topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Data Disclosure  (Read 3194 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Data Disclosure
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:25 PM »

[ California got this one right....]

California Considers Pushing Data Disclosure Envelope Again
California, which set the standard for data breach notifications nationwide, is again seeking to set a precedent by becoming the first state in the nation to require companies upon request disclose to California consumers the data they've collected and to whom it was shared during the past year. They would be required to respond within 30 days and provide the report for free.

http://threatpost.co...nvelope-again-040213

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Data Disclosure
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08 AM »
That's movement in the right direction...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:19 AM »
California?  :huh:

I'm stunned.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:53 AM »
[ California got this one right....]

California Considers Pushing Data Disclosure Envelope Again
California, which set the standard for data breach notifications nationwide, is again seeking to set a precedent by becoming the first state in the nation to require companies upon request disclose to California consumers the data they've collected and to whom it was shared during the past year. They would be required to respond within 30 days and provide the report for free.

http://threatpost.co...nvelope-again-040213

I know, posting before ReadingTheArticle isn't as kosher here as Slashdot, but is this really true?!! This is not just a random state like Mississippi doing this, it's California. "Data they have collected" *AND* "to whom it was shared"?!!

I'll just dangle that thread opener without the 17 paragraphs of implications. As written as a short summary it's stunning but I simply don't believe it's quite up to what a raw reading says.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:54 AM »
If California mandated data disclosure, it's a good bet the rest of the country, or at least many other states, will follow suit. What upsets liberals and spurs them to demand action goes triple for conservatives in Red states.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:47 PM »
If California mandated data disclosure, it's a good bet the rest of the country, or at least many other states, will follow suit. What upsets liberals and spurs them to demand action goes triple for conservatives in Red states.

Notice that *California* pulls in both Google and Apple. Two of THE biggest data hoarders around. Hence my questions about if the law has teeth.

There's two more big "states" that matter, and they're both Washington. That pulls in Microsoft out of Redmond, and all the shenanigan companies in Washington DC on the political side.

So we'll see. If it lands, it's the law of the decade. But we'll see if it becomes "conveniently" shot down. Or if passed, gleefully ignored.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:23 PM »
California?  :huh:

I'm stunned.

I know, right?   :D