ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problems after you install Microsoft's security update 2823324

<< < (9/10) > >>

x16wda:
some false positives are far better than an overlooked virus...
-Giampy (April 25, 2013, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Tell that to a couple of my customers after AVG decided that the lower filter for the Xen disk subsystem was a virus.  No problem there until their boxes were rebooted, which resulted in a nice 7B bsod.  (Fortunately for the second customer I remembered tracking down the issue for the first...)

J-Mac:
I think you have to take a more measured approach.  What I usually do is disable *automatic* updates.  Then, a week (or more) after update Tuesday and all of the furor has died down, I download and install the updates manually.  I just don't want to trust anyone to automatically do anything to my computer.  Because if it borks up, are they going to take responsibility for it?

I'll evaluate and decide whether to take the risks, and take the responsibility for my choices.  I've been bitten once about 15 years ago... and to a large extent, that was my fault, as I was hosting my own web site when code red came out and wasn't keeping up to date.  It hurt, but at least it was my fault.

In this case, it hurts... but it's nothing that I did.  And that's a hard pill to swallow, especially since it seems I'm now looking at several hours to restore his computer.  Thankfully, nothing is lost, but it's still a pain, and a drain.
-wraith808 (April 13, 2013, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just about what I do. I have the updates set to notify me but don’t download or install automatically. I always take a good look at them when notified, but then I wait a week or more until I can get some decent feedback on any problems encountered. I usually search on the updates but I also look at Woody Leonard's DefCon column, Infoworld's Tech Watch pages, and ComputerWorld's update pages. They usually give a good read on the updates each month plus for the unscheduled updates. There are some I'll probably never install, though most eventually make it onto my machine.

Jim

Giampy:
--- End quote ---
Tell that to a couple of my customers after AVG decided that the lower filter for the Xen disk subsystem was a virus.  No problem there until their boxes were rebooted, which resulted in a nice 7B bsod.  (Fortunately for the second customer I remembered tracking down the issue for the first...)
-x16wda (April 25, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

When an antivirus reports a virus, any user should always verify if that is true or not (false positive) before deleting any files.
This should be taught to new users.

J-Mac:
--- End quote ---
-x16wda (April 25, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

When an antivirus reports a virus, any user should always verify if that is true or not (false positive) before deleting any files.
This should be taught to new users.
-Giampy (April 26, 2013, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a presumptive statement. Most AV's default to automatically "cleaning" high risk files... which means deleting them. "New users" wouldn’t yet know to configure it any differently.

Jim

wraith808:
That's a presumptive statement. Most AV's default to automatically "cleaning" high risk files... which means deleting them. "New users" wouldn’t yet know to configure it any differently.
-J-Mac (April 26, 2013, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version