topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nice older article on failure of del.ico.us competitor  (Read 3042 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
very nice article from december 2005.  Linked to from recent article on youtube vs. google video (http://avc.blogs.com...how_youtube_kic.html).

scary because: these people talk about spending 13 million on marketing as no big deal, and talk about how small differences can result in failure or success.

side rant: this is part of what troubles me about this world - you need millions of marketing just to compete; without that no one will know about you and you will get buried by the competition ?

Now a little part of me is cringing as I write this. Having founded a bookmarking company in 1999 with pretty much the exact same vision as the new crop of services, I’ve got to feel, well, a little stupid. (or angry, or depressed, or whatever). Maybe writing about it will make me feel better and maybe even help me make a point or two about product development.
When we founded Blink.com (no link love, it’s a crappy search site now) the founders and I imagined a self-reinforcing product cycle: