ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cheap LED torches/flashlights - any good?

(1/6) > >>

rjbull:
A few years ago, I got mildly interested in modern LED torches (flashlights, to those of you west of the Atlantic).  I settled on a Fenix L1D, a model I think they no longer make, and was very impressed with the light output from a small torch with a single high-quality LED and a single AA battery.  Indeed, sometimes it's too bright.

There are still plenty of premium models around from the likes of Fenix themselves, LED Lenser, Maglite, Ansmann and others, but lately I see every outlet rife with dirt-cheap multi-LED torches that may not be of such quality, but still deliver a lot of light at low cost.

If you aren't an emergency services professional, or the like, and just want a torch for around the house and garden, or for carrying in your car, is there really any point now in buying an expensive top-brand model?

tomos:
LED's 'fade' with time, so I guess a big question is, whether the more expensive versions avoid that. I've seen the 'fade' happen with a cheap one I bought. A friend of mine had an expensive one, but it's gotten a lot less use so I cant really compare.

They are very bright - sometimes when driving I get blinded by cyclists cause their beam is too high. Usually I'm trying to figure out wtf is this light and then it's too late to 'flash' them (do Americans say 'flash' - or is that dodgy... or is it only dodgy in English English :tellme:)

So, no answers here I'm afraid, only more questions ;)

40hz:
I own several LED torches made by Brinkmann. They're rugged and inexpensive compared to many I've seen. But they still throw some serious white light. I've been through a tropical storm, a hurricane and a few blizzards with these guys. And I keep a couple in my tech kit and travel bag. No complaints. And at less than $15 each I'm not too upset when I occasionally "lose" one. Beats my old 'go to' flashlight - the classic krypton bulb Maglite - hands down. The Maglite LED "tactical' models may be better. But I'm not about to drop $60-$80 just to find out. And I really don't need anything that bright (310 lumens!) to begin with.

YMMV. :Thmbsup:

Tinman57:
  The cheaper torches will throw out good light, but they're built from inferior quality parts. Just dropping one from a few feet will normally put an end to their use.  The higher end (MagLite, etc) can be ran over by cars as in their commercials and still work.  I own several Maglites and a few other high quality torches, have had them for years and years now and still work like new.

Just remember the old (but true) adage "You get what you pay for" and "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't".

x16wda:
I bought a 3-pack of LED flashlights at Costco last fall.  They are very bright (which is welcome for walking, and cleaning up after, three big dogs in the dark).  I keep one in my coat pocket, one in the leash bucket, and one near the door.  The switch is a button on the end which goes from off to very bright to VERY BRIGHT to flashing.

Within two weeks the switch on first light I had pulled out had already started to get flaky, and two weeks after that it was useless enough that I tossed it.

That said, the other lights have been very reliable and have lasted through the winter without a hitch (and in fact I picked up another 3-pack before they were all gone).

FWIW I also have an LED Lenser which I keep at my bedside table.  Don't use it often but it has always been perfectly reliable.  It cost more than that 3-pack did, but I expect there is better consistency in the units, and heavier duty cycle switches.  Especially in the cheap LED lights you see ($3.99 at the Office Depot checkout line) the switches are the weakest link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version