topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195909 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The only thing lacking, imo, is the help file that comes with SC.
I'd like to suggest that the help file be broken down like the preferences.
-The Basics
-Basic Capturing
-Advanced Tweaking
-Tools
I know a user can always come here for help.
Sometimes a help file is more useful.
And with all the beta work done recently, the answers or workings of SC are fresh in the mind.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Some very good suggestions about the help file, cmpm.  I will try to put a revamp of it on my todo list.
I've also made a ton of screencasts but it would be great if someone could make a nice gentle tutorial one.

Lyoma wrote:
Can I group selected items (several objects) into one object in screenshot capture?
I'm afraid not.  What I always suggest to people who need to do SERIOUS object editing on their screenshots is to use a professional image editor and configure it within Screenshot Captor so it's easier to launch on files.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've also made a ton of screencasts

You certainly did!
It's been a while since I went to that page.
Lots of help.

https://www.donation....com/screencasts/sc/

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I apologize in advance if I missed it, but how do you use the new feature in v4.5 to save to clipboard without saving file using one key? I tried setting the Interface Options > After Capture to Pop-Up Choice Dialog, and Post Capture Options > Copy To Clipboard to Image Bitmap (strange wording since I have my Default Image File Format set to PNG, perhaps this should just say "Image" to reduce confusion).

When the Pop-Up dialog appears, I select the "To Clipboard", then "To Clipboard:Image", then the red close button. That seems to do the trick to copy the image to the clipboad without saving the file. But it takes three clicks to accomplish. I had expected a one-click or one shortcut keystroke action that would copy to clipboard and dismiss the dialog box all in one action. Is this possible, and I'm just missing something? Or does it really take three clicks?

Thanks for your help.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think these are the settings you want, let me know:
Screenshot - 7_16_2013 , 9_54_15 AM -.png

Now when the post-capture dialog comes up, just hit C to copy to clipboard (or escape to cancel), and there's nothing more to do.

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep, that get's closer to what I was expecting. I didn't see or explore these options previously. I was focusing on the settings in the Post Capture Options section, and didn't think to look in the Quick Bar and Post Cap section. Maybe the Quick Bar through me off.

With the settings you've outlined above, I can now click once with the mouse on Copy to Clipboard to dismiss the dialog box and copy the image to the clipboard. This also creates a saved file of the image. Is there a way to do the same without saving a file, just copy to clipboard?

Pressing Alt+C will also copy to the clipboard and dismiss the dialog, same as left clicking the button. Wouldn't Ctrl+C be better? Or, did you stick with the Alt key as a modifier to maintain standard dialog behavior?

Also, I noticed that using the quick Copy to Clipboard option, the drop shadow Post Capture Effect is not captured in the image. This is listed as an Improvement in v4.5. It does not seem to be working for me in v4.5.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pressing Alt+C will also copy to the clipboard and dismiss the dialog, same as left clicking the button. Wouldn't Ctrl+C be better? Or, did you stick with the Alt key as a modifier to maintain standard dialog behavior?

no need for any modifier, just hit C.

I noticed that using the quick Copy to Clipboard option, the drop shadow Post Capture Effect is not captured in the image.

hmm, let me have another look.

This also creates a saved file of the image. Is there a way to do the same without saving a file, just copy to clipboard?

there is an option at the very bottom of the "More Interface Options" tab labeled "Don't Auto Save Captures"

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for bringing the "Don't Auto Save Captures" option to my attention. I think I had used it in a prior version, but had forgotten about it. It is working for me to be able to quickly take a capture without creating a file.

I seem to have run into another issue, I'm sure you help me resolve. Could just be another setting I'm missing. I have the "Don't Auto Save" and "After Capture>Show Main Form" options set. If I capture a Selected Region and don't make any changes to the image, hit Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard, then click the red X to dismiss the SC dialog, then no file is created (as expected).

But if I make any change to the image in the SC form, e.g. highlighting boxes, hit Ctrl+C, then dismiss the SC dialog, a new file is created (not expected). I want to  be able to make a couple quick changes to the image, then copy to the clipboard and close without creating a new file. Sometimes I would want a file, but not always.

I have the "On Unsaved Changes>Ask User What to Do" radio button selected. I expected there to be a popup message when I clicked the red X asking me if I want to save the changes. I'm not getting any message when I click the red X. Is there another setting I'm missing?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.5 - July 8, 2013
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Hmm.. I'll have to look into this.. In general, SC is not really designed to not save changes and still do things like copy the image to the clipboard, so you are really pushing the envelope by wanting to make changes, copy to clipboard, while never saving.

I try to encourage people to give in to the workflow of letting SC save images, and just delete them later.  You can easily delete all images in the Screenshot directory from the file menu.  Saving the files for a short period gives you a safety net.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.7 - Sep 12, 2013
« Reply #434 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39 PM »
New official version uploaded with lots of new features and fixes; thanks to all the beta testers!

v4.7.0 - September 12, 2013
  • [Feature] Added new shape option for arrows (circle endpoints).
  • [Feature] New quick-search-bar for easy filtering of screenshots listed in thumbnail panel (see view menu).
  • [Feature] Added File menu item to close current file and have nothing loaded.
  • [Feature] You can now sort standard thumbnail sidebar with newest at top if you like.
  • [Feature] New option (enabled by default) to auto-select next file after deletions.
  • [Feature] New option (Print tab) to invert colors of printouts (maybe useful if printing mostly black images on laser printer).
  • [Feature] New help panel when in object editing mode (you can disable this new behavior from the Object Drawing options tab).
  • [Feature] The Caption toolbar button will now help you EDIT an existing caption, replacing and resizing the existing caption text object.
  • [Feature] New item in Object menu to remove an existing caption.
  • [Improvement] If user accidentally loads a second instance, the error message and behavior is clearer.
  • [Improvement] SC now remembers sorting column+direction in list/detail thumbnail sidebar modes.
  • [Improvement] Improved sizing of columns in different detail view modes; new simple left hand list mode.
  • [Improvement] When set to stay minimized after capture, if SC was onscreen when capture initiated, it would jump to front and not always relinquish foreground window after completion.  Note that the SC window does return to the screen and not minimize if it was on screen when capture initiated.
  • [Improvement] Better support for dragging and dropping images from other programs (especially web browser) onto main window.
  • [Improvement] Starting your word in the new screenshot filter edit box with ~ will show files that do NOT match what it typed next.
  • [Improvement] Caption dialog form now has a multiline memo for the caption text.
  • [Change] Iff multiple images are selected, the toolbar delete button will now delete all instead of just the current image.
  • [Change/Bugfix] Line/Arrow labels with "no-border" mode set could sometimes show a border; now the no-border option shows no border and draws label text directly over existing background.
  • [BugFix] Print preview settings (margins, orientation, etc.) triggered from post-capture dialog were not being synchronized with main print preview settings.
  • [BugFix] If you brought up Print setup dialog, and from their print properties dialog, it could be hidden behind main window.
  • [BugFix] Fixed case where the last file might not be loaded (or scrolled down to) at start of program.
  • [BugFix] The fix to keep printer setup dialog on top was messing with other forms appearing behind main window.
  • [BugFix] When SC was on screen at time of initiating capture, sometimes the current foreground window was not preserved as focused window (and did not show up in capture as an active window).
  • [BugFix] If a modal message was showing, it was possible to toggle main form visible or initiate a capture, hiding the modal message.
  • [BugFix] Redbox (scrolling and object capture modes) were not obeying the stay-minimized-after-capture options.
  • [BugFix] Choosing an object (like arrow) to draw, and changing properties BEFORE drawing, was not obeying new settings.
  • [BugFix] Fixed an error that could occur when using network paths for home/screenshot/config directories.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #435 on: September 12, 2013, 12:53 AM »
awesome release! i see that we're edging to closer V5!  :Thmbsup:

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #436 on: September 12, 2013, 01:50 AM »
Excellent. Been using the 4.6 beta versions for a while and been all good  :Thmbsup:

Feature requests

1) Can we have rounded box as option in 'Draw highlighting' i.e. as below. There is the text border for Arrows has the option for 'RoundBox' so I hope it wouldn't be hard to implement.
Screenshot-120913-161453.png

2) Would really really really really like it if we could have toolbar buttons for 'Splice out by strip by selection' and  'Splice out by strip by selection - Deluxe effects'. "Pretty please with hundreds and thousands on top  :-\  :-*".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:53 AM by hubi, Reason: Fix up using image »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #437 on: September 12, 2013, 01:58 AM »
1) Can we have rounded box as option in 'Draw highlighting' i.e. as below. There is the text border for Arrows has the option for 'RoundBox' so I hope it wouldn't be hard to implement.

i'll see what i can do.

2) Would really really really really like it if we could have toolbar buttons for 'Splice out by strip by selection' and  'Splice out by strip by selection - Deluxe effects

Now that the "More Interface Options" has the ability to hide and show different toolbars, adding new tools (hidden by default) is painless, so i will do so.  Good idea.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.7.2 - Sep 13, 2013
« Reply #438 on: September 13, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Updated to 4.7.2 to fix a bug in some advanced previewing features.

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #439 on: September 13, 2013, 10:01 AM »
where do I download 4.7.2, this link https://www.donation...nshotCaptorSetup.exe gives me 4.7.0

thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:15 AM by RightPaddock »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #441 on: September 13, 2013, 10:10 AM »
You have the right link.

If you're still getting v4.7.0 from that link, it's just because the file is cached in your web browser or by your internet provider since the update file is so recent.  If you try again in a bit you should get the new version.

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #442 on: September 13, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Not my cache - i don't use the browser to download I use IDM, it would warn me if I had recently downloaded the file, I would be very surprised if my ISP caches anything. 

Just before I posted, I downloaded and installed a version whose with an the following properties

Size           8,520,632 bytes
CRC32 273d5e5f
MD5         13ead219307e7133c52d762d7043f437
SHA-1 34fc8be68efc004ba2d3ec260341c6f60e604af8
File Version  0.0.0.0
This installed version 4.7.0, which is what I had.

I just downloaded again and got a version with

size           8,520,392
CRC32 6bf43e8e
MD5         adbf6ce2588978edf9c6f5258e972290
SHA-1 dd862f5e7e3affb3a0690181472f5cb579f15db9
File Version 0.0.0.0

This installs version 4.7.2

Can I suggest you put the version number within the install exe file and/or within the file name, and in the label of the link I posted - it has "4.7", would be better if it had "4.7.2".

I suspect I got the notification before or as your download site updated itself

Anyway all OK now.

rgds

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #443 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Mmm, checksums :)

ChaosDM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #444 on: September 18, 2013, 02:37 AM »
Ok, I guess it's because I'm getting old...BUT...I just can't manage to get the Auto Capture to work in the latest (4.7.2) version. Ok, this is the first time I use this program and it LOOKS awesome...but I just need to perform a simple task, I know it's possible, but I just can't figure out how!!! Call me dumb, I don't care, I just would like to know how to do it      :)         Thanks in advance for the help.

So...I want to capture what's on my screen (the whole screen) every 4 secs. and save all these files to a directory with a different name...So, when I press PrtScrn I get a picture in my destination folder with a name including the date, perfect...I go to the Screenshot Captor options from the Quick Capture Bar. In there I go to Basic Capturing-Capture Options. In "Auto Capture Timer Options" I have "Rate Ms" set to 4000 and "Stop After" set to "10" and as "Type" I have "Screen (current monitor)" set. So I guess all that is fine.

Question is now : how do I START the automatic capturing? When I click "Grab Current Screen" in my Quick Capture Bar I only grab on picture and that's it...there are no additional screenshots being taken.

When going to the Help file of the program I find in Capturing Images-Extra Capture Options the option to "Engage Auto Capture Timer"....I DON'T FIND THIS OPTION IN THIS VERSION OF THE PROGRAM...the help file is (apparently) for an older version of the program    :(

So please...could someone tell me how tp START the Auto Capturing? THANK'S A MILLION       :)

Dimitri Kokken
Belgium

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #445 on: September 18, 2013, 03:32 AM »
Hi Dimitri, and greetings to Belgium!

You're not getting old, it's just that the new "Quick Capture Bar" is a new thing and I think I forgot to include a way to start the timer from it.

I will be adding it to the next release.

Until then, you engage the auto timer from the system tray menu, Right-click -> Capture Options -> Engage Auto-timer.

Let me know if that works for you and if you have any other issues with it, and thanks for your patience.

ChaosDM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #446 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43 AM »
Phew...I thought I was going insane...thank you for the info BUT...it doesn't work          :(

When I switch on the "Engage auto timer" and then for instance press the PrtScrn key only one screenshot gets taken.

I have been looking for a (very) old version of your program, but can't find one.

Thanks again.

Dimitri

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #447 on: September 18, 2013, 04:18 AM »
"Engage auto timer" via the tray works here - it starts automatically though (after 4000ms) - no keypress is required. Is it possible that pressing the PrtScr key deactivates it ?

(win 7 64bit)

edit//
makes for some interesting screenshots ;)

Screenshot - 2013-09-18 , 11_06_40.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022
Tom
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:32 AM by tomos »

selt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2013, 03:16 AM »
guys, before there was a really good feature but it got lost in later releases and that is to automatically, by default, copy last screenshot bitmap to clipboard after it is taken (so without need to go to menu and select copy to clipboard and then choose that option).
How can i set that back to be by default?

Thanks,
Selt

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2013, 03:42 AM »
hi Selt
in preferences: post capture options:

Screenshot - 2013-09-26 , 10_40_29.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022

Tom