topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mini Victory for Sanity Against Apple  (Read 2457 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Mini Victory for Sanity Against Apple
« on: March 31, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Can you trademark the word "mini"? Apparently not...

http://www.cbsnews.c...rk-ipad-mini-denied/

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has denied Apple's bid to trademark the term "iPad Mini," contending that "mini" is "merely descriptive" of goods or services sold in miniature form.

In a letter sent to Apple in January but only recently published, the USPTO reviewer denied Apple's application because "the applied-for mark merely describes a feature or characteristic of applicant's goods." Apple can appeal the decision, but to win a reversal the company will need to address the office's reasons for denial.

The reviewer argues that "iPad" is descriptive of the products services, specifically that the "i" denotes Internet-related services, while "mini" describes the product as a distinctly smaller version of similar products. Marks that combine descriptive terms that retain their descriptive meaning in relation to goods or services are composite marks that are not registrable, the letter states (see below).

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mini Victory for Sanity Against Apple
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52 AM »
But they weren't trying to trademark mini by itself, right?   Just the phrase "iPad Mini" together?  I actually don't see what the problem is, truthfully...

If they were trying to trademark "mini" by itself, then that would be a different story IMO.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05 AM »
But they weren't trying to trademark mini by itself, right?   Just the phrase "iPad Mini" together?  I actually don't see what the problem is, truthfully...

If they were trying to trademark "mini" by itself, then that would be a different story IMO.

Really? It's APPLE. They give meaning to "evil". Give them an inch, and they'll rape the galaxy. Errr... actually they've already done that. :P But you get the point. They cannot be trusted with anything. They'd use that trademark to beat everyone and anyone for any reason. They're purely abusive.

While your comment there makes sense for sane people, I find it hard to apply to Apple with a straight face.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:41 AM »
While your comment there makes sense for sane people, I find it hard to apply to Apple with a straight face.

Agree. You can't give a single inch when dealing with Cupertino. They're the largest consumer of their own kool-aid. They tried not long ago to claim an exclusive right to use the lowercase letter "i" as a prefix to anything despite the fact several products had already used it long before Apple had even come up with the 'itunes' moniker.

Also, when the Mac Mini first came out, they tried to claim exclusive use of the word 'mini' in a computer product name.

Apple is one of those companies that firmly believes that, unless they're specifically told "NO", they have tacit legal permission to interpret things their own way - and have the right to enforce it too!
 :-\