ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (87/182) > >>

superboyac:
Well, just came from a pre-release showing of 'The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies'. 
 (see attachment in previous post)
Though I long ago abandoned any hope that Peter Jackson and company would follow the books in any semblance of exactivity (and who's to say the movies would have been better for it if they had?), but I was not disappointed.  If you're a Tolkien fan and have already seen the others, don't miss this one, it's just as good (or, if you're not a fan, just as bad) as the previous installments. 'Nuff said.

Not in 3D, but it was free because my son's orthodontist does a "customer appreciation" event every year where he rents out the entire theater and only customers/patients and family can go to see the latest hit.  Call me a cheap date if you will, but hey, I got to go to a movie with my wife (looooong overdue), and my son thoroughly enjoyed it.
 :Thmbsup:
-Edvard (December 16, 2014, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
I saw this yesterday.  I don't know what to say.  I feel like I've graduated from something.  What is this, 18 hours of Peter Jackson's Tolkien?  What a journey, I was still in college when I saw (and got excited) for the first LOTR trailer.  Damn.  It actually bookends my entire career so far.  Time flies...even the elves have aged noticeably.

MilesAhead:
I was still in college when I saw (and got excited) for the first LOTR trailer.  Damn.  It actually bookends my entire career so far.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

It seemed to take forever to get a decent version.  When I finally watched the trilogy it was like some burden had been removed(like maybe throwing a ring into Mount Doom?)  Now I feel like I can ignore LOTR stuff for the duration.  :)

The analogous situation was the Atlas Shrugged movie part I.  Except in this case I have no desire to see the remaining installments.  Talk about a lackluster rendition of the story!  It was like someone traversed a checklist of everything that had to be there, with no feeling about any one item in particular.  What a waste.  I watched the entire flick waiting for something to happen.  Nothing did.  :(

superboyac:
I was still in college when I saw (and got excited) for the first LOTR trailer.  Damn.  It actually bookends my entire career so far.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

It seemed to take forever to get a decent version.  When I finally watched the trilogy it was like some burden had been removed(like maybe throwing a ring into Mount Doom?)  Now I feel like I can ignore LOTR stuff for the duration.  :)

The analogous situation was the Atlas Shrugged movie part I.  Except in this case I have no desire to see the remaining installments.  Talk about a lackluster rendition of the story!  It was like someone traversed a checklist of everything that had to be there, with no feeling about any one item in particular.  What a waste.  I watched the entire flick waiting for something to happen.  Nothing did.  :(

-MilesAhead (December 29, 2014, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D that's almost word for word what i said as i was walking out of the theater!

MilesAhead:
;D that's almost word for word what i said as i was walking out of the theater!
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

Great minds think alike.  :)

40hz:

Finally finished seeing Peter Jackson's Hobbit. Which it really should have been called. Because that whole overblown three-part farrago most definitely was not JRR Tolkein's Hobbit. Jackson got it flat wrong in so many ways, and on so many levels, that I don't know where to begin.

So I won't.  :P

Kudos to Martin Freeman for putting what little was worth watching into the picture(s). And also to Ian McKellen and Benedict Cumberbatch. (I was a little disappointed with Smaug however. While Mr. Cumberbatch's vocal talent and timing was superb, the Smaug character itself was a little too one-dimensional and predictable. I kept hoping for just a little more.)

Still, nice to see Evangeline Lilly and Cate Blanchett. They provided some very welcome bits of eye candy, even if there really was little other reason (or no reason at all in the case of Turiel) for either of them to be in the story.

I'm a big Tolkein fan. But, as far as this picture goes, I'm completely with Miles and Superboy. Coming out of the theater, all I really felt was relief. As my GF said: "Well...that's over."

------------------------

Note: is it just me, or does it seem to take an interminable amount of time for major characters to die in Peter Jackson movies? I thought the glacially slo-mo "death of Boromir" sequence in LOTR set a new record. (Contrast that with the very brief destruction of Sauron and the fall of Barad-Dur scene! Talk about 'fall down, go boom!' Could that have been any shorter?)

But now along comes Jackson's The Hobbit...where I almost wanted to shout: "Ok! Pathos! We get it! Now would you just die already so we can get on with the rest of this picture?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version