ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What to do with an SSD after it fails

<< < (4/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Seems to me it depends on why the drive failed. If it is a controller issue the only real option would be to find an identical controller and do surgery to get the drive working. If you can't find a suitable controller then the only options are storage (why?) or destruction.

ewemoa:
This still is a mostly unanswered question though; for sake of discussion, if the drive did have some crazy important data on it, would it just have to be destroyed in this situation? Is that really a real-world "solution"? What would a company's IT department do if they had amassed a group of failed SSDs with company data still on them?
-wreckedcarzz (April 24, 2013, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've wondered over the years about "services" that offer to destroy such things...why would one trust them, and even if one did, would they not be a major target?

Stoic Joker:
Granted I could be nutz... But I don't think the controller swap trick works on a failed SSD. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the which sections are weak/failed logic was part of the storage chip itself. So the controller could still be fine while the actual data chip has written itself off (so to speak). *Shrug* ...This could be a f0dder question.

Anytime a client's drive has failed to an extent that it cannot be electronically burned, the only option is physical destruction of the drive.

f0dder:
I've got no idea whether a "controller swap would work" - it depends on where the drive's mapping tables are stored, and a lot of SSDs these days (at least claim to) have AES encryption - where's the encryption key stored? And finally, on top of that, I've got a feeling that the prints aren't built in a modular way that makes any kind of swapping possible unless you've got lab-grade equipment.

Just a few minutes, let me open up my failed Intel X25-E and grab a couple of snaps for y'all.

EDIT: here - does that look like something you can fix yourself?

What to do with an SSD after it failsWhat to do with an SSD after it fails

Stoic Joker:
Zoiks! Thanks f0dder.

On a brighter note, that should be short work for a medium sized hammer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version