ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!

<< < (6/15) > >>

superboyac:
-superboyac (April 22, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is one cup of good, black coffee in the morning all that harmful?
-40hz (April 22, 2013, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Supposedly, that's almost ideal from what I've heard. :Thmbsup:

"The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce."   ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.,
[/quote]
My new favorite coffee quote.

Edvard:
^Hehe, now mine as well. 

^I was curious how coffee is decaffeinated. I find I often dont react well to the dacafs I've tried but that could be more to do with me than the coffee.
Came across this site talking about the various processes - methods are interesting, worth a read:
How is coffee decaffeinated?

(FWIW apparently they're aiming to produce a GMO decaf coffee.)
-tomos (April 22, 2013, 08:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, there are quite a lot of ways to decaffeinate coffee, all with the aim of extracting the caffeine but not the flavor.

... and the naturally decaffeinated coffee I heard of is not GMO, but a naturally occurring species know as Coffea Charrierianaw.  Can't wait to try some.

barney:
Some while back - late 2012, methinks, but not certain - there was a blurb about [medical] research redefining the benefits of coffee/caffeine.  Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.  Been trying to find it ever since  :(.  The actual paper - at least the part that was published - described the benefits, but, of course, I read it, thought, "Hey that's good," and promptly ditched it.

[Edit]
No, I didn't ditch it.  A study finds that older adults who drink java are less likely to die than those who don't. Subjects who averaged four or five cups per day fared best, though it's not clear why.  source
--- End quote ---
However, at the time, I found other resources for validation that I cannot remember now.  Obviously, I'm not drinking enough coffee  :P.

app103:
Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.  Been trying to find it ever since  :(.  The actual paper - at least the part that was published - described the benefits, but, of course, I read it, thought, "Hey that's good," and promptly ditched it.
-barney (April 22, 2013, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same thing, but what I read was related to the relationship between the rate of the loss of cognitive function in diabetics and the amount of caffeine they consumed. (more caffeine = slower rate of loss) I thought "Hey that's good!", promptly ditched it, AND stopped complaining about my husband drinking my tea (unless he becomes excessive or drinks one of my special teas without permission)

And with scientists wanting to call Alzheimer's Type 3 Diabetes, I am thinking it might be a good idea to watch your carbs and drink more coffee/tea (without sugar).  :D

kyrathaba:
Some while back - late 2012, methinks, but not certain - there was a blurb about [medical] research redefining the benefits of coffee/caffeine.  Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.
--- End quote ---

I also listened to an interview on National Public Radio several months ago in which a medical study had come out stating that moderate consumption of caffeinated coffee was actually shown to be positively correlated with decreased occurrence of prostate cancer in men.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version