ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (116/182) > >>

MilesAhead:
Watched this excellent free movie online on YouTube, a couple of nights back: "41" (2012)
- Full Movie - 1080p - Time Travel Film PG13
-IainB (October 14, 2015, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I finally got to it.  Like Primer it figured out a way to avoid spending on special effects.  But Primer was more fun for techies.  You had to watch it a few times to pick up the conversation and the references to the physics involved etc..

In this flick the hole to the past is just there.

SpoilerNot to give the plot away, I was a bit disappointed that the resolution turned out to be that one copy of the protagonist was satisfied to sacrifice his own life experience to make sure another copy of himself found happiness.  It seems a bit unlikely as who just volunteers to live a crummy life just so his twin brother can have it made in the shade?  But Time Travel stuff is always interesting.

IainB:
But that was the "What if?".
What if:

* You were going to kill your own girlfriend;
* You could only go back in time;
* You couldn't fix it for yourself (too many impossible anomalies);
* But you maybe could fix it for yourself in another, separate time-stream?
The hero was smart enough to seek the advice of other thinkers/scientists and, despite his efforts to the contrary, he realised that it was an impossible objective to fix it for himself. So he changed the objective and worked within the constraints of inter-dimensional time-travel.
I thought that was pretty nifty SF.

MilesAhead:
But that was the "What if?".
What if:

* You were going to kill your own girlfriend;
* You could only go back in time;
* You couldn't fix it for yourself (too many impossible anomalies);
* But you maybe could fix it for yourself in another, separate time-stream?
The hero was smart enough to seek the advice of other thinkers/scientists and, despite his efforts to the contrary, he realised that it was an impossible objective to fix it for himself. So he changed the objective and worked within the constraints of inter-dimensional time-travel.
I thought that was pretty nifty SF.
-IainB (October 23, 2015, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

To me someone who went to all that effort, like never sleeping in how many hours while ducking under the floorboard again and again to go back in time 12 hours at a time, would at least have tried one or two things rather than just accepting the limitation of time travel direction.  For example, he never even tries lying under the floor face down to see if that moves him in the opposite direction.

Also what happens to all these twins he has flying around?  Do they create a softball team of clones?  Like Joe Shmoe playing all 9 positions and managing versus the high school girl's softball team?  :)

Renegade:
OH MY FREAKING CRIPES ALMIGHTY~!

This is just 1,000,000 degrees of awesomeness~!

It's got:

* 9/11
* Conspiracies
* Back to the Future (the movie)
* Funky wildness
* "Concentrating collective consciousness onto a single space-time focal point" (Just how friggin' awesome is that???)
* And so much MOAR~!
And it's in the friggin' WASHINGTON POST!!!

At under 13 minutes (11 minutes after the credits), this is going to be one of the best/wonkiest films you've seen in forever!

I've got $5 in DC credits for anyone* that watches it and isn't one of:

* Entertained
* Freaked out a bit
* Saying to themselves, "WTF did I just watch???"
(* Must have >50 posts and have posted in this thread before. Max 4 people.)

And that's why the wonky, freaky stuff always has a place~! :P ;D

Renegade:
Ok... So I go outside for a smoke, and I trip across this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34615532/love-and-sex-with-robots-conference-cancelled-in-malaysia

Love and Sex with Robots conference cancelled in Malaysia

The Love and Sex with Robots conference due to be held in Malaysia has been cancelled by police for being "illegal".

The annual event, which was supposed to go ahead on 16 November, was called "ridiculous" by police chief Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.

There was "nothing scientific about having sex with machines," he said.

An apology has since been posted on the event organiser's website, loveandsexwithrobots.org.

It said the cancellation was because of "circumstances beyond our control.

"The conference will definitely not be held anywhere in Malaysia.

"We deeply apologise to any person or any authority which has felt offence in any way," a statement said.
--- End quote ---

More at the link.

But did I call it or what???

Cherry 2000 is about technology, human sexuality, freewill, and companionship. Lots for people to lose their minds over in that film. But nobody is losing their minds and freaking out in this thread.
-Renegade (October 22, 2015, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

:P

You don't get to have art and have it divorced from politics or social issues. That's what good art is about -- something to make you think.

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version