ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Internet's new content cops - meet 'The Deciders'

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

There's a very interesting (and vaguely alarming) article by Jeffrey Rosen over at New Republic that reports on a recent meeting hosted at Stanford Law School where a very small number of people working for some of the largest Internet businesses got together to formulate policies that will have a far reaching effect on what "content" actually makes it onto the web.

Read it here.

A year ago this month, Stanford Law School hosted a little-noticed meeting that may help decide the future of free speech online. It took place in the faculty lounge, where participants were sustained in their deliberations by bagels and fruit platters. Among the roughly two-dozen attendees, the most important were a group of fresh-faced tech executives, some of them in t-shirts and unusual footwear, who are in charge of their companies’ content policies. Their positions give these young people more power over who gets heard around the globe than any politician or bureaucrat—more power, in fact, than any president or judge.
--- End quote ---

:tellme:

app103:
Because in the US, censorship only violates your Constitutional right to free speech, if the government is doing it.  ;)

40hz:
^Exactly right. Most people don't know that. Give the lady a star! :Thmbsup:

But it gets even worse. What about intimidation and expectations of private speech when it comes to your employers? Lookee here. Scary!

app103:
But it gets even worse. What about intimidation and expectations of private speech when it comes to your employers? Lookee here. Scary!
-40hz (April 30, 2013, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still would approach that, if ever asked by an employer, to point out that my providing them with that would not only be me violating the TOS that applies to my account, but also prove that I am untrustworthy, a security risk to his company, and would be evidence of my inability to follow rules.  :D

And I would probably also add a bit of advice, that any current employee that actually complies with his request be promptly fired for it, and any prospective employee not be hired.

TaoPhoenix:
Well, going on the "Violate TOS" lines, compromising your account has been stretched a few times to be a violation of that law (what's-its-name), something like "computer use act".

So that's neat, break the law or get fired! There's a nice choice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version