topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CHS Request - Appending WindowsTitle, DateTime etc. within the clip  (Read 17046 times)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CHS Request - Appending WindowsTitle, DateTime etc. within the clip
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Thanks Mouser. That worked!  :Thmbsup:

I have now moved on to further exploration and noticed another issue. I am not sure whether this is bug or is something which needs setting adjustments at my end:

The %Title% operator is not capturing the window title. Instead it is capturing the same information as the %Application% operator. So when I copy something from this page, instead of capturing the title (CHS Request  - Appending .... DonationCoder.com - Mozilla Firefox), it just captures the date followed by (Firefox).

A more concrete example follows:

The template:

--------------------

The following text has been copied from %Title% ( %Notes.withprefix%)
 in %Application% on %CreationDateTime%

: - -

%clip%

--------------------

results in

--------------------

The following text has been copied from 20.10.2012 (Firefox) ( Notes: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32163.new#new)
 in Firefox [firefox.exe] on 10/20/12 16:28:16

: - -

Make sure you have the option checked to grab URLs as notes, on Capture Options tab

--------------------

Thanks for looking into these issues and for the helpful hints  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Ok this is an excellent question, and it's bound to be a source of confusion.

The "Paste Templates" work with clips stored in the database.  The clips in the database do not record the window title associated with each clip.  They only record the application name.  The %Title% field refers to the clip "Title" column in the grid.

Now, at the time of capturing a clip, the Window Title *IS* available at the moment of capture, and you can use this window title as part of what gets stored as the clip record "title"..  Confusing isn't it?

Let me explain it in another way.  If you go into CHS options, on the "Clipboard" tab you will see a box for "Clip Naming"; this is where you set the title column for the clips in the database.  Here you can use "%windowtitle%" if you wish.  (By default the clip Title is the date and application name).

So what you could do is modify that field to save the window title, and then when you use %Title% in the Paste Template, you'd get the clip record title, which would include the window title..

Perhaps I should add a new column for every clip that stores the captured window title explicitly for every clip?

That would solve this problem and perhaps be useful in finding relevant clips when searching and filtering..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:18 PM by mouser »

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 01:52 PM »
 :D That was an excellent tutorial on a really confusing concept.  You are an excellent distant learning trainer.

AND: Your Advice Worked. I will continue my lookout for posing more queries. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I have uploaded a new beta; there is now a new dedicated column/field for all clips which stores the active window title, and it can be used explicitly in Paste Templates, referred to by %WindowTitle%.

(again this will field will only be non-blank work for new clips captured since the new beta was installed).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 09:12 PM »
In the Options | Capture Options, is there any chance of getting an increase in the text capture max size limit, and of turning on the Richtext and/or OLE data options? The latter seem to be still greyed-out in my installed version 2.16.02.

CHS - Capture Options - limits + constraints.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Your requests are part of a handful of features that combined make up *the* big item on my todo list:
Capturing of arbitrarily sized arbitrary data types.

I will be adding these, but not in the next release.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 09:32 PM »
If you downloaded the new version in the last two hours please redownload the just uploaded new version -- previous version had a bug that would give error on paste.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 12:53 PM »
I second IainB request regarding the rich text and OLE data options. Hope to see these features implemented in one of the earlier upcoming versions.

Mouser. Thanks for the new beta and the new template possibilities included within it. I have not been on my PC much over the last couple of days, and did not have the possibility of downloading the new version earlier. Will do so now and report back my experiences.

:-)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An update, after 6 months of using this feature:

I started using the feature in earnest only around January, when I finally got down to researching for and writing an article in earnest. This delay was the reason, why no update was provided earlier. Apologies for that. In the last three months, I have used this feature extensively, and am happy to report that as yet, I have not experienced any problems. This feature has helped me manage my research notes to a very satisfactory level. I generally, copy and paste the notes, I need to save in a word file by appending the notes together with the source, source window title, and date. This way, I have a well organized set of research notes, together with the source reference which I often need to re-access.

Thanks a lot, Mouser.  :up: :Thmbsup: :D