ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
That can also happen with a Samba share if you have the offline files option enabled in the W7 Sync Center control panel. Try disabling offline files and you should be ok. Unless, of course, you use that feature. :)

Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.

Stoic Joker:
That can also happen with a Samba share if you have the offline files option enabled in the W7 Sync Center control panel. Try disabling offline files and you should be ok. Unless, of course, you use that feature. :)-40hz (April 23, 2013, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Might be good to mention that you loose indexing/the ability to search said files from the start menu that way. It also becomes next to impossible to add the target to a library (due to the can't index bit).

Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.-40hz (April 23, 2013, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

That strikes me as quite odd, considering a single GP mapped drive letter to a domain DFS root makes a myriad of problems vanish instantly. Why would anyone want to go back to the administrative overhead of tending multiple (saved UNC) shortcuts...it strikes me as the worst of both worlds.

40hz:
Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.-40hz (April 23, 2013, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

That strikes me as quite odd, considering a single GP mapped drive letter to a domain DFS root makes a myriad of problems vanish instantly. Why would anyone want to go back to the administrative overhead of tending multiple (saved UNC) shortcuts...it strikes me as the worst of both worlds.
-Stoic Joker (April 23, 2013, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

The time I called MSoft's tech support with a similar issue I was told mapped drives were considered "legacy" and were kept mostly for compatibility reasons. UNC and FQDNs were where it was going. So I assumed that was MSoft's official position rather than just the tech's opinion - but maybe it was? Have you heard otherwise?

Losdollos:
I tried using 'net use' but it didn't work for me. But if it works for you, perhaps I did make a mistake somewhere-Losdollos (April 22, 2013, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use the command like this:

net use s: \\server\c mypassword /USER:jody /PERSISTENT:NO

I always use the "/PERSISTENT:NO" option and then I either put a shortcut to the batch file in my startup folder or simply run the batch file manually after booting.  If you need me to break down the command part by part, just ask.
-skwire (April 22, 2013, 07:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reporting back  :D

It doesn't work  :(

The *exact* example I took from you, but all I get is:

--- --- System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found
Googling on that gives the same type of 1001 things to try that might - and might not work.

However:

--- --- net view \\Diskstation :(
Immediately does list all the directories (which reside inside \volume1, somehow Synology just simply shows the content of \volume1 automatically (which is good), instead of the content of \).

Why does it always have to be so difficult

skwire:
Try using the IP of your NAS instead of the name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version