ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Registry cleaning software debunked...

<< < (9/9)

tslim:
I have firm info from Seagate engineer about their HDD. Unless you go for their high end brand, otherwise you are using sub standard HDD. I only use Western Digital HDD.

40hz:
re:alignment

Although a little dated (and addressed to Linux users) this IBM article offers a very good discussion and collection of tools and techniques for dealing with disk sector alignment. Well worth a read since the underlying technical issues addressed in the article are applicable to all operating systems.

You can also download the paper as a PDF here.

Recommended. 8)

pilgrim:
Thanks for the link.

Reading that brought back some memories and I never knew about the jumper on WD drives before although I never used them at the time.

It also shows how software has moved on since it was written, GParted was one of the programs I used, the latest version mentioned is 0.6.6, the latest is 0.15.0.

Around that time Paragon produced a White Paper on the subject which is still available HERE. It's a direct link to the Paragon PDF download and avoids registration.

kyrathaba:
I use Defraggler myself.  Really great program that's small and remarkably fast.
--- End quote ---

Agree with you it's a great program. I like that, after the main Defrag runs, it gives you a list of stubborn files that are still somewhat fragrmented. Check those files you wish (or all of them with a single click to "Select All") and Defraggler will do its best to defrag these (usually quite large) files. It'll fail on some, but succeed on most.

Tinman57:
I use Defraggler myself.  Really great program that's small and remarkably fast.
--- End quote ---

Agree with you it's a great program. I like that, after the main Defrag runs, it gives you a list of stubborn files that are still somewhat fragrmented. Check those files you wish (or all of them with a single click to "Select All") and Defraggler will do its best to defrag these (usually quite large) files. It'll fail on some, but succeed on most.
-kyrathaba (April 13, 2013, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also like how it shows the fragments, by file and by block.  And the Analysis is so quick too.  The Disk Health provides a huge amount of checks on the drive, very professional looking.  I sent them a donation long ago after experimenting with it for a long time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version