topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Standalone colour blender.  (Read 15911 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Standalone colour blender.
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:23 AM »
From time to time I need to create colour gradients of up to 16 colours starting with just the colours at either end.
I do not need to actually see the colours during the process, what I do need to see are the HEX and RGB values.
I realise that this can be worked out mathematically but that takes time, more colours, longer the time.

Earlier today I discovered Color Blender which does what I am looking for online.
It is possible to download the source but that still means using a browser to run it, which I do not want to do.

What I am looking for is a small program that I can use offline without a browser.
The 'waterfall' display on the website is of no use to me, my interest is in what is to the left of it.
Actually showing the colours produced is not essential, although it was useful to have them there.
The rest of the layout would be ideal if it came as a standalone program.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Standalone colour blender.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:58 AM »
I'm going to give this a go. I'll try to have something by end of tomorrow.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03 AM »
DC member Hamradio made a pretty nice color tool called Color Warlock.. maybe this is a feature he would consider adding to it.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:05 PM »
DC member Hamradio made a pretty nice color tool called Color Warlock.. maybe this is a feature he would consider adding to it.

Believe it is already added to my program. See below its in the chart builder for my program mouser mentioned. :)

screen_04072013.png

Does not need installing just don't put it in a location like program files so it saves the configuration settings correctly to the program directory.

Save the charts to the custom directory and it will appear automatically in the Charts "Custom" menu with a small color preview beside it.  If you save elsewhere then you can use the open temporary color chart to open it.

Use that part then save the chart then it is possible to view the charts in main window.

Tip: You do not need to type in a hex for start color or end color as it can also come from a double click on the start color preview or end color preview to set the color to the current color that is in the color box. (Color box is the box above where it says AliceBlue in screenshot.)  So if you got the RGB set it in basic tab, then double click the color preview in blend to set it to that color.

You can have multiple color charts too with the rgb and hex values able to be copied with left/middle/right clicks. (Can customize the mouse button copy actions.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:30 PM by hamradio, Reason: Added screenshot and more info. »

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I have downloaded a copy of Color Warlock and will continue experimenting but I have a few thoughts about what I want to do.

I use RGB more than I use HEX so I would like to be able to enter Start and End Colours in HEX or RGB without having to convert them.
I would like to be able to choose whether to show HEX or RGB values under Colors of Chart.
I would like to be able to copy HEX or RGB values, individually or as a list (gradient), as text. (Only worked out how to do it individually.)

When I am creating gradients I tend to have several programs open on the screen at the same time, on a 24" or 27" monitor that is not a problem, on a 10" monitor it can be.
The main window of Color Warlock is not something I would use but besides opening first it stays open with the Chart Builder window, which in turn I could not reduce in size.

In some respects Color Warlock is more complex than I was looking for, having said that it does do most of what I want and I will hang on to it while I keep looking.
One thing I did like was the full range of Middle Colors, the website I linked to only goes to 10.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:55 AM »
I'll stop work on my app then. :-)

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13 AM »
How about I copy all that out and make a small version with adjustments for you from the Color Warlock code since you say you don't need the main window.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:03 AM »

I can only see the characters for your smilie so I'm not sure if that is good or bad. :-\

How about I copy all that out and make a small version with adjustments for you from the Color Warlock code since you say you don't need the main window.

Thank you for the offer, I will take you up on it but it might be easier if I take a more thorough look at the program as it stands so as not to keep coming back with different ideas.
If you don't mind waiting a couple of days I will make more detailed notes about possible changes and get back to you, then you can see what is or isn't possible. Is that OK?

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 10:27 AM »

I can only see the characters for your smilie so I'm not sure if that is good or bad. :-\

Thank you for the offer, I will take you up on it but it might be easier if I take a more thorough look at the program as it stands so as not to keep coming back with different ideas.
If you don't mind waiting a couple of days I will make more detailed notes about possible changes and get back to you, then you can see what is or isn't possible. Is that OK?
-pilgrim-online (April 08, 2013, 10:03 AM)

Well I went ahead and started work on it, should be able to use RGB(#, #, #) in the start and end color as well...and below is the current state of it...if you want to test it.

CodeName of it atm is Pilgrim Color Blender.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:14 PM by hamradio, Reason: Removed download cause of updated version. »

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47 AM »
CodeName of it atm is Pilgrim Color Blender.

Fame at last. :-[

I'll get back to you as soon as I have time to try it out, many thanks.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07 PM »
I have not had the time to sort all my thoughts out yet but when the possibility of modifying the Color Warlock program was made I realised it could not only create a gradient but replace one or more other programs I use in making them.
For instance, it has a colour picker built in, which would save me opening a separate program.
It has the ability to save a gradient and while I still want a way to save them as text I would not have to do it at the same time that I created them.

What I have managed to do is have a look at Pilgrim Color Blender which stands up well as a program in its own right.
I have found two issues with it, the first is that I cannot resize the window.
When I create a gradient I like to be able to see all of it or as much of it as possible without having to scroll, with CW I can either drag the window to increase its height or right click on the middle button (top right of the window) and with the help of The Wonderful Icon expand the window to the height of the screen. With PCB neither of these work.
The second issue is minor and does not greatly affect the use of the program.
I am able to paste both HEX and RGB values into the Start Color and End Color boxes and even if I mix the values (1 HEX, 1 RGB) it will produce a gradient (brilliant!), what I have discovered is that I cannot simply highlight and paste over anything that is already in the boxes I have to actually press delete, even if the box appears empty I still have to press delete before it will accept a new colour, I'm not sure if this is down to the program or the computer I am using.

That's as far as I have got for now.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I have not had the time to sort all my thoughts out yet but when the possibility of modifying the Color Warlock program was made I realised it could not only create a gradient but replace one or more other programs I use in making them.
For instance, it has a colour picker built in, which would save me opening a separate program.
It has the ability to save a gradient and while I still want a way to save them as text I would not have to do it at the same time that I created them.

What I have managed to do is have a look at Pilgrim Color Blender which stands up well as a program in its own right.
I have found two issues with it, the first is that I cannot resize the window.
When I create a gradient I like to be able to see all of it or as much of it as possible without having to scroll, with CW I can either drag the window to increase its height or right click on the middle button (top right of the window) and with the help of The Wonderful Icon expand the window to the height of the screen. With PCB neither of these work.
The second issue is minor and does not greatly affect the use of the program.
I am able to paste both HEX and RGB values into the Start Color and End Color boxes and even if I mix the values (1 HEX, 1 RGB) it will produce a gradient (brilliant!), what I have discovered is that I cannot simply highlight and paste over anything that is already in the boxes I have to actually press delete, even if the box appears empty I still have to press delete before it will accept a new colour, I'm not sure if this is down to the program or the computer I am using.

That's as far as I have got for now.

1. The resize thing is only temporary since I didn't have much time to fix it how I wanted and still not much due to a family health issue.
2. The colors not updating I can't reproduce.  However if a color doesn't match the format it wont update it will just keep the last color that was valid.
3. I may eventually add a few things to Color Warlock that will do what you want, but at the time it will be as PBC as since I don't have much time don't want to hurry around with it's code and create bugs that I cant fix as fast as with smaller code to work with.
4. That said hopefully will be able to fix it up tomorrow or this weekend sometime with re-sizable form to resize the controls good and optimize the interface a little bit.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:35 AM »
There's no urgency whatsoever, for one thing it's not something I use every day, for another I can easily work with what I've got, a lot easier than when I started this thread.

I will put my ideas together into a reasonably coherent form and post the results for you to look at as and when.

Best wishes for a speedy and positive outcome to the health issue.

Pilgrim.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 08:36 PM »
There's no urgency whatsoever, for one thing it's not something I use every day, for another I can easily work with what I've got, a lot easier than when I started this thread.

I will put my ideas together into a reasonably coherent form and post the results for you to look at as and when.

Best wishes for a speedy and positive outcome to the health issue.

Pilgrim.

I've been doing a few things to it already that I think has helped and resize vertically is in there. Anyways got your ideas together? :D

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 03:06 AM »
I've put together a composite image based on the parts of the two programs that I use and leaving out others, based on a single window.
I think the image will explain what I have in mind but if there is anything you want clarification on let me know.
I have shown the 'Blend' window because the 'Basic' and 'Screen' sections remain unchanged.

Color Warlock.jpg

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04 PM »
I've put together a composite image based on the parts of the two programs that I use and leaving out others, based on a single window.
I think the image will explain what I have in mind but if there is anything you want clarification on let me know.
I have shown the 'Blend' window because the 'Basic' and 'Screen' sections remain unchanged.
 (see attachment in previous post)

Which of those in the composite image besides the obvious do you use (i.e buttons and/or menu items)?

Actually here...The file menu in this one is disabled, but heres the latest...You can use Ctrl + A when the list is focused to select all. You may also just select the ones you need to copy out and it will only copy out the selected items into a list of your choosing.  You should be able to mix and match color styles input either/or and get the other on the copy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:01 PM by hamradio, Reason: Removed Attachment »

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:13 AM »
Everything I left in the image I would use.

I just tried the update to PCB, I like the two small menu options and also the copy options.

I mentioned previously about window size when used on a 10" screen, I have incorporated the PCB update into my previous image and come up with the following which is smaller still.

Color Warlock.jpg

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:28 AM by pilgrim »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Updated to 1.2 build 20 you can find the download @ http://carrolld.dcmembers.com/downloads/ as "pcb.zip".

+ Color grabber added.
+ All file menu options work.
+ Generate Menu (This currently works based off which textbox has focus of the start/end color textboxes.)
+ Added start color, end color, and middle colors data to blend files.

Try it out and let me know what else I should do to it and if you notice any bugs. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:12 PM by hamradio, Reason: Removed screenshot for the next update in my next post. »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44 PM »
* skwire adds this to his application toolbox.

Absolutely lovely, ham.  Well done.  =]

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24 AM »
Yes, this looks really nice :-*
Tom

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Updated to 1.2 build 30 you can find the download @ http://carrolld.dcmembers.com/downloads/ as "pcb.zip".

Click image for fullsize image...
screen_06282013_edited.pngIDEA: Standalone colour blender.

Build 20 had...
+ Color grabber added.
+ All file menu options work.
+ Generate Menu (This currently works based off which textbox has focus of the start/end color textboxes.)
+ Added start color, end color, and middle colors data to blend files.

As of build 30 with today's update...

+ Added swap start and end colors...
+ Options menu with the option to switch color grabber to RGB mode.
! Modified the blend listbox tooltiptext to show all of the shortcuts for when it is focused.
* A couple bugs squashed in their tracks.

Try it out and let me know what else I should do to it and if you notice any bugs. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:30 PM by hamradio, Reason: Carried over what build 20 contained... »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Updated to 1.3 build 1

This may well be the best version yet. :)

Download: http://carrolld.dcmembers.com/downloads/ as "pcb.zip".

+ Added Import from Color Warlock, JASC-PAL, and GIMP Palette files.
+ Added Export to Image (PNG, GIF, BMP, JPG) to the export menu. (Note: The icon was exported from the program itself.)
+ Added recent files menu to the files menu. (Will display up to 10 before overwriting the oldest (bottom file in list).)
+ Added Blender Append Mode or "BAM" for short to options.
+ Added Default Copy Action to options.
+ Added Use RGB for Create Default to options.
+ Added the ability to click the color preview in Color Grabber to change between hex/rgb and vice versa.
+ Added the ability to right click the start or end color preview to change the default startup color of each or reset them to the built-in default.
+ Added the ability to right click the middle colors numeric up/down textbox to change the default startup middle colors amount or reset it to the built-in default.
! Modified the generate menu to where if neither start or end color is focused it generates a different one for both at same time.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:38 PM by hamradio, Reason: Added a note... »