ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022

<< < (108/156) > >>

IainB:
Just some feedback about a problem that SC v4.13.0 seems to have fixed and that I had thought was probably a OneNote issue, not a SC issue.
The MS OneNote user can copy from any OneNote page an image or a note "canvas"/placeholder containing images and text, and whatever was copied can then be pasted as a single image into an image-handling app. (e.g., irfanview). It's very handy.

Yesterday and today, using SC on two different laptops, I noticed that if:

* I clipped 2 separate images into OneNote, using the Send to OneNote tool, and then
* abutted the images on a Onenote page, one above the other with an invisible join so you didn't see the point where they met/joined, and then
* selected and copied both images simultaneously, or just copied the container holding them, and then
* pasted that into SC, or did a Create new image from Clipboard image, and then
* did a Deluxe splice that cut across the invisible join in the image,
* then SC would hang and could not be used, so I would have to kill the SC process and restart it to continue.
This was repeatable, but the workaround was to make sure that the image had been saved in its file first, and then perform the Deluxe splice. There was then no SC hang.

However, I can report that this behaviour seems to have gone away in the SC v4.13.0 Beta update, but there have also been some MS Office updates occurring in the background, so I am unsure as to which update (of MS Office or SC) is to blame for fixing the problem.

I was actually just on the point of using a NirSoft tool to extract the details of the contents of the Clipboard, so I could send it to you to see if you could throw some light on this behaviour, when I ran the SC v4.13.0 Beta update on one of the laptops and tested it and found this peculiar problem had gone away.

Hope that makes sense and is useful info.

mouser:
Interesting.. if we really wanted to be sure if 4.13 was the solution, then you could always install 4.12 on top of 4.13 temporarily and see if the problem is still there.  But as I've never heard of this issue before i'm happy to just write it off.

ps.
you do know that SC has a very easy built-in ability to combine images side-by-side (vertically, horizontally, with various automatic resizing options)?

IainB:
@mouser: Well it happened first in SC (v4.12.0) whilst using a Samsung-S3 laptop, and I (erroneously, as it turned out) put it down to probably being the Samsung's keyboard, which seems to have a problem that needs fixing at the BIOS level (the function keys, and function lock do not work properly). I guessed that the keyboard control processor or mouse could be outputting garbled instructions, or something.

However, yesterday I was using SC (v4.12.0) on a ToshibaL855D laptop and was surprised to see the exact same error. Now I think that by that stage, all the Win10 and MS Office auto-updates had completed, and it was then that I updated SC to v4.13.0. Testing after  that showed to my pleasant surprise that the error seemed to have gone away.

So, though I feel reasonably sure from the foregoing that the SC v4.13.0 update probably fixed it, I can't be certain.
I did think of doing exactly what you suggest - namely, "...install 4.12 on top of 4.13 temporarily and see if the problem is still there. ...", but, as you suggest, it is a new/uncommon issue, and since it's "gone away", I'd be unwilling to invest any more of my time in it unless I had to for some reason. It'd be of academic value at best.

You ask me "you do know that SC has a very easy built-in ability to combine images side-by-side (vertically, horizontally, with various automatic resizing options)?". Yes, I do know that, and I have occasionally used that functionality and its overlaying capability when I have needed it, but for me the issue tends to be "what's the quickest or most efficient way of getting the image manipulation done effectively?", and since a lot of the image capture tends to be via OneNote's Send to OneNote clipping tool, and imprecise clips are fine, then it is easiest to do it all in OneNote, wrapped up amongst the text in some notes, and completed there. The quality of the result is usually pretty impressive.

However, OneNote's image manipulation and drawing tools are mediocre at best, its overlaying is a joke and doesn't work, and so I rarely, if ever use OneNote for those things. Instead, to get the job done quickly, efficiently and effectively I then always use SC. In fact, it was whilst I was coaching my daughter on the use of SC for some work on a school project that I observed the error on her Samsung-S3 laptop. I'd told her how great SC was and how it made light work of the heavy lifting of image manipulation, and there it didn't work!    :-[

I was wanting to get to the bottom of it, and I was using the Toshiba as that was a known quantity. It's a virtual no-brainer to always use SC, because that is usually rock solid and reliable.

Looking ahead, it would be great if I could use SC in place of Send to OneNote, as a more efficient input front end to OneNote and as an efficient input front end to ABBYY Screenshot Reader. It would be even better if SC was also integrated with CHS and/or the MS OCR API - as I think I have separately suggested for CHS. ...    :)

makusan:
SCUploader is not working!  >:(

It just stopped...I'm unable to fix.

mouser:
I'm getting the same error, must be an issue with Imageshack as of today.. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Looks like the ImageShack website is currently down. Should be back up soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version