ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc compares antivirus memory usage

<< < (2/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Yeah, I want to see this too. I was never all that worried about the memory usage, but MS Sec Essentials chews through a lot of cpu for me especially when booting.-TaoPhoenix (April 30, 2013, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strange, I've never noticed it ... But then again I seldom reboot.

I think over all most of these test are inherently flawed in their attempt to pinpoint specific resource usage numbers at key (idle/scanning) points. When the true measure is really more a question of how deeply does the AV insinuate itself into everything? I frequently see processes that appear to be hogging resources, but in reality they're just fighting with the (chronically over zealous) AV to get loaded into memory.

Norton may indeed be able to claim good resource usage numbers ... But I've yet to see a machine that didn't run 10 times better after it was removed...because they just fiddle with stuff to much.

tomos:
My biggest problems with AV's are when downloading - they tend to not only check the download but also the contents of the download folder which tends to be over-full - or simply when navigating within any file dialogue (save/open).
I guess those two overlap.

MSE used to really slow things down as per above, but it has improved and stabilised the last few months.

TaoPhoenix:
My biggest problems with AV's are when downloading - they tend to not only check the download but also the contents of the download folder which tends to be over-full - or simply when navigating within any file dialogue (save/open).

MSE used to really slow things down as per above, but it has improved and stabilised the last few months.
-tomos (April 30, 2013, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh my download folder is empty! That's because I save each and every download to the desktop, whereupon then I process it out and move it somewhere. I never liked a lot of the "standard" folders from Windows - Downloads, My Documents, My Pictures, My ____, and a lot of the weird temp folders.

4wd:

-tomos (April 30, 2013, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's too bad that it doesn't have the option to only scan files when they are opened - like most other AV programs.

Tinman57:
  I posted this same story but from a different source yesterday, and I'll be darned if I know where it went???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version