ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (146/182) > >>

Deozaan:
Arrival (Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi). Loved it! :-*

"When twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, linguistics professor Louise Banks is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors."

For whatever reason some people don't seem to understand the movie, but it still made it (currently as #209) into IMDb's Top Rated Movies. Will watch it again some day for sure!

-brotherS (February 12, 2017, 09:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I watched this last week. It didn't go in the direction I thought it would go from watching the trailer. I was expecting a bit more action or, at the least, something along the lines of The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008). But it was more slow, thoughtful, and philosophical. It reminded me a lot of Contact (1997). When it was over, I wasn't sure what to think about it. Ultimately, I decided that I thought it was a decent movie. I'd recommend it to people who liked Contact.

panzer:
Taboo (series)
Deadwood (series)

nosh:
Color me stupid but I didn't care all that much for Arrival (great beginning, watchable throughout but it ultimately didn't pack the punch I was hoping for), however...  I quite enjoyed the less serious space-fluff Passengers. ;D

MilesAhead:
The TV series I am enjoying lately is the Korean show Chief Kim.  The characters are likable(except for the heavy of course) and it is done with good humor.  I am waiting for the finale, episode 13.  The actor who plays Chief Kim gives his take on why the show shot up in popularity here:
https://www.soompi.com/2017/02/13/namgoong-min-explains-chief-kim-popular/

Deozaan:
Color me stupid but I didn't care all that much for Arrival (great beginning, watchable throughout but it ultimately didn't pack the punch I was hoping for)
-nosh (March 06, 2017, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I found Arrival to be kind of forgettable. It's certainly not in a list of my favorite movies. As I said, I felt it was decent. I certainly don't regret watching it.

And maybe if you go into it expecting it to be more along the lines of Contact, you won't be left feeling disappointed with the lack of "oomph" in the movie.

But I think I'd be fine with living the rest of my life never thinking about it again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version