topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Multiple / Selective File Associations  (Read 8003 times)

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Multiple / Selective File Associations
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:01 PM »
So, sometimes I peruse a file using Internet Explorer (to respond to Microsoft sites), and the other half of the time with my default browser, Firefox. On my system left-clicking an .htm file will launch it with my default browser, and a right-click brings up a process that requires multiple clicks and selections in order to select which program will be used.

And in my email client ('wrapper') its even worse. Right-clicking a link brings up a different process, where I have to choose between default browser or Copy this link, which I then have to cut-and-paste into the browser I select separately....

This is an example, but the one I use on a daily basis. Ideally, the program I'm looking for would allow me to apply this type of 'selective file association' to any file extension, e.g., I could use it to work with .ini files or .txt (where I sometimes select notepad and DocPad at other times).

What I'm looking for is a one-click solution. Click, interface opens, click, I select which browser opens. Thats all. No lists to go through, no selecting from Explorer folders, no drilling down 4 levels, just a single click to select which browser will open that file to that specific location on that specific page.

Questions willingly answered, all thoughts and efforts gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance,
BearPup7
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:33 PM by BearPup7 »

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Multiple / Selective File Associations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Might take a look at Portable Extension Warlock made by me to see if it can do what you want currently. :)

You can use the dropzone with it and just drag a file to it to send it to the portable extension warlock launcher which checks the info with your launch configuration and if it is only extension it launches it in it or if their is multiple extensions specified you can choose which to launch it with.

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:56 PM »
@hamradio: thank you for responding. I actually am aware of your program, courtesy of dotTech. And while it might work for files, I didn't see how to make it work for links. And its links, especially in my email program, that cause the most problems. There I want to add to the existing right-click function the names of my 2 browsers, such that I can choose to open the linked file in either browser. Am I missing something?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:18 PM »
BrowserTraySwitch may be a help.
Change default Internet Browser on demand from the tray.

https://www.donation...owsertray/index.html

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:38 PM »
@cmpm: Thank you. I'm going to try this one out. If it works, it'll at least save me the biggest hassle which is with the browser issue.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:53 PM »
@hamradio: thank you for responding. I actually am aware of your program, courtesy of dotTech. And while it might work for files, I didn't see how to make it work for links. And its links, especially in my email program, that cause the most problems. There I want to add to the existing right-click function the names of my 2 browsers, such that I can choose to open the linked file in either browser. Am I missing something?

No problem and that may be a feature I try to add at some point where you can use it with normal links as well.  :)

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 05:23 PM »
@cmpm: Well I tried it out, with no success! It installed fine, and found my default browser OK, but I couldn't get it to find IE to change the browser to. Even trying to uncheck Firefox didn't work. I guess that I'm stuck with choosing one browser or the other as my default and leaving it at that, and manually switching it as I have been doing. Sigh.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 06:12 PM »
If you set IE (or most any browser) to default it will add IE into the list.
Then you can switch browsers from the tray.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Be sure to save the config file for each browser.
It may take a couple of times to test it.
After setting a browser to default close and restart BrowserTraySwitch to pick up the new default browser. Then you can switch them from the tray.

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:53 PM »
@cmpm: That got it. I needed to make IE my default in order for it to register with the program. My quicklaunch icons now have an extra one which shows which browser is set as default, and lets me change it with a simple click. Not quite as efficient as having it be part of the right-click response to clicking on the link itself, but a lot more convenient than any other method I've used.

Thank you. I appreciate the posting and the program. I'm posting the info on dotTech.org for others to use. Here:  http://dottech.org/forums/advice-corner/multiple-file-associations/#p17567 . Post #9.

Not so subtle hint:  you could use this program as a template for other extensions as well, e.g., .ini, .txt, .log. Maybe even a variable program where the user inputs the extension they'd like to have default programs changeable, i.e., I might input .txt, and all extensions which use the same application for its default as .txt does would automatically be selected. For example, I'd input .txt and all extensions that use Notepad as a default would be selected for inclusion (.ini, .log, etc.). Something to think about.

But for now, and again, my thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:25 PM by BearPup7 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I didn't see how to make it work for links.

You might consider these apps as well:

Browser Chooser: https://browserchooser.codeplex.com/
MT Browser Switcher: http://mito-team.com.../mt-browser-switcher

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:56 PM »
@skwire: Thank you for responding. I have downloaded these two and will test them out to see if they'll give me better results than Browser Tray Switch does. But regardless, I appreciate your contribution. I've gone from zero programs to 3 to help me solve this most annoying problem.

Again, my thanks.

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Problem (mostly) solved. I've settled on Browser Tray Switcher, which does pretty much what I want:  allowing me to change which browser is my default at the simple click of the icon.

I have it configured to show the icon and notifications visible on the Taskbar, so when IE is the default, the IE icon shows, and when Firefox is the default, the Firefox icon shows instead. So when I know that a given link will need to be opened in IE, I click the Firefox icon, select IE as the default browser, the icon changes and when I click on the file link, the program opens in IE. When I'm done, I simply switch it back to the Firefox default, the icon changes back and Firefox is back to being my default browser.

Its more efficient than anything else I've been doing. It doesn't do anything for other file types, but it could perhaps serve as a model / template for other extensions (not so subtle hint).

My thanks to all who responded and offered program possibilities.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:36 AM »
Bearpup, for files, another option would be XYplorer (file manager).
See "Portable File Associations" on this page
http://www.xyplorer....ex.php?page=portable

You can set up associations with each filetype and open a menu-list for selected file (I havent used it in a while but I think you can set it up so as a shortcut will open the menu for the selected file).
Tom