topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Favorite Firefox Builds for Windows?  (Read 7019 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Favorite Firefox Builds for Windows?
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Hallo gang.

This time I am approaching the browser question from a different angle. The opener.

I like Firefox.

The funny thing is, web services especially Yahoo Mail like to keep track of logins and so even if you close and re-open your browser instance, it/they tend to ask "weren't you logged in as X? Log in again (or click here to change user names).  Other things include if I have a bunch of browser windows open it's a pain to try to save the whole sessions etc.

My cute workaround is: use different FF builds! For example, PaleMoon. Instead of the usual "which is better", right now they look almost equal. But they count as separate apps, so I can have two sets of Yahoo mails, or I can close one and keep all the windows open on another, etc. It's also a nice visual cue to see the orange fox has one set of articles, the blue moon has another set.

But I need another couple. I have at least three and sometimes four different Yahoo mails to juggle, and it would be nice to have another couple of colors!  : )

So do you have favorite FF builds that do something neat?

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Favorite Firefox Builds for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Why not use a single mail account to manage all the addresses? I know Gmail and Hotmail (or whatever microsoft calls it this year) can do that. I bet Yahoo also provides that functionality.

You can use labels to clearly identify mails from various accounts.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Why not use a single mail account to manage all the addresses? I know Gmail and Hotmail (or whatever microsoft calls it this year) can do that. I bet Yahoo also provides that functionality.

You can use labels to clearly identify mails from various accounts.

Interesting, but it feels like it would become a mix of overwhelming and confusing. Lemme check my stats...

There's the "mailing list email" that gathers/parks "grey mail" that technically isn't spam, because I know I signed up for it, which has some 5,000+ emails by now. The "family" email has another couple of thousand. The "leading internet persona" email tied to my screen handle that you see has several thousand more, and then there's the new one for the job search and a little networking that is beginning to gather a lot of Monster auto-emails but also traps junk job offers. And within those email systems they already have sort folders with filters on them. Then there's a couple of light use recreational emails as well.

So the system has has worked pretty well for several years. I just need a couple new FF builds for convenience : )

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Is it an option to use Multifox for different logins?

You can also run multiple instances of Firefox Portable.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 02:34 PM »

Those look like a couple of neat suggestions! What I will have to figure out is any differences between "multiple windows" when I re-click the icon, but apparently they all attach to the same session, vs some of your ideas might sufficiently segregate the sessions enough for Yahoo Mail. I'll try to get to those in a few days.

Edit:
Fixed Quote problem
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:35 PM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Haha!! It works!

The way you do it is RightClick for example the Yahoo Mail and "Open in a new identity profile". Now while it's still neat to have color coded firefoxes in the task bar, it makes a ton more sense to have the "orange ones" (regular Firefox) be emails, and "blue-grey ones" (PaleMoon) be other types of stuff going on!

Thank you!

:Thmbsup:

P.S. It seems to give me an error "not compatible with Pale Moon 19.0.2" so that clarifies which "version of Firefox" (The main one, aka the "Orange one") gets to get email duties.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:51 PM by TaoPhoenix »

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:36 PM »
It seems to give me an error "not compatible with Pale Moon 19.0.2"...
Hmm, it installs fine in Pale Moon Portable 20.0.1-x64 on my system*. I've no idea why it doesn't on yours.
Note that you can also add a MultiFox toolbar button, as a separate add-on.

* Yup, I also use "multi-Firefox" setup: Firefox as my default browser, Pale Moon Portable for wiki logins and a Firefox Portable for other persons in the household.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:41 PM »
It seems to give me an error "not compatible with Pale Moon 19.0.2"...
Hmm, it installs fine in Pale Moon Portable 20.0.1-x64 on my system*. I've no idea why it doesn't on yours.
Note that you can also add a MultiFox toolbar button, as a separate add-on.

* Yup, I also use "multi-Firefox" setup: Firefox as my default browser, Pale Moon Portable for wiki logins and a Firefox Portable for other persons in the household.

Well I see a version number clash there, so I'll look to see if there's a Palemoon V20.x I don't yet see in help.upgrade.

But at least you solved the basic problem! : )

ajfudge

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:40 PM »

Based on my experience, you can't run Firefox and Portable Firefox at the same time. As I understand it, the PortableApps.com platform fools the Windows OS into thinking that the portable apps you're running is installed. Once you closed the portable program, the PortableApps platform will do its job to transfer the temp files that the program used back into the folder together with the main folder of your portable program. I can't remember what exactly happened when I ran Firefox and Portable Firefox at the same time, but I can tell you that its behavior was quirky.