topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195791 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
anyone notice any other weirdness with the new version?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
latest version uploaded and made available on updater.. let's see how it handles.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Weirdness I've noticed:

I haven't been able to replicate this since I just updated, but on the beta one time I captured the active window and the image information comments showed the title bar info for the maximized application that was behind the active window at the time.

Using "Capture image of ScreenShot Capture Window" while SSC is maximized actually adds a little padding around the edges of the screen, so I can see my desktop behind it. The really weird thing about it is that because SSC is maximized, it goes off the right side of my desktop so there's white (where there's not desktop image). Here's the image (1280x1024)

ScreenShotCaptor Window thingy.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022

While the Resize Image dialog window is open, pressing alt-tab takes you directly to where you already are. This doesn't happen in the preferences window, so I think it's unique to Resize Image dialog.

When selecting an area for cropping or adding effects or whatever, the selection box excludes excludes the line of pixels on the bottom and right edge of the area you selected. This means bad crops and other effects due to imprecise selection.

A few spelling mistakes in the new Preferences.

That's about all I can think of right now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ive noticed as well that if you do an active-window capture which is maximized you get some padding space.. i'll have to see if i can track down why.

thanks for the other reports, i'll queue them up for fixing.

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All in all it looks good! Here's what I found:

* Prefs/Email SendTo List: FTP is supposed to be all caps. Makes it more readable/recognizable.
 * Prefs/Image File Format: the background transparency Save As option might be better as a checkbox in the Save As dialog itself.

Also, the UI shows the Prefs screencap with a drop shadow, but other than a larger than visible border, the shadow doesn't seem to actually be there. I notice that the Captor window capture from the menus did include the shadow. Weird...
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:39 AM by Cavalcader »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using the 'grab active window' command from the menu show a little of SC's toolbar in the screenshot.
SC_2008-08-10_001.png

and this is my "pre-capture" options
SC_2008-08-10_002.png

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
and this is my "pre-capture" options  (see attachment in previous post)
A problem may be related to the window hiding during capture. That's when I was seeing artifacts from other windows. I wonder if it's a timing thing where, once SC is minimized, the grab is done before the window order is finished changing (as far as which one has focus)?
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser.

I seem to be the only one that sees this, so I presume it is something else on my computer that causes it, but I still cannot use Screenshot Captor to capture scrolling windows.  Whenever I try I get a flashing affect that ultimately causes me to reboot my machine.  The flashing is extreme and takes place withing the SC window, but even if I minimize SC, it has a negative affect on the entire computer operation.

Whenever I get brave enough to try this again - like after an upgrade of SC - the flashing occurs and I cannot shutdown SC; even with End Process in the Task Manager.  I have managed once to open Process Explorer and kill the process, but something obviously keeps going somewhere in the background because the machine's performance is about shot until I reboot. Really weird!

I had a number of problems with the graphics card in this computer - an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX (pretty high-end, actually) - so in the past I just chalked it up to the card.  However several months ago I swapped out that card with a brand new nVidia GeForce 8800GS card - even higher end - and yet I still get all the same issues whenever I try to capture a scrolling window with Screenshot Captor.

So I obviously cannot blame the previous graphics card. Perhaps it is a conflict with nVidia GeForce cards in general, or maybe with Asus SLI-capable motherboards, AMD processors, or some other hardware I have in this box.

Anyway, I purchased the SnagIt 9 upgrade just to use for scrolling window captures, so it is not really hurting me in any way.

Thanks!

Jim

PS:  A quick question about the location of Options or Preferences in various applications.  A personal gripe I have always had with developers is that they can never seem to agree on where to put the Options or Preferences link in their program menus!  I almost always have to search through the menus to find it - even in software I regularly use. Mainly because all seem to like hiding it somewhere different from the next developer.  However your applications seem to suffer from the same problem!!  E.g., Screenshot Captor options are labeled as "Preferences" and are located under the Edit menu.  CH&S, on the other hand,  calls them "Options" and locates them under the View menu.  Dcupdater calls them "Preferences", like SC, but puts them under the View menu like CH&S.  It is maddening at times! I didn't want to go through all my apps to find more examples, but I could - and I'd find even more names and places for program options!!

The most common seems to be Tools>Options.  At least on the apps on my computer.  But some are spread out all over the place.  I know there is no specific guideline for placing such menu items in applications, but what criteria do you use?  Why different in the various applications that you yourself have designed?

Just curious!

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps it is a conflict with nVidia GeForce cards in general

I can help you rule that out. I've got an nVidia GeForce FX 5500 -- definitely not state of the art any more, but maybe that'll help give you a reference point. No problems with flashing or performance hits here; the card's got 256 MB RAM onboard at AGP 8x.

I did also stick with an older version of the driver since they were done updating it for my card; Device Manager says it's version 6.14.10.9371 from 10/22/2006. Related info is XP Pro SP3 (and was fine on earlier Service Packs & driver versions too) and a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with a gig of RAM. (It's a relatively basic system nowadays but it still works decently.)
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, but both nVidia cards have had performance problems here, unfortunately.  :(

I am running a Falcon Norhwest Mach V computer with pretty upscale components - they just don't seem to want to work together! The 7900 GTX would continually cause a graphics driver crash - BSOD and all that.  Though that was fairly common with the 7900.  However the 8800GS is supposedly performing great on most machines. Yet here, even though it is not crashing me now, it scores exceedingly low on all performance tests I have run.

Must be a bad combination of hardware here - even though they are all high-end components. Something are apparently not getting along, but I'll be darned if I can determine which!

Thanks!

Jim

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Must be a bad combination of hardware here - even though they are all high-end components. Something are apparently not getting along, but I'll be darned if I can determine which!

One thing that some people overlook is BIOS settings. If you have a custom-built machine, it might be worth a look if you haven't been in there for awhile. I dunno about PCI Express, but my ABIT VT7 2.0 motherboard has a bunch of little tweaks for memory access speed, CPU management and AGP. If it's hardware related, it could be something as simple as backing off one of the performance settings.

Drivers are a major pain to troubleshoot, but you could play with the Windows (XP, anyway) Driver Verifier. %windir%\system32\verifier.exe
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks - Maybe I'll give it another try, though it doesn't quite work as well on graphics drivers for whatever reason.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.43.01 - Oct 5, 2008
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2008, 08:11 PM »
I've posted a beta of new version 2.43.01 because i want to make sure i didn't break anything in latest version before making it official.
You can find changelist in first post on the thread.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2008, 08:31 PM »
thanks for the update, mouser. :Thmbsup:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 01:28 AM »
mouser,

I am not certai if that is on my notebook computer or not, but I did notice earlier tonight that - after a couple months of SC opening in a normal sized window in Vista - it started opening in a tiny ~200 x 200 px window again.

I'll check the version tomorrow.

Thanks!

Jim

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Installed 2.43.01 on Vista SP1 and has worked fine so far.

Thanks for not changing tray icon and for coding optional MyJunk folder.

Found SC on FileForum and gave thumb's up rating.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

pjb11

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.44.01 - Nov 3, 2008
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 07:12 AM »
The download link on the main page is currently incorrect.
It goes to: https://www.donation...nshotCaptorSetup.exe
But that does not work.

I then modified the url to: https://www.donation...nshotCaptorSetup.exe (IE Without the beta and it works, and does download 2.44.01 correctly)

Hope this helps anyone else currently trying to download it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36 AM »
thanks pjb i will fix!

pjb11

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Thanks Mouser. BTW: Nice application.  :up:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Updated on my XP machine and seems to be doing fine. I think I also got it on my Vista notebook last night but had to shutdown shortly thereafter. I'll try to give it a look on there tonight.

Thanks mouser. BTW, after purchasing the upgrade to SnagIt 9 - I wasn’t even using SnagIt 8 anymore but they made the upgrade so damned cheap!. It's in my "software junk drawer" already. Doesn’t even come close to screenshot Captor IMO. And v. 9 is much less friendly than even their previous version. Horrible workflow - to perform basic captures and then save them as standard image files takes me several more clicks and if I am not very careful I lose them altogether. Camtasia is getting better, but SnagIt - with apparently a new development team - is moving backwards!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Odd event on my Vista notebook w/this version: About 15 minutes after starting the notebook I tried to capture a pop-up with an error message for another program with Screenshot Captor. Nothing happened for quite a while - maybe 30 to 45 seconds - and then I got the default capture sound. But the SC popup didn't appear for about another 10 seconds. When it did I clicked on the "Keep Capture and Open Window" button. The image was not captured. I hadn't yet OK's out of the error message so I tried again and it worked that time.

That's a first for me with SC - never missed a capture like that before.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.47.01 - Feb 15, 2009
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14 PM »
2.47.01 beta is up.
It's mainly improvements to the region capture modes.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2009, 11:49 PM »
2.47.01 beta is up.
It's mainly improvements to the region capture modes.

Great! I need a new one - Screenshot Captor has been acting a little weird lately. Nothing changed in SSC so I am guessing that it was a conflict with other software or drivers...  Or maybe a full moon? In certain situations where an application freezes or maybe locks up its window on my display, I always try to grab a screenshot so I can refer to it later or send it to the developer. Lately when I try to do this using Screenshot Captor, SSC makes the camera-click sound and its icon's screen turns red but that's it; it just stays like that - using CPU all the while - but it won't or can't complete the capture. 

I hate it when that happens! I think it must be when another application screws up and borks the display itself. Maybe that doesn't allow SSC to complete its "mission".

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2009, 11:53 PM »
definitely try the new version -- one reason this could theoretically happen is if sc was trying to show you a dialog to confirm saving changes to the current image but was minimized; this version will recognize the situation and pop itself up.  let me know what you find and try to make a note of what kind of capture you were doing when it happened, etc.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2009, 12:12 AM »
definitely try the new version -- one reason this could theoretically happen is if sc was trying to show you a dialog to confirm saving changes to the current image but was minimized; this version will recognize the situation and pop itself up.  let me know what you find and try to make a note of what kind of capture you were doing when it happened, etc.

Thanks mouser. First oddity I noticed after installing 2.47.01 is that there is a LOT of empty space in the left column where the capture thumbnails are shown. When open SSC is usually focused on the last screenshot captured, and that is at the very bottom of the right-hand thumbnail gallery. (Hope I am describing that well enough!) Now though that gallery is scrolled to the bottom and I have to scroll up quite a ways before I see any thumbnails. Just an "Oops"? Or is there a method to your madness?  ;D

Darn - I was going to show a pic of this, but "Reply" automatically threw me into the "Quick Reply" dialog. No attachment thingy and no option to "Go advanced". I must've screwed up...  :o

Thanks!

Jim

First Edit:  Ha! I knew the Edit dialog would have it! Pic should be right below:  (Had to use Snagit to capture it!!   ;D ;D ;D  )

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Second Edit:  OK, more weirdness - all looks fine now. I don't know how or why - hell, I don't even know when - but that gigantic empty space is now gone. I had the main SSC window open but hidden behind my browser window. It was hanging out there for maybe an hour before I noticed I had left it there. When I brought it forward and looked at it - that space was gone. Really, gone. I'm looking around for it now... maybe it's under my desk? All kidding aside, though, the empty space in the sidebar was there when my browser covered it and now it is not there.

How did you manage to solve that when I wasn’t looking, dude?!?!

Jim
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:38 AM by J-Mac »