topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 546957 times)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately
« Reply #650 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Dead poet society

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #651 on: May 16, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Saw

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #652 on: May 16, 2016, 09:36 AM »
capt-am-civil-war.jpg

Captain America: Civil War

IMHO, the best marvel movie other than possibly Iron Man 1.  There are several good reviews, so I won't go into it again. ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #653 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45 AM »
They Look Like People
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4105970/

Very creepy low-budget indie horror flick.  Recommended if you like that kind of thing.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #654 on: May 20, 2016, 06:44 AM »
Pi: Probably one of the best Sci fi movies Ive ever seen.

I really liked that one, too!  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #655 on: May 20, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Pi: Probably one of the best Sci fi movies Ive ever seen.

I really liked that one, too!  :Thmbsup:

The editing in that flick was very cool.  When the genius takes the pills.. those scenes reminded me of Roberto Benigni in Johnny Stecchino.  Every time he mentioned his gangster rival he did this sequence where he slapped his legs and wiped his shoes.  It just seems to have the same rhythm to it.  Pi is one of the coolest.  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Movies I've seen lately - 1 Giant Leap: What About Me?
« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2016, 12:58 PM »
1 Giant Leap: What About Me?
I was talking with an ex-convict a while back, a Maori guy whom I occasionally met when we'd make a regular stop-off for a brief picnic at a park on our return from the "farmers' market" every Sunday. I would often be tucking into bananas and other fruit that we had bought, and would share with him. We'd usually discuss nothing in particular. One time though he mentioned this film and its music, and he said it was inspirational and that it had made him see life in a different way, and so I made a note of it. I got around to searching it up on the web tonight and found it and watched it online. It was a kind of documentary and probably a bit "once over lightly", but nevertheless I thought it well worth my watching, in retrospect. It reminded me of some philosophies - things I had already known, but had forgotten to think about lately - and it showed me some new aspects about these things, through the medium of music and video. Shades of the Deep Forest music and Paul Simon's work (Graceland) with S. African musicians. It was cleverly made, but maybe somewhat cynically commercial.

Director: Jamie Catto & Duncan Bridgeman | Producer: Jamie Catto & Duncan Bridgeman
Genre: Documentary | Produced In: 2008 | Story Teller's Country: United Kingdom
Tags:  Global, Health, Relationships, Spiritual Awareness

Synopsis: Through music and film, "1 Giant Leap" explores the universal complexities of human nature. Jamie Catto (Faithless co-founder) and Duncan Bridgeman set out on their journey recording musical jewels and words of wisdom with the cream of the world’s thinkers, writers and entertainers along the way. The duo traveled to the farthest corners of the planet, to ensure immense cultural diversity in this time capsule of humanity at its most inspirational.

Online video link: http://www.cultureun...-Leap--What-About-Me

DVDs described here: http://www.elsewhere...about-me-border-dvd/

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #657 on: July 06, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Caddyshack
Deadpool

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #658 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Sing Street

A boy growing up in Dublin during the 1980s escapes his strained family life by starting a band to impress the mysterious girl he likes.

I enjoyed this a lot -
coming of age in the eighties helped; having lived a year in Dublin in the mid-eighties helped; liking the music helped.
But none of the above necessary I'd say ;-)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #659 on: July 06, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Sing Street

A boy growing up in Dublin during the 1980s escapes his strained family life by starting a band to impress the mysterious girl he likes.

I enjoyed this a lot -
coming of age in the eighties helped; having lived a year in Dublin in the mid-eighties helped; liking the music helped.
But none of the above necessary I'd say ;-)

I always liked the coming of age genre.  Old English flicks with Rita Tushingham, Asian flicks such as All About Lilly Chow Chow, Drew Barrymoore's Far From Home, etc..

Life is the same old same old, but it is new to those just old enough to experience its joys and frustrations for the first time.  :)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2016, 08:46 AM »
October Sky

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #661 on: July 22, 2016, 12:10 PM »

I was surprised (nicely) by Zootopia, and even though the Secret Life of Pets was coming, I figured that Zootopia had it beat.  I was wrong.

Zootopia is a story about anthropomorphic animals in a city environment.  The Secret Life of Pets is about animals.  The latter is just funnier and more engaging, IMO.

Both are good and recommended, however.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #662 on: July 22, 2016, 12:41 PM »
(Nevermind.  For some reason I posted here instead of the books thread.  Must be a caffeine deficiency.  :)   )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:24 AM by MilesAhead »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #663 on: July 23, 2016, 12:00 AM »
The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn

Was that meant for this thread?

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #664 on: August 08, 2016, 09:08 PM »
I had a rather unique experience the other night, when I happened to find what I thought to be a perfectly 'normal' youtube copy of '13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi'; here. As the movie progressed, I discovered it had been mirror-reversed, which was fine with me. Then it dawned on me that everyone sounded hyper. The effect was so pronounced and yet at the same time so subtle, that it took me perhaps half the movie, maybe more, listening to everyone talk like caffeine addicts, to finally realize the film's playback had been sped up just a little bit. The men did not quite sound like they had inhaled helium, but the effect was eerily suggestive of it. The weird thing about it is, the speed-up is just enough so you notice it on a subliminal level, yet still close enough to normal speed as to fool your brain into accepting it as 'natural'.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:02 AM by holt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #665 on: August 09, 2016, 07:38 AM »
@Deozaan For some reason I can't get rid of multiple quotes if I quote your post.  So I will just answer:

Yes. I modified the post on July 22 to reflect as much.  Unfortunately there's no "delete post" button to just remove it.

Anyway, the book The Dark Fields has been renamed to "Limitless" to boost book sales.  Evidently the movie got better box office than expected.  So now I can just use "Limitless" and I'm covered for either thread.  :)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #666 on: October 13, 2016, 04:39 AM »
Inside out

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #667 on: November 22, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Dirty Harry 3

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #668 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34 PM »
@panzer do you have any opinion on or information about the movies you're listing? What are they about? Are they good? Do you recommend them?

Making lists for the sake of lists doesn't really contribute to the discussion. Can you at least provide a link to the film(s) on IMDB and perhaps some cover art?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #669 on: November 23, 2016, 03:51 AM »
@Deozaan ^^: Hey, don't knock it. Some comments would seem to demonstrate that other forum members occasionally see amongst @panzer's excessively loquacious posts references to films that are quite interesting or that they had not known of before and liked them, or something.

Similarly, though I haven't checked, I seem to recall that it might have been he that also authored some comments with references to great vids, on the short vids thread. Anyway, whoever it was, I blame them because it caused me to waste a great deal of time looking at videos when I could have probably been doing something more useful.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #670 on: December 12, 2016, 04:17 AM »
The Shawshank Redemption

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #671 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28 AM »
@Deozaan ^^: Hey, don't knock it. Some comments would seem to demonstrate that other forum members occasionally see amongst @panzer's excessively loquacious posts references to films that are quite interesting or that they had not known of before and liked them, or something.

Similarly, though I haven't checked, I seem to recall that it might have been he that also authored some comments with references to great vids, on the short vids thread. Anyway, whoever it was, I blame them because it caused me to waste a great deal of time looking at videos when I could have probably been doing something more useful.

I actually agree with Deo, just to give an alternate supporting view.  It might be interesting to get a better sample.  When I come here and it's just a name without a recommendation, I just skip.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2016, 08:57 AM »
Allied

If I had known it was a WWII flick I probably would have passed.  I've seen way to many WWII films and TV shows.  But fortunately it was the espionage angle rather than a bunch of battles.  Also it had Brad Pitt to carry it on his shoulders.

All in all I would say it is more a "chick flick."  However enough people are shot and blown up to keep guys happy.  :)

Spoiler
The main reason I designate it a chick flick is the focus given to Brad Pitt's daughter taking her first steps.  Less attention was awarded Neil Armstrong's Lunar Ladder escapade.  A bit much.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #673 on: December 12, 2016, 11:30 AM »
I was recently on two 20 hour flights- first time in business class, then on the way back in economy.  First leg, recommended.  Second leg, not so much.  But during the flight, they had an impressive number of films for free.

Pete's Dragon

Great movie, and the unusual great remake.

Independence Day: Resurgence

Not as good as the first, and not even so good as a sequel, but an Ok movie in and of itself if you gave it some other name.  Too much money grabby vibes and definitely manipulative in regards to the old characters.

Morgan

Interesting premise (corporate troubleshooter must decide if a project involving an artificially created life form should be terminated - and the subject also), and interesting moral implications (is the lifeform truly a human?  when does that happen?  what rights does 'it' truly have), but too self aware and, dare I say it, pretentious for my tastes.  I tried to get through it, but it just became bogged down in the less than stellar implementation of the concept.

Central Intelligence

It was better than I thought it would be, and I had to stifle laughter out of respect for fellow passengers more than once.  The premise is rather far fetched, but what else do you expect?  The humor gets rather low brow at times, but again, what do you expect?  But it was fun to watch.

Jason Bourne

It's nothing new, but a lot more of the same.  How long can one intelligence agency be after one person without getting lucky once?  Well done, stylish, and great action scenes.  Just nothing new nor surprising in terms of plot.  But I had fun watching it.

There's only so much new you can watch, especially as I was supposed to be sleeping at some point.  So watched some old movies also to make sure that I didn't have to pay attention, including: All three Captain America movies (hold up very well to re-watch), Warrior (one of my favorite movies), Thor, both Avengers (still say the second one is a good movie), Ant-Man (great heist caper) and Guardians of the Galaxy (can't go wrong with that one).

There was one more new movie that I watched, but I can't even remember what it was, it was that bland.  I'll post it up if I remember.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #674 on: December 12, 2016, 06:43 PM »

Morgan

Interesting premise (corporate troubleshooter must decide if a project involving an artificially created life form should be terminated - and the subject also), and interesting moral implications (is the lifeform truly a human?  when does that happen?  what rights does 'it' truly have), but too self aware and, dare I say it, pretentious for my tastes.  I tried to get through it, but it just became bogged down in the less than stellar implementation of the concept.

I found it similar to Ex Machina ... I'm sure there'll be at least another 4 or 5 movies on the same premise in the pipeline since they'll all want to jump on the bandwagon.

Watched Spectral, kind of typical canned film with someone managing to create cutting edge weaponry from boxes of, essentially, a mish-mash of junk and working stuff that just 'happens' to be available.

MV5BM2Y3OTUzMjItYjdlYS00MWYyLTgwNzktMDdmM2JiNmEyZmE2L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1MDAwNzU@._V1_.jpg

IMDB storyline (which is, quite frankly, wrong - echoes of F.E.A.R.w anyone?):
A sci-fi/thriller story centered on a special-ops team that is dispatched to fight supernatural beings.

Let down by the inevitable "you can see how it's going to end" 10 minutes into the film, IMDB rating of 6.5 is way too high, probably just an indication of how low expectations are these days.

Still I found it quite an enjoyable lightweight movie that caused brain shutdown for awhile  :D