ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New PC double-take

(1/3) > >>

x16wda:
This caught my eye in this week's Staples flyer:

New PC double-take

What does this mean?  Did Staples find a cache of older boxes that were lost in the warehouse behind the paper?  A trailer that never got unloaded?

More importantly, how fast do you think people will snap them up?  :P

Of course, the market for all-in-one boxes might not be particularly operating system aware...

rgdot:
Windows 7 PCs are still on sale through most, if not all, channels. Everything from the local independent to big box stores and for business clients as well.

40hz:
^Agree.

Microsoft hasn't been too successful in strong-arming corporate IT to knuckle under to Windows 8. At least in its present incarnation. Something which will (of necessity) change if Microsoft doesn't want to be sitting with a complete desktop flop on their hands.

As long as Microsoft wants to maintain its present dominance on today's main productivity hardware platforms, they'll continue to sell Windows 7.  Even if they have to lie about it and fudge the sales statistics by only selling Windows 8 -  but with 'downgrade rights' to 7 - same as they did with Windows 7 to XP.

But long before that issue comes to a head, I think you'll see Windows 8 ship with the option to install with a default 'traditional desktop' and probably a "desk toy" to bring back something very similar to the old start button, even if they never call it that - or officially support it.

Most big businesses hate it when they're wrong about their most recent brainstorm or pet initiative. And Microsoft hates being told they're wrong more than most businesses. Possibly because they've been proven so wrong so often.

At least Apple has the advantage of having a mindset that is immune to criticism and scorn. But Apple is a cult masquerading as a technology company. So the rules that govern most of the tech world simply don't apply to Apple. And probably never will.

Unfortunately for those who covet Apple's unique position, the world will only tolerate one maverick or "bad-boy" company at a time. Apple can just because they're Apple. Microsoft can't because they're not. Simple as that.

Which is something Microsoft has yet to realize. Or accept.

So, nope! Windows 7 will be here for some time. Or will until such time as Microsoft can force the vast majority of its business users into their cloud services and hosted software offerings. Something they are most aggressively striving to accomplish as we speak.
 8)

TaoPhoenix:
^Agree.

Microsoft hasn't been too successful in strong-arming corporate IT to knuckle under to Windows 8. At least in its present incarnation. Something which will (of necessity) change if Microsoft doesn't want to be sitting with a complete desktop flop on their hands.

As long as Microsoft wants to maintain its present dominance on today's main productivity hardware platforms, they'll continue to sell Windows 7.  Even if they have to lie about it and fudge the sales statistics by only selling Windows 8 -  but with 'downgrade rights' to 7 - same as they did with Windows 7 to XP.

But long before that issue comes to a head, I think you'll see Windows 8 ship with the option to install with a default 'traditional desktop' and probably a "desk toy" to bring back something very similar to the old start button, even if they never call it that - or officially support it.

Most big businesses hate it when they're wrong about their most recent brainstorm or pet initiative. And Microsoft hates being told they're wrong more than most businesses. Possibly because they've been proven so wrong so often.

At least Apple has the advantage of having a mindset that is immune to criticism and scorn. But Apple is a cult masquerading as a technology company. So the rules that govern most of the tech world simply don't apply to Apple. And probably never will.

Unfortunately for those who covet Apple's unique position, the world will only tolerate one maverick or "bad-boy" company at a time. Apple can just because they're Apple. Microsoft can't because they're not. Simple as that.

Which is something Microsoft has yet to realize. Or accept.

So, nope! Windows 7 will be here for some time. Or will until such time as Microsoft can force the vast majority of its business users into their cloud services and hosted software offerings. Something they are most aggressively striving to accomplish as we speak.
 8)
-40hz (May 05, 2013, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm starting to giggle and think Microsoft has a Moth-Flame liking to being wrong! They keep trying to be some strange hybrid of Chinese Knockoff and Bully-Pulpit Industry-Mover. Their branding suffers badly from their old heritage of becoming dominant and then forcing whatever they want. On the music side, if they had bothered to do any competent audience impression testing, they wouldn't have made anything as half-baked as the Plays-For-Sure --> Zune --> Windows Phone 7 fiasco.

On the OS side, Vista was a desperation move, and they knew it wasn't ready, so they just resolved to "fake it" until Windows 7 came out. Meanwhile, no, they're not going to fix anything for Windows 8, *because they are now pretending to go to Yearly Releases and the next one is sorta ready! "Windows Blue" is indeed rumored to undo a lot of the PITA factor of Windows 8 ... and so they'll just leave Win8 sitting there!

I do believe they bulk license a ton of OEM copies, and then it does take a fairly long time for the makers to straggle their way through their licensed copies. Windows Vista was lurking until half past the intro of Win 7.

Just look at this history of branding! (With a couple minor omissions)
Me
XP
Blue

... Really?!
:D

x16wda:
With a couple minor omissions
-TaoPhoenix (May 05, 2013, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
NT was a minor omission? :P

FWIW I haven't seen any Win 7 boxes in the weekly flyers here for several months now.  That said, I don't find 8 so annoying... my main home PC came with it installed (it was an emergency replacement), and once I put a start menu utility on it has behaved much like 7.  I just recently brought up a test box with win 8 on it so I could get more familiar with how things get done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version