topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA - Picture searcher  (Read 3789 times)

sicknero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA - Picture searcher
« on: June 21, 2013, 08:20 AM »
Somebody mentioned this in the Gizmo forum and it seems like such a fantastic idea I thought I'd bring it up here.

Basically, a program (ideally in Windows context menu) which operates like Tineye or Google Image Search but on local hard drives not the internet. You right click your pic, select the search and a target directory, and the prog finds images which are the same or similar.

I have a feeling it's probably way beyond the remit of coding snacks, but I thought I'd mention it anyway...

** My apologies by the way - I posted this first in the wrong place after reading the guidelines and forgetting to come to the right thread. If a mod could be so kind as to delete that one for me.  :-[ **

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA - Picture searcher
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:19 AM »
If a mod could be so kind as to delete that one for me.

Done, thank you.  =]

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Hey there .o/

It may not be exactly what you asked for, but you may be interested in Visipics ( see http://www.softpedia...thers/VisiPics.shtml for example).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:22 PM »
From the description, it seems as if Visipics depends on your telling it what directory you want it to look in.  I think a more useful program would be able to search your entire computer, or at least an entire drive.  One program that does this is IDM's UltraFinder, which can also find text files (not all that well, IMHO).  It does a better job with finding duplicate photos, but it's rather over-priced (again, IMHO) at $49.95.  I mention it only to suggest a feature that would be nice to have that Visipics doesn't offer.