ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (155/182) > >>

wraith808:

Wonder (RT 84% as of posting)

I could tell from the commercials that I was likely to enjoy this movie, and after going, that's an understatement!  Owen Wilson was very understated in his role, Julia Roberts was excellent as always, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mandy Patinkin in it. 

But the star of the movie that really solidifies it is Jacob Tremblay.  I'm sure it was harder to emote under all of the makeup he was under, but you couldn't tell.  His eyes convey a lot, and just little motions and details- it wouldn't have been as solid without his performance.  A child actor that I'll be keeping my eyes on, and hope that he makes it out of childhood in Hollywood unscathed to realize his potential.

A real feel-good movie without being overbearing.  Definitely recommended.

IainB:
Well worth a watch. Hereafter:
(Text from sharpened image is in the spoiler below.)

SpoilerHereafter: (fictional drama)               
 The story hinges around the social conflict between the instinctive human fear of death (and reluctance to talk about it), and the desire to know what happens on and after death - in the hereafter - and how some people have experienced glimpses of the hereafter in NDE (Near Death Experience) and others can inexplicably sometimes communicate with those who have departed. The background to this is the love that people hold for each other in families and relationships.
Directed and produced by:   Clint Eastwood.
Main character:   Matt Damon plays George Lonegan, an unassuming American man, who is an incredibly gifted, but very reluctant, spiritual medium.
Leading actress:   Cécile de France plays Marie Lelay, a French woman, who is a prominent TV current affairs and news anchor and who has recently survived a tsunami (the film opens with the tsunami, which is an incredibly realistic computerised graphics effects sequence).
Other actors:   Several, who play important roles as people in the US, France and the UK, who are drawn together by circumstances which are all cleverly interwoven to make for a very plausible and heart-warming story.
Music:   1. "Piano Concerto #2"
   Written by Sergei Rachmaninoff

2. "Una Furtiva Lagrima" from "Le elisir D'amore''
   Written by Gaetano Donizetti
   Performed by Peter Dvorsky
   Courtesy of Cobra Entertainment LLC
   By arrangement with Source/Q

3. "La Fleur Que Tu M'avais Jetée" from "Carmen"
   Written by Georges Bizet
   Performed bv Marcello Giordani
   Courtesy of Naxos

4. "Nessun Dorma" from "Turandot"
   Written by Giacomo Puccini, Giuseppe Adami
   and Renato Simoni
   Performed by Tito Beltran
   Courtesy of Silva Screen

5. "Che Gelida Manina" from "La Boheme"
   Written by Giacomo Puccini
   Performed b\ Ihomas Harper
   Courtesy of Naxos

panzer:
The Dark Knight Rises

panzer:
Signal/Sigeuneol (TV series)

wraith808:

The Man who Invented Christmas (80% Rotten Tomatoes at time of posting)

Very interesting spin on Charles Dickens' experience writing A Christmas Carol.  I loved watching the writing process.  It could have been saccharine sweet, but the director was able to steer away from that, with the help of great performances by Dan Stevens and Christopher Plummer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version