topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1198909 times)

ZeDMIN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi there,

i am a LITTLE bit confused about the versions that are currently available.
On the homepage the latest version is "v4.10.0", the forum thread title says "v4.11.0 BETA", the last changelog "v4.12.0 BETA" (4.11 was skipped there btw), the beta download "4.12.1 BETA" and the DC updater wants to update to "4.12.0" (without beta).
Can someone tell me, what's going on right now?  :D

Greetings,
Julius

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i am a LITTLE bit confused about the versions that are currently available.
On the homepage the latest version is "v4.10.0", the forum thread title says "v4.11.0 BETA", the last changelog "v4.12.0 BETA" (4.11 was skipped there btw), the beta download "4.12.1 BETA" and the DC updater wants to update to "4.12.0" (without beta).
Can someone tell me, what's going on right now?  :D

:)

I *think* mouser (the author) is on the road right now so the 'paperwork' seems to be not quite up-to-date.

I can say though:
if you are being offered 4.12 as an update, that does mean it is no longer in beta (you can see the changes made in the post prior to yours).
So, 4.12.1 is the new beta.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
tomos has it exactly right -- im on the road and didn't update the pages properly.
but as he says -- if you are being offered it as an update it is an official non-beta release.

ZeDMIN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ahh, okay, thanks for the clarification!  ;D

ilpro

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all. I like this program. 2 Questions:

1. Is it possible to anti-alias the brush strokes? I only see the option for objects.
2. Also, is there any way to make the brush size in between the 1 and the 2 setting? I find the former too fine, and the latter too thick. The snip tool in Windows has it just right.

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site, ilpro!
So few people seem to use the brush feature..
I see what you mean about the brush size -- let me look into that, and the antialiasing of the brush layer.

ilpro

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site, ilpro!
So few people seem to use the brush feature..
I see what you mean about the brush size -- let me look into that, and the antialiasing of the brush layer.

Thank you for the welcome and for looking into this.  With the increase in popularity of styluses, the brush tool, I think, will increasingly be needed as people like to mark up screen captures (circle, emphasize, jot a note).  This, and making the tool buttons larger, would make this a near-perfect program IMO!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Larger buttons are on my todo list.

ilpro

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.13.0 - Sep 12, 2015
« Reply #534 on: September 12, 2015, 05:49 PM »
LATEST VERSION:
v4.13.0 BETA - Sep 12, 2015
  • [BugFix] On Windows 10 (and 8?), active window captures were taking too long and could be blank if Aero capture options were disabled.
  • [BugFix] On Windows 10 (and 8?), active window captures sometimes looked as if they had an Aero theme added to them.
  • [BugFix] Program settings were sometimes not being saved when computer rebooted/shutdown.
  • [BugFix] Zip files were being shown in thumbnail panel.
  • [BugFix] Fixed error in sample commandline for custom emailer tool.
  • [BugFIx] Corrected link to ShareX website and improved instruction text for custom uploader configuration,
  • [BugFix] Corrected a few miscellaneous typos.
  • [Improvement] On Windows8/10, Aero capture mode was enabled by default, needlessly delaying active window captures; Aero options are now disabled by default for Windows 8/10.
  • [Improvement] When changing screenshot directories, the program no longer creates a temporary file to test for directory writeability.
  • [Improvement] Miscellaneous thumbnail panel improvements for compatibility with operating system.
  • [Improvement] Error message when selecting a PDF file in thumbnail list was not accurate.
  • [Improvement] Use of the -show commandline option was not bringing program to front if it was already visible.
  • [Improvement] New "Open Image" item on main file menu.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #535 on: September 18, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Just some feedback about a problem that SC v4.13.0 seems to have fixed and that I had thought was probably a OneNote issue, not a SC issue.
The MS OneNote user can copy from any OneNote page an image or a note "canvas"/placeholder containing images and text, and whatever was copied can then be pasted as a single image into an image-handling app. (e.g., irfanview). It's very handy.

Yesterday and today, using SC on two different laptops, I noticed that if:
  • I clipped 2 separate images into OneNote, using the Send to OneNote tool, and then
  • abutted the images on a Onenote page, one above the other with an invisible join so you didn't see the point where they met/joined, and then
  • selected and copied both images simultaneously, or just copied the container holding them, and then
  • pasted that into SC, or did a Create new image from Clipboard image, and then
  • did a Deluxe splice that cut across the invisible join in the image,
  • then SC would hang and could not be used, so I would have to kill the SC process and restart it to continue.

This was repeatable, but the workaround was to make sure that the image had been saved in its file first, and then perform the Deluxe splice. There was then no SC hang.

However, I can report that this behaviour seems to have gone away in the SC v4.13.0 Beta update, but there have also been some MS Office updates occurring in the background, so I am unsure as to which update (of MS Office or SC) is to blame for fixing the problem.

I was actually just on the point of using a NirSoft tool to extract the details of the contents of the Clipboard, so I could send it to you to see if you could throw some light on this behaviour, when I ran the SC v4.13.0 Beta update on one of the laptops and tested it and found this peculiar problem had gone away.

Hope that makes sense and is useful info.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:50 PM by IainB »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #536 on: September 18, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Interesting.. if we really wanted to be sure if 4.13 was the solution, then you could always install 4.12 on top of 4.13 temporarily and see if the problem is still there.  But as I've never heard of this issue before i'm happy to just write it off.

ps.
you do know that SC has a very easy built-in ability to combine images side-by-side (vertically, horizontally, with various automatic resizing options)?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #537 on: September 18, 2015, 07:53 PM »
@mouser: Well it happened first in SC (v4.12.0) whilst using a Samsung-S3 laptop, and I (erroneously, as it turned out) put it down to probably being the Samsung's keyboard, which seems to have a problem that needs fixing at the BIOS level (the function keys, and function lock do not work properly). I guessed that the keyboard control processor or mouse could be outputting garbled instructions, or something.

However, yesterday I was using SC (v4.12.0) on a ToshibaL855D laptop and was surprised to see the exact same error. Now I think that by that stage, all the Win10 and MS Office auto-updates had completed, and it was then that I updated SC to v4.13.0. Testing after  that showed to my pleasant surprise that the error seemed to have gone away.

So, though I feel reasonably sure from the foregoing that the SC v4.13.0 update probably fixed it, I can't be certain.
I did think of doing exactly what you suggest - namely, "...install 4.12 on top of 4.13 temporarily and see if the problem is still there. ...", but, as you suggest, it is a new/uncommon issue, and since it's "gone away", I'd be unwilling to invest any more of my time in it unless I had to for some reason. It'd be of academic value at best.

You ask me "you do know that SC has a very easy built-in ability to combine images side-by-side (vertically, horizontally, with various automatic resizing options)?". Yes, I do know that, and I have occasionally used that functionality and its overlaying capability when I have needed it, but for me the issue tends to be "what's the quickest or most efficient way of getting the image manipulation done effectively?", and since a lot of the image capture tends to be via OneNote's Send to OneNote clipping tool, and imprecise clips are fine, then it is easiest to do it all in OneNote, wrapped up amongst the text in some notes, and completed there. The quality of the result is usually pretty impressive.

However, OneNote's image manipulation and drawing tools are mediocre at best, its overlaying is a joke and doesn't work, and so I rarely, if ever use OneNote for those things. Instead, to get the job done quickly, efficiently and effectively I then always use SC. In fact, it was whilst I was coaching my daughter on the use of SC for some work on a school project that I observed the error on her Samsung-S3 laptop. I'd told her how great SC was and how it made light work of the heavy lifting of image manipulation, and there it didn't work!    :-[

I was wanting to get to the bottom of it, and I was using the Toshiba as that was a known quantity. It's a virtual no-brainer to always use SC, because that is usually rock solid and reliable.

Looking ahead, it would be great if I could use SC in place of Send to OneNote, as a more efficient input front end to OneNote and as an efficient input front end to ABBYY Screenshot Reader. It would be even better if SC was also integrated with CHS and/or the MS OCR API - as I think I have separately suggested for CHS. ...    :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:58 PM by IainB »

makusan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #538 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56 AM »
SCUploader is not working!  >:(

It just stopped...I'm unable to fix.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2015, 08:08 AM »
I'm getting the same error, must be an issue with Imageshack as of today.. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Looks like the ImageShack website is currently down. Should be back up soon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:50 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #540 on: October 02, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Imageshack is back online and uploading is working again.

bob116

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #541 on: October 24, 2015, 11:14 PM »
I havent tried the betas yet but is there a way to suppress the notifications in Win10 each time you take a screenshot. The control panel where you are supposedly able to turn notifications on and off doesn't work. You turn it off and the next time you open the program it creates another instance on the list and is back to being on. Probably a bug with Win10 but would love for there to be a way to keep it from happening on your end.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2015, 02:41 AM »
but is there a way to suppress the notifications in Win10 each time you take a screenshot.

of course.  uncheck the option for "Filename Balloon Tip in Tray" on the Post-Capture options tab:
Screenshot - 10_25_2015 , 2_40_04 AM_ver001.png

bob116

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #543 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07 AM »
Ok I feel stupid.. For some reason I thought the new style tip in Win10 was something different. But there is still a bug with the notification management in Windows itself unless your balloon tip option is conflicting with it.

Thanks though!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #544 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48 AM »
No reason to feel stupid! There are so many options it's a wonder anyone can find anything.
And I should probably disable that option by default, I'm not sure it's very useful.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New beta is up, i'd appreciate any feedback:

v4.14.0 BETA - Oct 26, 2015
  • [BugFix] The Resize and Fine Rotate dialogs were not properly showing previews of image.
  • [Feature] Fit Width and Fit Height actions added to View menu.
  • [Feature] If the current screenshot is renamed outside of SC, SC will try to switch to the renamed file.
  • [Improvement] When pixelating, any partial transparency is removed in order to reduce the risk of the original pixels being recovered.
  • [Improvement] JPG quality/compression setting is now of a finer scale and scaled up to a more reasonable (higher quality) range.
  • [Change] Using SaveAs will now use same quality/compression settings as default.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^^ Thanks for this. Now using this Beta v4.14.0 (2015-10-26). Nothing to report so far.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just something I noticed, in the View menu you have two options showing as using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T.  This was also there in v4.13.0.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v4.15.0 BETA - Nov 3, 2015
  • [BugFix] The repeat region capture was not capturing the proper location for some multimonitor cases.
  • [BugFix] The zoom panel in selected-region captures was sometimes failing to respond to cursor movements and could flicker.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just something I noticed, in the View menu you have two options showing as using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T.

thanks, will fix.