topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a better favorites manager?  (Read 11122 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a better favorites manager?
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:30 AM »
i'm on the verge of buying  'Linkman' http://www.outertech...age=product&id=5 but would like to hear any suggestions for either something that is simply better (doesn't matter about the cost) or a freeware equivalent that is similarly powerful.

probably the most important thing i would need such an app to do is to be able to add comments so i know what the link refers to before clicking on it.

any thoughts?  :huh:

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: a better favorites manager?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Bookmark Buddy --> http://www.urlorg.com/
I've been happy with that for years now & it keeps evolving, slowly.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:48 AM »
bookmark buddy is $30, yikes(!).

i'd love a (free) bookmark manager helper that didn't require me to import and export bookmarks from and to browser, but just did it automatically..

tenseiken

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Boredom Solutions
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:06 PM »
I just use the one built into firefox.  There's a plugin that allows you to export all of firefox's bookmarks to IE automagically.  Both are free, of course.
-John

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:18 PM »
while we're on the subject, this isnt a bookmark manager (can't annotate stuff), but it is a nice checker of links to find those that are no longer valid,  freeware from maker of website watcher, "am-deadlink":
http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 12:22 PM »
by the way, anyone here use stumbleupon:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/

for more info see:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/about.html

it's a really interesting thing, and i see visitors to donationcoder.com from stubleupon reviews in the traffic logs all the time.
seems like a nice idea and free plugins exist for ie and firefox.

i wonder about the idea of making a bookmark manager that somehow automatically sync'd comments about favorites with stumbled upon online databases..

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 02:01 PM »
never heard about stumbleupon until now - just installed it and have been playing around with it...

...brilliant.

great for idle browsing within a particular field or just as good for a lucky dip (i've just been clicking the stumble! button so far).

making a stumble! auto sync bookmark manager sounds like a good idea to go for - could you also incorporate a secondary (or primary) way of adding notes that isn't related to stumble - some of the notes i make would be pretty meaningless to anyone else, if you know what i mean.

i certainly think there is scope for another 'favorites/links/bookmarks' manager though. i've spent most of the afternoon trying a few out but none of them fit the bill completely.

so far 'Linkman' has the best integration - being able to grab a good amount of information from the meta tags of a page. but you can add plenty more notes and ratings, etc.

'NetMarks Manger' allows keywords and notes to be added (but doesn't grab them automatically) and also will render a small thumbnail of the page. doesn't appear to have a rating system unlike the above.

'NetVisualise' goes for an even more thumbnail preview approach and also allows notes to be added. i thought this would be a good thing but the length of time it takes to generate a thumbnail just takes too long - i don't have that amount of patience.

everything else i've looked at didn't really provide any way of adding your own comments or notes in a particularly useful way - though i'm sure someone will know of something better than what i've mentioned so far (well, here's hoping).

i'll wait a few more days but it looks like 'Linkman' will be forcing me to dust off my wallet.

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 06:06 PM »
I've been looking for the same thing myself, though it does depend on what one's interpretation of 'manager' is:

I used to use powermarks which was pretty good http://www.kaylon.com/power.html You can upload your favorites to The Web and retreive/update from home/work/where-ever.

I've been using approcket from http://www.candylabs.com/approcket/ It takes a lot of getting used to and uses far too much memory (that's .net for you) but it works very well for calling up any favorite, program or even an mp3 using the keyboard alone. I think it even learns a bit too and moves what you use often to the top of the list of possibilites.

An alternative to approcket is 1st turborun http://www.turborun.com/ Very small memory footprint, the free version does URLs only and might be just what you need. The paid version is not as versatile as approcket but it is small.

With both the above, the idea of typing a key combination and a couple of letters to get to the app/url/mpg you want is extremely attractive.

Bookmark Buddy and it's kin are just too fiddly for me and don't really improve a whole lot on what any browser provides. Linkman is a similar program.

I'm still on the lookout for the perfect manager, something like approcket with the size of 1st turborun and the ability to call upon an am-deadlink http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm type verifier.

Please excuse any meandering.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 06:22 PM »
self-advert:
find and run robot can be used to search your favorites.
i'm open to improving this ability based on feature requests.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 07:23 PM »
bookmark buddy is $30, yikes(!).

i'd love a (free) bookmark manager helper that didn't require me to import and export bookmarks from and to browser, but just did it automatically..

did you try it though? ;)

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 09:27 PM »
I've used Powermarks (as mentioned above) for years.  It's a few bucks cheaper than Linkman (at $25), and does let you save notes for URLs.  Works with Mozilla, Netscape (don't know about Netscape 8 though), Opera, Firefox, MSIE, NetCaptor, and Maxthon (or at least used to work with MyIE2), and probably others.

The main thing I like about Powermarks is that its search is instantaneous.  I have several thousand URLs in my Powermarks file, yet if I enter a string to narrow down the list of matching URLs, the list is updated essentially instantly with every keystroke.  I have seen others that aren't nearly so quick.

Another one is LinkStash.  A long time ago, I worked with the LinkStash author on adding Powermarks-like search functionality.  I never really used it to see how well it works (shhhh...  don't tell.  :)), but it may be worth checking out, as it's "only" $20.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 03:40 AM »
i couldn't see any note/comment making ability with 'bookmark buddy' so i didn't get very far with it after that.

'powermarks' i looked at but probably didn't give it enough time so i'll try it again.

'linkstash' i think i used some time ago and will also try again.

i think i was trying to find a clone of 'linkman' so i'll try and avoid doing that this time around.

dtrud0h

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Rant-Zone
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 08:18 AM »
I just use the one built into firefox.  There's a plugin that allows you to export all of firefox's bookmarks to IE automagically.  Both are free, of course.

Have you ever looked at the bookmarks.html file in your profile folder?  I wanted to include my bookmarks as links on a webpage and opened the file up.  Holy cow, I don't know what firefox stores there, the links all worked but some of the stuff attached to the links was outrageous.  I mean to delete one link while viewing the html code and holding the delete key down till the end of the line I bet it took no less than five minutes.

If anyone knows exactly why the links were so long, I would like to know.  For example, does firefox store visit to page info there, or cookie info along with the url?  It was all 'Gibbrish' to me but where this is a site for people who know "code" maybe someone here knows the answer to my query.
<- I have nothing witty to put here ->