topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Camera technology - Impressive resolution of photography of a crowd scene.  (Read 9760 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Impressive resolution of photography of a crowd scene - this is the Vancouver Canucks Fan Zone along Georgia St. for Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, taken before the riots.
I'd never seen anything like this before. Interesting technology. Seems to be a composite picture.
Hard to lose yourself in a crowd with imaging technology like this. Who is using it? Looks rather like "You are being watched."
Makes you wonder why all that fuss about Google StreetView...
http://www.gigapixel...apan-canucks-g7.html
BEFORE THE RIOT version 1 - The Vancouver Canucks Fan Zone along Georgia St. for Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final was captured at 5:46 pm on June 15, 2011. It is made up of 216 photos (12 across by 18 down) stitched together, taken over a 15-minute span, and is not supposed to represent a single moment in time. The final hi-res file is 69,394 X 30,420 pixels or 2,110 megapixels. Special thanks to Bonita Howard and CBC Real Estate.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  My god, that is impressive!  Amazing how they can take great technology like this and then turn around and militarize it to the point that it infringes on our privacy.  This photo and facial recognition software they can find you in this crowd plus anyone that your with.  It's just plain scary when you think about it.....

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  I just had an OH MY GOD! moment while looking at this picture.  I zoomed in tight and was scrolling around seeing what everyone was doing when I saw this section of the picture.  It looks like either my ex-wife or one of her Triplet sisters. (In the green shirt)

VancouverPic.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Very cool.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I thought it pretty impressive - and each time, as technological invention and innovation advances, we get one of these "Wow!" surprises.
My immediate thought on seeing it was "Where can I view the Boston marathon shots?"    :huh:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Where can I view the Boston marathon shots?"

-I know you didn't ask for this...: http://www.boston.co...boston_marathon.html , but I am posting anyway.

---------------

Already 3 years ago we were talking a bit about the extremely large version of The Last Supper. The homepage has been taken down or renamed, so I no longer have a valid link. But the story was mentioned many places.

http://www.bitrebels...-picture-ever-taken/

The original 15 by 30 foot painting was photographed over a period of 9 hours and later meticulously stitched together where the tapestry of images finally became a fully viewable and zoom-able image. This image has never before been seen in it’s full scale on the Internet.

Just to clarify, the entire image takes up over 2 terabytes of hard disk space and it takes 16 gigabyte of ram memory to correctly process it in real time. The gallery now sports even more images in the same high resolution format so if you’re looking for awesomeness then Halta Definizione is a great place to get it.

Now Leonardo da Vinci’s painting can be viewed by millions down to the very last detail. The Internet and the technology we see advancing each and every day never ceases to amaze me. To view the 16.118.035.591 pixel (172181 x 93611) image just go to their website and be inspired!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^^ Thanks Curt. I had seen those shots.
Using the tried-and-tested technology, I would assume that all crowd scenes could be gathered and imaged as per the OP link to the  the Vancouver Canucks Fan Zone taken before the riots.
Why would police/government agencies therefore not have been taking high resolution crowd surveillance images before and during and after the Boston event? I mean, if they were already running a bomb-threat exercise including rooftop surveillance, Navy Seals and sniffer-dogs...?

It may be that the Boston high resolution images haven't been made publicly available as they are confidential surveillance images for use only by police/government agencies, and could infringe on someone's privacy rights, or something.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Curt:
Re The Last Supper image: you provided the link that goes to a BitRebels post that links to the image at Halta Definizione | Website - but that link does not work.
However, if you go to the Halta Definizione home page, you will be able to register to view the gallery of images they have, presumably including The Last Supper - though I haven't tried it.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That is some impressive tech, no doubt.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IainB: I registered for the Halta Definizione site and found "The Last Supper" there. Below are the images available to those registered:

Clipboard01.jpg

Below are the images available in the Gallery to those not registered:

Clipboard02.jpg

Anyone here beside him interested in them?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Arizona Hot: I thought @Curt might have been interested in the Last Supper pix.
I didn't try to go into the home page to register.