topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 546944 times)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately
« Reply #775 on: December 22, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Godless (TV series)
Coco
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:23 AM by panzer »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #776 on: December 22, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Man of Steel.
My favorite Superman movie so far.  In this case the cliche "action packed" actually applies.  :D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #777 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Tech espionage

paranoia-poster.jpgMovies you've seen lately

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #778 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Man of Steel.
My favorite Superman movie so far.  In this case the cliche "action packed" actually applies.  :D

I loved it too, but it appears that the die hard fans don't like it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately - A Christmas Carol (B&W, 1951).
« Reply #779 on: December 24, 2017, 04:17 AM »
It's Christmas! Time for the Christmas spirit.
Spotted this post in my BazQux feed-reader: It's Time to Watch Alastair Sim's Scrooge. Again.
So I downloaded the 1951 B&W (all British cast) film and watched it with my 7 y/o son.

As well as having read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol a couple of times as a child, I think I've probably seen all/most of the film and TV versions (though I don't recall the 1935 version). However, no-one seemed to capture Scrooge so perfectly as Alastair Sim in this 1951 version. Really good supporting cast as well.

So:
"A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!"
 - Tiny Tim - A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #780 on: December 26, 2017, 04:09 PM »

Man of Steel.

Heh.  One thing that bugs me about Superman is how can he claim to be "Super Intelligent" when he flies around with a cape creating immense drag?  That thing should only be worn around the house like a smoking jacket.  :D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #781 on: December 26, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Good thriller, not much more to say imo

It_(2017)_poster.jpgMovies you've seen lately

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #782 on: December 30, 2017, 02:58 AM »
New Tricks season 1 (TV series)
The Secret in Their Eyes/El secreto de sus ojos
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #783 on: December 30, 2017, 09:05 AM »

Man of Steel.

Heh.  One thing that bugs me about Superman is how can he claim to be "Super Intelligent" when he flies around with a cape creating immense drag?  That thing should only be worn around the house like a smoking jacket.  :D

Perhaps he flies so fast that the drag is insignificant to him getting where he needs to go? :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #784 on: December 30, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Man of Steel.

Perhaps he flies so fast that the drag is insignificant to him getting where he needs to go? :P

Could be he earns Sky Miles.  Or perhaps the S is really a corporate logo and he gets Promotional Consideration?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #785 on: December 30, 2017, 09:50 AM »
I watched Julia's Eyes. Nice plot, badly played.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #786 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Get Out

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Jumanji-Welcome-to-the-Jungle-2017-movie-poster.jpg

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Much better than I thought it would be... especially for a remake.  It's a lot more coherent than the original, with some great turns for the actors, adapted to a new age.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #788 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Blade Runner 2049
A Christmas Story

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #789 on: January 12, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Loving Vincent
http://www.imdb.com/...262342/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Animated using actual paintings in the style of Van Gogh. Actors then have some kind of filter applied to make them look in the same style. There was some variation, but it worked very well. Every now and again, a scene comes along that's exactly like one of his paintings. The story worked quite well, it's after Vincents death, with someone trying to deliver a letter to his brother, and trying to find out what actually happened to him, and why he died.

vincent-poster.jpg

I enjoyed it
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #790 on: January 12, 2018, 05:35 PM »
As well as having read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol a couple of times as a child, I think I've probably seen all/most of the film and TV versions (though I don't recall the 1935 version). However, no-one seemed to capture Scrooge so perfectly as Alastair Sim in this 1951 version. Really good supporting cast as well.

I actually saw the 1935 version over Christmas, can highly recommend it -- loved Scrooge, and the very dramatic acting style of the time suited well.
https://www.youtube....h?v=cwuJpaWtcF8&
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #791 on: January 27, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Tschick a.k.a. Goodbye Berlin
German teenage road movie

Screenshot - 2018-01-27 , 20_56_24.pngMovies you've seen lately

I had already read the book a couple of years ago, they gave it the dubious title of 'Why we took the Car' in English (I read it in deutsch so cant vouch for the translation). Loved the book, and really enjoyed the movie, saw it in the cinema which helps.
Gets an imo well deserved 7.1 on imdb
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #792 on: February 11, 2018, 12:25 AM »
I watched Thor: Ragnarok recently.

I went into it without knowing much of anything about it. I saw part of a trailer for it, showing Thor in some kind of coliseum and an appearance from the Hulk. That's what I thought the movie was going to be about: 90-120 minutes of powerful beings across the universe being forced to battle in a gladiator-style tournament, with Thor climbing the ranks, eventually competing against the Hulk (and maybe other members of the Avengers) and ultimately teaming up with them and overthrowing/escaping the arena to return home. I was very much mistaken; The coliseum played a relatively minor role in the overall plot.

I was really surprised by how the movie didn't take itself seriously in the slightest. It was really funny. I also got a weird retro 80's synth vibe from many parts of the film that just felt out of place to me. Like they were trying to tap into people's nostalgia and the successes of Guardians of the Galaxy and Stranger Things, but in totally random and arbitrary ways. It also had some of the worst and most obvious and unnatural looking CG effects I've seen in a movie since that super creepy, horrifying CG baby from the Twilight film(s).

It seems the marvel movies are suffering from the same thing that (as I understand) tends to happen in comics: Each one tries so hard to out-do the previous entries, with the characters and their enemies becoming even more powerful, until the stakes get raised so high it becomes increasingly bombastic and absurd.

The plot was so absurd, the battles were so over the top (in a Dragon Ball Z kind of way), and the terrible CG was so awfully jarring, that I found myself unable to care about much of anything that was going on. I could no longer suspend my disbelief, so I just had to try to enjoy the spectacle of it all without engaging the rational part of my brain at all. A bunch of people died, but none of it was of any consequence. There was an attempt at a noble sacrifice near the end, but even that played out to be more humorous than meaningful.

If you like the superhero movies, especially the Marvel ones, you'll probably enjoy Ragnarok.

I enjoyed it. It entertained me. Yet I'm not sure I would recommend it. Maybe if you go into it expecting it to be one of those so-stupid-it's-funny comedies like Napoleon Dynamite or Nacho Libre. I guess I could summarize it by saying that it was funny and entertaining, but it wasn't very good.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #793 on: February 11, 2018, 12:35 AM »
I find the recent focus on constant humor jarring in these super heroes movies.. the same thing bugged me in the last star wars.. It seems like it is the way things these movies are made these days.. It's just too much, it takes me out of the movie.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #794 on: February 11, 2018, 08:50 AM »
It seems the marvel movies are suffering from the same thing that (as I understand) tends to happen in comics: Each one tries so hard to out-do the previous entries, with the characters and their enemies becoming even more powerful, until the stakes get raised so high it becomes increasingly bombastic and absurd.

It seems that it was more the director, than the overall marvel movies, IMO.  It seems like it's more along the lines of Heavy Metal, which works if you know that going in, like I did (and many others as it's at 92% RT).  The only ones that were really humorous through and through were GotG 1 & 2 and Ant-Man.  GotG2 suffered for it- Ant-Man did not.

It seems to me that there is some fatigue with Superhero movies, but it's not necessarily as much as the fatigued would want it to be, and much like Pixar, people are waiting for the fall, so their predictions can be right.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #795 on: February 11, 2018, 02:26 PM »
To be fair, the first two Thor movies played it straight and were just not good. So I guess it's an improvement that at least Ragnarok was funny and entertaining.

I felt GotG2 suffered from many things, but not the humor. With the exception that Drax, who it was established in the first film didn't understand humor and sarcasm, was the one cracking all the jokes and laughing all the time, which seemed very out of character. (I felt that many of the characters acted out of character in 2.) So in that sense, and in those instances, the humor fell flat in my opinion. But otherwise, I came into it expecting a lot of humor, since the first was so funny.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #796 on: February 11, 2018, 02:42 PM »
For the record I loved Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and thought the humor was perfect.  And I liked #2 as well, though not as much.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #797 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07 PM »
To be fair, the first two Thor movies played it straight and were just not good. So I guess it's an improvement that at least Ragnarok was funny and entertaining.

I felt GotG2 suffered from many things, but not the humor. With the exception that Drax, who it was established in the first film didn't understand humor and sarcasm, was the one cracking all the jokes and laughing all the time, which seemed very out of character. (I felt that many of the characters acted out of character in 2.) So in that sense, and in those instances, the humor fell flat in my opinion. But otherwise, I came into it expecting a lot of humor, since the first was so funny.
I actually liked the first one best as a movie, just not the pacing. I never saw the second for anything other than what everyone ekse was saying which colored my views, but I couldn't get past that in order to formulate my own opinion.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #798 on: February 12, 2018, 05:35 PM »
I actually liked the first one best as a movie, just not the pacing. I never saw the second for anything other than what everyone ekse was saying which colored my views, but I couldn't get past that in order to formulate my own opinion.

Are you talking about the Thor movies, or the Guardians movies? And I'm not sure what "everyone else was saying" about it, so I don't know exactly what you mean, but it sounds like it wasn't good.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:21 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #799 on: February 12, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Thor.  And critics and basically everyone that I talked to about it.