topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Defense Distributed Domain Stolen!  (Read 9616 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Defense Distributed Domain Stolen!
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:04 PM »
The US government has stolen the defensedistributed.com domain:

http://defensedistributed.com/

usc_domain.jpg

I was going to post this in the Basement, but it's just too important to hide.

Welcome to the new era of Orwellian censorship. Information is a crime. What you think is a crime.

Download what you can now.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Defense Distributed Domain Stolen!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:49 PM »
ONGOMGOMG!!! And on today of all days!!! Who could have possibly dreamed of this!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:56 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:59 PM »
ONGOMGOMG!!! And on today of all days!!! Who could have possibly dreamed of this!

A very sick and twisted joke indeed. And all too real. It would be good if it were a joke.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Those first two counts are sketchy indeed.  The last two...well, I'd guess it would be unrelated.  Unless they're talking about donations, which would be really messed up.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:43 PM »

A very sick and twisted joke indeed. And all too real. It would be good if it were a joke.

Are we sure it isn't yet? Just askin' :)

Reason being there's nothing on the major wire services I've seen so far - and the feds tend to try do this sort of thing with a great deal of fanfare. And the domain registration still shows as it used to be (it was registered on GoDaddy) and the IP address the URL is pointing to (141.101.117.93) is found in the Western EU - not likely to be a US DoJ address - so I'm semi-skeptical.

Trace data

TraceRoute from Network-Tools.com to 141.101.117.93 [defensedistributed.com]
Hop   (ms)   (ms)   (ms)        IP Address           Host name
1      6      5      34         24.153.208.145    rrcs-24-153-208-145.sw.biz.rr.com  
2      9      7      7         71.40.237.84            xe-1-0-0-0.reserved.tx.twcbiz.com  
3      12      7      7         24.175.49.7            agg10.dllatx10-cr02.texas.rr.com  
4      9      7      7         24.175.49.8            agg21.hstntxl3-cr01.texas.rr.com  
5      12      7      7         66.109.6.108            ae-2-0.cr0.hou30.tbone.rr.com  
6      10      7      7         66.109.6.39            ae-0-0.cr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com  
7      5      5      5         107.14.17.234     -  
8      9      6      9         69.31.63.1            xe-2-0-3.ar1.dfw1.us.nlayer.net  
9      5      5      5         69.31.63.182            as13335.xe-4-0-5.ar1.dfw1.us.nlayer.net  
10      5      5      5         141.101.117.93     -  

Trace complete

IP address: 141.101.116.93
Host name: defensedistributed.com

canonical name: defensedistributed.com
141.101.116.93 is from European Union(EU) in region Western Europe

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:07 PM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I have no idea whether this was an April Fool's-type joke, and I was largely ignorant of the significance of the defensedistributed.com domain anyway, though I was vaguely aware of but not overly interested in the technology used in the printing manufacture of gun components.
I had to do some googling on the subject to reduce my ignorance.

Discovery: Whoops! This looks like a pretty important domain to those who would see themselves as upholding and protecting the full intent of the Second Amendment, even as the latter seems to be undergoing a State-sponsored whittling-away under their very noses.

However, I am skeptical about this supposed domain seizure. It could well be an AF joke by (say) defensedistributed.com supporters, intended to make it look as though defensedistributed.com was a victim and was having the book thrown at it by the Establishment in order to kill it stone dead.
In which case, some people (not me, you understand) might say that this could presumably be an attempt at suggesting that, if defensedistributed.com has not in actuality done anything illegal yet - as a corporate person - and if it could also be perceived as a potential or real threat to the Establishment, then all due process within the State's ambit could (and just might) be brought to bear to ensure that defensedistributed.com and those associated with it were turned into or re-engineered in the public's eye as criminals and pariahs in society. However, I couldn't possibly comment.

We shall no doubt be told whether it was a joke.

Either way, one wonders what Julian Assange would make of this, or, for that matter, what Aaron Swartz (apparently regarded by many as a martyr to the cause of Freedom) might have made of it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:41 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor correction. »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Some news on it:

http://www.copblock....-files-for-firearms/

http://www.dailypaul...-defense-distributed (note the comment about the EXIF data - good catch!)

http://www.freerepub...oggers/3002928/posts (note the note about misspelling... good catch too!)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:47 PM »
On this date, every year, my entire day is spent browsing whilst looking like this:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45 PM »
@stephen re: the above- -LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll let Felicia Day (since she's prettier) do my usual expression whenever I'm browsing on the 1st. ;)

fd.jpgDefense Distributed Domain Stolen!
        Like seriously?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47 PM »
 :mad: I'm not a big fan of these things when they don't get the timezones right. :( For that one, sadly, it was pretty believable.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:21 PM »
How ren is currently feeling about this prank:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25 PM »
:mad: I'm not a big fan of these things when they don't get the timezones right. :( For that one, sadly, it was pretty believable.

I'm not a fan of those period.  I mean, I just don't get April Fool's Day at all.  Most of the jokes aren't funny, and if they are believable enough, can create a lot of chaos.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:31 PM »
They can be fun in person, but on the Internet? They just don't work. Timezones monkey them up badly.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51 PM »
Interesting thing is that although the seizure page was a prank, using an image of a badge, logo or insignia of a federal agency without proper authorization (or doing something which may lead someone to reasonably believe you are representing a federal agency) is illegal in the US.

Hopefully, this gag won't backfire on them. :o

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Interesting thing is that although the seizure page was a prank, using an image of a badge, logo or insignia of a federal agency without proper authorization (or doing something which may lead someone to reasonably believe you are representing a federal agency) is illegal in the US.

Hopefully, this gag won't backfire on them. :o

Interesting point.

But they didn't represent that they were a part of the govt. They merely represented that the govt. stole their domain and charged them. Not sure that the distinction would matter though. When it's illegal to dig a large ditch on your own property out in the country-side, anything is possible.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48 AM »
^Fortunately, I think most of the web news crowd was skeptical. Most didn't take the story and run with it since there was no corroborating evidence any seizure took place. (A phone call to the hosting company was all it would have taken to confirm it.)

Had the thing blown up, gotten massive coverage, and prompted the DoJ to make a formal statement of denial, things might have gone very differently. Because kidding aside, putting a fake seizure page up on your site is not much different than telling the news media that the feds showed up with a warrant, kicked your door in, and confiscated all your computers and data files.

At the very least, there's a copyright violation if those logos are the actual logos of the DoJ or DHS. (There's actually a federal reg that points out they're copyrighted and can only be used with permission.) I suppose you could make an argument for "fair use." But I don't think you could make it stick with something like this.

Anyway, it seems to have blown over with little wind damage. So I doubt the government will want to court the Streisand Effect by doing anything about it - even though I'm guessing they could. Down the road things might go differently however. Defense Distributed has fired an opening salvo. Even if it was intended to be taken purely as a joke with no political agenda intended. (Yeah right!) Unfortunately, that's the sort of move that can put you "on the radar screen." Very dumb IMO. (Rule #1 when challenging the Powers That Be: Pick your venues - and have a clear goal in view when confronting your opponent.) But what's done is done.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 07:03 AM »
^Fortunately, I think most of the web news crowd was skeptical. Most didn't take the story and run with it since there was no corroborating evidence any seizure took place. (A phone call to the hosting company was all it would have taken to confirm it.)

Had the thing blown up, gotten massive coverage, and prompted the DoJ to make a formal statement of denial, things might have gone very differently. Because kidding aside, putting a fake seizure page up on your site is not much different than telling the news media that the feds showed up with a warrant, kicked your door in, and confiscated all your computers and data files.

At the very least, there's a copyright violation if those logos are the actual logos of the DoJ or DHS. (There's actually a federal reg that points out they're copyrighted and can only be used with permission.) I suppose you could make an argument for "fair use." But I don't think you could make it stick with something like this.

Anyway, it seems to have blown over with little wind damage. So I doubt the government will want to court the Streisand Effect by doing anything about it - even though I'm guessing they could. Down the road things might go differently however. Defense Distributed has fired an opening salvo. Even if it was intended to be taken purely as a joke with no political agenda intended. (Yeah right!) Unfortunately, that's the sort of move that can put you "on the radar screen." Very dumb IMO. (Rule #1 when challenging the Powers That Be: Pick your venues - and have a clear goal in view when confronting your opponent.) But what's done is done.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

3 felonies a day. :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 08:08 AM »
They can be fun in person, but on the Internet? They just don't work. Timezones monkey them up badly.

Even in person, timing is important.  And most people don't have a sense of it to that extent.