ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What to do with an SSD after it fails

<< < (2/6) > >>

mouser:
Nice find, mwb  :up:

wreckedcarzz:
Beat the crap out of it with a hammer (also good therapy)  :Thmbsup:
-Carol Haynes (April 22, 2013, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Might just do that and upload it for everyone's enjoyment :P

A quick Googlin' seems to indicate that the drive may have a 3 year warranty.  If you haven't smashed it yet and the data isn't so sensitive that you feel OK handing the dead drive over to the manufacturer (only you can determine if that would be an acceptable risk or not), you might be able to get a working one in exchange.

As a potentially interesting aside - Lenovo apparently allows you to purchase a warranty add-on that lets you keep a failed drive in the case of a warranty replacement (I have no idea how much additional they charge):

- http://www.lenovo.com/services_warranty/us/en/keep-your-drive.html
-mwb1100 (April 22, 2013, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd send it in for warranty replacement, but the RMA process requires a date of purchase, and I don't have it- the receipt has been eaten by the magical force that takes everything else in a typical family house, and I changed banks in the time I owned the drive, so I no longer have purchase records for my old debit cards. =\

That's a cool Lenovo warranty option, though. Not having to worry about a rogue employee digging through drives after repairing them before sending them back.

Stoic Joker:
I've never had or used a receipt for an RMA in my life. Usually just run the serial number and let their (Seagate/WD/Maxtor) records validate the warranty.

But then again I've also no intention of buying an SSD until these rather common horror stories have disappeared into ancient folklore.

More precisely on topic...I'll also vote ball-peen hamer...or shotgun ... Dealers choice.

wreckedcarzz:
I've never had or used a receipt for an RMA in my life. Usually just run the serial number and let their (Seagate/WD/Maxtor) records validate the warranty.

But then again I've also no intention of buying an SSD until these rather common horror stories have disappeared into ancient folklore.

More precisely on topic...I'll also vote ball-peen hamer...or shotgun ... Dealers choice.
-Stoic Joker (April 22, 2013, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

RMAs usually require receipts in my experiences, it's very rare to have a company not require one.

I bought the SSD at a steep sale price (for the time) and didn't expect it to live very long; it was a sort of first generation, let's-see-how-this-goes product, but I was aching to have one and had the money to burn. I still have confidence in the tech (obviously), and for the most part it seems like the launch generation product issues have been sorted out. The new Samsung came with a 3 yr warranty, and I'm keeping the box and receipt just in case it doesn't live up to that, but I expect it to.

Also, strangely enough, this was my first personal drive failure ever. I've helped lots of friends and other people with HDD failures, but I had yet to have one die in one of my computers. It was really relieving to be able to just go out and get the replacement, come home, pop in the Win7 DVD and click "Repair my computer" and "Restore from a system image" and have my machine back up within 5 minutes. Backup backup backup!!!

Carol Haynes:
Did you buy it online? You might be able to find the invoice/receipt there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version