM »
First thing:
I learned so much from this board so I hope that whatever I ask has a solution. I think this is my first time posting. I was hesitant to ask here at first because it's kinda intimidating, aside from the fact that mouser (thank you, btw) isn't a big fan of custom skinning. But then again, why not. So here goes.

First thing and a half:
FARR had been living in my hard disk unused for a long time since at the time Launchy is workable.
I like Launchy because: Hello, eye candy. And coming from a launch-via-dock culture (i.e. Rocketdock), appearance is a supplement that's no longer just an option but a reward to users (Yes, that's an emphasis  ;D).
I don't like Launchy anymore because: It's 2013 and the latest release was two Windows OSes ago. And well, it seemed to be not optimized to newer OSes and the fact that indexing i supposed to speed things up, why the heck is Launchy always lagging? Not to mention that the occasional updating of index affects my workflow to the point that I have to spend 10 minutes smoking so my PC wouldn't throw a tantrum if I continue using it (Yes, I'm a multi-tasker who abuse my RAM  ;))
So now I switched to FARR. And with slenderFARR skin, everything is operable. But because my eyes just can't take in too much whiteness, I also tried to create my own skin (see screenshots below), a "skill" I attribute to the resources I found here.

Question no. 1 has something to do with VCL Skin Builder:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/ajfudge14/screenshot%20workarounds/FARR/Bylineskn_3.png

1) What is HeaderControl? Coz I don't see anything change when I tested changing it with a pure neon-green image.

Question 2 still regarding VCL Skin Builder:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/ajfudge14/screenshot%20workarounds/FARR/Bylineskn_2.png

2) How do I change the appearance of that thing labeled "Toolbar" and "Button2"?

Finally, Question 3:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/ajfudge14/screenshot%20workarounds/FARR/FARR2.png
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/ajfudge14/screenshot%20workarounds/FARR/FARR.png

3)Since the searchbar and result box is not affected by the skin, how do I tweak its appearance? Yes, I did find it in the Options, but how do I choose colors other than what's listed in the dropdown selection? Can I used an image to make it as background?

Thank you to anyone who'll help. :)

-ajfudge

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need help with FARR appearance tweaks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:30 PM »
hi ajfudge!

I don't know the answers to #1 and #2, but for #3, you did find the right option for it (on the advanced visuals tab in FARR settings).  I will change the color controls in those options so that you can pick any color not just from a dropdown list, and i'll look into the possibility of using an image as background.

ajfudge

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:24 PM »
hi mouser,

Thanks! Anyway, I'm finding it weird that the extension column's bg color did not change, as can be seen in the screenshot. Is this normal?

Sidenote:
I discovered your other app. Screen Captor. It looks promising so I'm trying it out right now. I noticed that it has some extra selection for colors. That's nice :)

Anyway, I hope someone could help me with VCL Builder.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26 PM »
I'm finding it weird that the extension column's bg color did not change,

sounds like a bug, putting it on my todo list to fix.