ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

<< < (3/12) > >>

vlastimil:
... and being able to open/save vectors in a format that is acceptable for professional use ...
-app103 (May 06, 2013, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assume you mean .pdf or .ps ? Or am I wrong?

tomos:
... and being able to open/save vectors in a format that is acceptable for professional use ...
--- End quote ---

-vlastimil (May 07, 2013, 02:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I could well be wrong as I havent used more recent versions, but I thought that Photoshop only exported paths to illustrator, i.e. in .ai/illustrator format.
I guess like the doc format for word-processors, any serious graphic software has to be able to open that though :-\

app103:
--- End quote ---

-vlastimil (May 07, 2013, 02:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I could well be wrong as I havent used more recent versions, but I thought that Photoshop only exported paths to illustrator, i.e. in .ai/illustrator format.
I guess like the doc format for word-processors, any serious graphic software has to be able to open that though :-\
-tomos (May 07, 2013, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

ai, eps, pdf (the ones the printers will accept)

Illustrator does export in those formats, and there are a few other apps that do, as well, but Paintshop's .eps support is awful, and the .ai & .pdf support is nonexistent. For the most part, all you get that works well, and doesn't mess up your artwork is .psp, and the printers won't accept that.

tomos:
^ah okay, I thought ye were comparing with Photoshop (just in case not clear: I was talking about Photoshop's capabilities when exporting *paths* - not pixels).

I havent heard much positive about Corel unfortunately over the years. I do know of people who were using it professionally but not for publication.

FWIW when creating PDF's, I've also had trouble *with certain fills* with the supposedly dream combination Illustrator and Acrobat/distiller (CS4 & CS3 respectively). My solution was to (successfully) use the free PDFCreator (which is also unfortunately included in the "Contest" - The most difficult Opt Out screens on installs!? thread).

I dont often get stuff published/offset-printed but have had no problems with the PDFCreator PDF's.

app103:
^ah okay, I thought ye were comparing with Photoshop (just in case not clear: I was talking about Photoshop's capabilities when exporting *paths* - not pixels).

I havent heard much positive about Corel unfortunately over the years. I do know of people who were using it professionally but not for publication.

FWIW when creating PDF's, I've also had trouble *with certain fills* with the supposedly dream combination Illustrator and Acrobat/distiller (CS4 & CS3 respectively). My solution was to (successfully) use the free PDFCreator (which is also unfortunately included in the "Contest" - The most difficult Opt Out screens on installs!? thread).

I dont often get stuff published/offset-printed but have had no problems with the PDFCreator PDF's.
-tomos (May 07, 2013, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not trying to solve a problem here, trying to point one out...and the problem is Corel, as a company, makes a habit of dropping the ball and destroying previously great applications by not developing them in a way that allows them to become even better. If they had, then Paintshop Pro would be next in line to become the industry standard, behind Photoshop and Illustrator, a real alternative for those looking to migrate away from Adobe, their cloud crap, and still be able to have a boxed product.

My complaints about file formats was just an example of one of the many ways they failed to improve the product and bring it up to the level a professional would require. Instead they wasted developer resources on rather useless stuff. Corel really missed the boat, this time, and I hope they are kicking themselves...hard.

And I don't see PDFCreator as a good substitute, since it's not likely you can use it to draw stuff like this, from scratch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version