ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (159/182) > >>

tomos:
As well as having read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol a couple of times as a child, I think I've probably seen all/most of the film and TV versions (though I don't recall the 1935 version). However, no-one seemed to capture Scrooge so perfectly as Alastair Sim in this 1951 version. Really good supporting cast as well.
-IainB (December 24, 2017, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I actually saw the 1935 version over Christmas, can highly recommend it -- loved Scrooge, and the very dramatic acting style of the time suited well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwuJpaWtcF8&

tomos:
Tschick a.k.a. Goodbye Berlin
German teenage road movie

Movies you've seen lately

I had already read the book a couple of years ago, they gave it the dubious title of 'Why we took the Car' in English (I read it in deutsch so cant vouch for the translation). Loved the book, and really enjoyed the movie, saw it in the cinema which helps.
Gets an imo well deserved 7.1 on imdb

Deozaan:
I watched Thor: Ragnarok recently.

I went into it without knowing much of anything about it. I saw part of a trailer for it, showing Thor in some kind of coliseum and an appearance from the Hulk. That's what I thought the movie was going to be about: 90-120 minutes of powerful beings across the universe being forced to battle in a gladiator-style tournament, with Thor climbing the ranks, eventually competing against the Hulk (and maybe other members of the Avengers) and ultimately teaming up with them and overthrowing/escaping the arena to return home. I was very much mistaken; The coliseum played a relatively minor role in the overall plot.

I was really surprised by how the movie didn't take itself seriously in the slightest. It was really funny. I also got a weird retro 80's synth vibe from many parts of the film that just felt out of place to me. Like they were trying to tap into people's nostalgia and the successes of Guardians of the Galaxy and Stranger Things, but in totally random and arbitrary ways. It also had some of the worst and most obvious and unnatural looking CG effects I've seen in a movie since that super creepy, horrifying CG baby from the Twilight film(s).

It seems the marvel movies are suffering from the same thing that (as I understand) tends to happen in comics: Each one tries so hard to out-do the previous entries, with the characters and their enemies becoming even more powerful, until the stakes get raised so high it becomes increasingly bombastic and absurd.

The plot was so absurd, the battles were so over the top (in a Dragon Ball Z kind of way), and the terrible CG was so awfully jarring, that I found myself unable to care about much of anything that was going on. I could no longer suspend my disbelief, so I just had to try to enjoy the spectacle of it all without engaging the rational part of my brain at all. A bunch of people died, but none of it was of any consequence. There was an attempt at a noble sacrifice near the end, but even that played out to be more humorous than meaningful.

If you like the superhero movies, especially the Marvel ones, you'll probably enjoy Ragnarok.

I enjoyed it. It entertained me. Yet I'm not sure I would recommend it. Maybe if you go into it expecting it to be one of those so-stupid-it's-funny comedies like Napoleon Dynamite or Nacho Libre. I guess I could summarize it by saying that it was funny and entertaining, but it wasn't very good.

mouser:
I find the recent focus on constant humor jarring in these super heroes movies.. the same thing bugged me in the last star wars.. It seems like it is the way things these movies are made these days.. It's just too much, it takes me out of the movie.

wraith808:
It seems the marvel movies are suffering from the same thing that (as I understand) tends to happen in comics: Each one tries so hard to out-do the previous entries, with the characters and their enemies becoming even more powerful, until the stakes get raised so high it becomes increasingly bombastic and absurd.
-Deozaan (February 11, 2018, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seems that it was more the director, than the overall marvel movies, IMO.  It seems like it's more along the lines of Heavy Metal, which works if you know that going in, like I did (and many others as it's at 92% RT).  The only ones that were really humorous through and through were GotG 1 & 2 and Ant-Man.  GotG2 suffered for it- Ant-Man did not.

It seems to me that there is some fatigue with Superhero movies, but it's not necessarily as much as the fatigued would want it to be, and much like Pixar, people are waiting for the fall, so their predictions can be right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version