topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 547005 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies or films you've seen lately
« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland.jpg

I've been watching this a few times lately as I play it for my daughter.

And I must confess, I'm a bit of a freak for Lewis Carroll's Alice stories. They're simply brilliant.

This is always worth watching again every now and then. It never gets tired or worn or old.

My guess is that most people here have seen it at least once. I suppose I'm just posting as a silly reminder about how much fun it is.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Regarding Entity, one complaint...

The sound guys.

Creepy sound effects 20~30 dB above the speaking level doesn't work well. We actually want to hear what the people say.

Agree 100%. There were several times when I wished I could switch on subtitles. ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Alice in Wonderland
 (see attachment in previous post)
I've been watching this a few times lately as I play it for my daughter.

And I must confess, I'm a bit of a freak for Lewis Carroll's Alice stories. They're simply brilliant.

This is always worth watching again every now and then. It never gets tired or worn or old.

My guess is that most people here have seen it at least once. I suppose I'm just posting as a silly reminder about how much fun it is.

That one is in my collection. And Alice is good enough that even a Disney adaptation didn't hurt it.

sb2.pngMovies you've seen lately

When she gets a little older try reading her Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno books. In addition to being a multi-level children and adult story, it's also one told using multiple realities. (Available from Project Gutenberg btw.)

more on that here
(excerpted form a longer essay which can be found here)

Alice, unlike other Victorian child protagonists, is critical, defiant, and self-assertive. She is the only one to stand up to the arbitrary and domineering Queen. "The underlying message of Alice, then, is a rejection of adult authority, a vindication of the rights of the child."<11> This, not its nonsense, is the truly subversive element in the Alices.

Nearly a quarter century later, in the two volumes of Sylvie and Bruno (Sylvie and Bruno was first published in 1889, Sylvie and Bruno Concluded in 1893) Carroll launched an attack on the Victorian novel that was perhaps even more subversive. Gathering together diverse materials to include in them, Carroll called the result "litterature," and he challenged the reader to identify the "padding" in the stories. "Victorian novels," as Gattegno observes, "would never dream of describing themselves in this ironic and even sacrilegious way."<12> Nor would most Victorian writers dare to begin as Carroll does, in midsentence: "--and then all the people cheered again" (a device Joyce picked up for the opening of Finnegans Wake). Carroll introduces self-reflexive mannerisms that anticipate Joyce, Queneau, Beckett, and the whole line of artifice-oriented modern writing. For example, when the narrator first encounters Lady Muriel, he reflects: "And this, of course, is the opening scene of Vol. 1. She is the Heroine. And I am one of those subordinate characters that only turn up when needed for the development of her destiny."

But the most radical element of the novel is its simultaneous, separate, yet mysteriously corresponding plots, which take place in separate planes of reality that shift with dizzying abruptness, as Anne Clark explains:

Dodgson hinges his story on an intricately worked-out series of hypotheses. First, that besides the world in which we live there exist two others: its counterpart, called Outland, whose society is a kind of burlesque of the real world, and Fairyland as we all understand it. Second, that human beings, unseen and in a state of trance, may observe people and events in Outland, and that in another state, which Dodgson describes as "eerie," they may participate in adventures in Fairyland, without losing consciousness of events in the real world. Thirdly, time may reverse or stand still, and fairies may assume human form. The links between Outland and the real world are the narrator, who passes back and forth between the two, and Sylvie and Bruno, alternately appearing in fairy form or as human children.<13>

The main story lines of the novels concern an attempt by the warden of Outland to usurp the birthright of the fairy children Sylvie and Bruno, and the rivalry of Captain Eric Linden and Dr. Arthur Forester for Lady Muriel Orme, in the English town of Elveston. The first plot has the form of a folktale, the second the form of a romance, but Carroll quickly undermines ordinary expectations of these genres. Characters on one level suddenly transform into equivalent, yet distinct, characters on another level: indeed, the very nature of character is challenged, as Carroll explores the borderline between dreaming and waking, probing the limits of language and logic.

Flat out brilliant even if not as humorous or zaney as the Alice adventures.

Funny thing...I've found many adults are stumped or just "don't get" Sylvie and Bruno. But when I read it to my niece when she was 5, she instantly caught on to what was going on and could follow it. She even corrected me at one point when I got confused and pointed out that a character was only dreaming the Fairyland - and wasn't fully in it at that point.

sandb.jpg
Sylvie clung to one arm; while Bruno, on the opposite side,
was pushing him with all his strength, with many inarticulate
cries of  “Gee-up! Gee-back!

That's my niece! Zen master from birth, and a natural shaman if there ever was one. ;D

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:28 PM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2014, 01:08 PM »
@40hz: Now that is interesting. Thanks.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Somebody has compiled a list of underrated sci-fi flicks:

Underrated Sci-Fi Films of the 2010's (So Far)

http://www.imdb.com/...3651?ref_=ttpl_rls_5

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: June 13, 2014, 09:29 AM »
When she gets a little older try reading her Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno books. In addition to being a multi-level children and adult story, it's also one told using multiple realities. (Available from Project Gutenberg btw.)

I've not actually read that before, and I have The Complete Lewis Carroll. I'll certainly need to get my butt in gear. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2014, 01:44 AM »
The Host

The host.jpg

At almost 2 hours long, it is long, but by no means drawn out. They use those 2 hours very well.

If you like sci-fi, chances are you'll love this.

The story has quite few nice plot devices meshed nicely together. The "host" aspect of the plot is done well and the story plays out nicely.

There are few special effects, but many aren't needed - the story is good enough on its own.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2014, 04:48 AM »
The Illusionist (2010 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Super little French-English animated film. Watched it with my 12½ y/o daughter (but was tired and fell asleep, so had to watch the rest later). I came across it in the "International" section in the video rental store, but she chose it as she had seen clips of it on YouTube and in searching up the art used in the film thought it would be worth watching.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: June 14, 2014, 04:56 AM »
^looks good:

beautifully drawn *and* beautiful colouring
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: June 14, 2014, 12:10 PM »
The Cloud Atlas.
A not bad at all adaptation of the David Mitchell novel by the same name. A quantum metaphysical romp through several centuries of linked souls and events. Some remarkably good performances by Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, and especially Korean actress Doona Bae for her portrayal of a clone by the name of Sonmi-451.
 (see attachment in previous post)      (see attachment in previous post)      (see attachment in previous post)
One fun thing about this movie is that almost every actor plays several (as in three to seven) different roles - so it's a fun game to try to identify who is playing whom in the various storylines. Some of them will surprise you when the credits roll.

@40hz... that was a horrible intro to that film... Some good description, but you left me entirely unprepared for it. Perhaps that was a good thing...

I just finished watching it...

You've massively understated what this film is.

This is a brilliant film, but not one that you can casually just "absorb".

If you're going to watch this, plan it. Make some popcorn. Have ice & drinks ready. This film is an event. Pay attention, and enjoy it.

This is more than just a film. This is an adventure.

I think that I need to watch this again.

Don't get into this film with any expectations. Just let it unfold and take you where it goes. You'll enjoy the ride. It's spectacular.

40hz has given a bit of description there, but it's completely inadequate to describe what this is. Pure brilliance.

But pay attention. This isn't a film that you can drift in and out of as easily as so many others.

This film is full of love, hate, beauty, violence, hope, dreams, evil, redemption, vengeance, and so much more.

THIS is a work of art.

I won't pretend to have any interpretation of this. But I will attest to its wonder and beauty.

tl;dr - WOW!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2014, 12:41 PM »
@40hz... that was a horrible intro to that film... Some good description, but you left me entirely unprepared for it. Perhaps that was a good thing...

40hz has given a bit of description there, but it's completely inadequate to describe what this is.

Um...wasn't it you who said never tell you too much or show you trailers?

Well...we aims to please. :P ;D

(So... are you in love with Ms. Doona Bae's character Sonmi-451 yet? ;) )

db.jpg
"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others.
Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."

This is more than just a film. This is an adventure.

I think that I need to watch this again.

I think I'm on my sixth or possibly seventh pass through it already. And I'll probably continue to watch it until I've got the entire thing committed to memory. Or at least for as long as I can handle the heartache I feel every time I see it. The only other brilliant (good choice of word!) films I've viewed this many times are The Usual Suspects, Amelie and Mamoru Oshii's Avalon - and those provide nowhere near the level of experience Cloud Atlas offers. 8)

All I can say is: See it! :Thmbsup:

CA1.jpgMovies you've seen lately  ca2.jpgMovies you've seen lately  ca3.jpgMovies you've seen lately  ca4.jpgMovies you've seen lately  ca5.jpgMovies you've seen lately

------------------------------

Note: by "not bad adaptation" I meant it doesn't exactly mirror the book. But I don't see that as an automatic negative. Some films do suffer by comparison to their origins. Some films, however, are better than their books. Chocolat and Big Fish being two examples that immediately come to mind. But that's me. :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:10 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27 PM »

40hz has given a bit of description there, but it's completely inadequate to describe what this is.

Um...wasn't it you who said never tell you too much or show you trailers?

Well...we aims to please. :P ;D

Hahaha! Yes - going in blind is often a wonderful thing. But I figured that it was just some sort of regular film. Boy, was I mistaken.

Regarding Sonmi-451... incredible performance there. Sonmi-451 is simply adorable, and... I don't want to say anymore about her as I might semi-ruin part of the movie for someone.

Note: by "not bad adaptation" I meant it doesn't exactly mirror the book. But I don't see that as an automatic negative. Some films do suffer by comparison to their origins.

I think that threw me as I expected the film to be a poor version of the book, and further expected a mediocre film.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2014, 03:22 PM »
The Host
At almost 2 hours long, it is long, but by no means drawn out. They use those 2 hours very well.

Count me out, much prefer the Korean version: The Host

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #313 on: June 23, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Speaking of Asian Horror/Monster movies.. the first Tomey features Kanno Miho in the lead.

It's more creepy than scary.  Good fun flick.  I think in the sequels KM is only shown via clips from the first film.  But I may be mistaken.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Walk of shame: Entertaining (albeit predictable) comedy about a goody-two-shoes anchor lady getting into trouble just before being interviewed for promotion to a bigger network.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57 PM »
The Host

The stories are totally different - same title, but not the same story.

I did see the Korean one, but I didn't know that it was also put out in English.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2014, 01:20 PM »
The Host

The stories are totally different - same title, but not the same story.

I did see the Korean one, but I didn't know that it was also put out in English.

Must remember to use more emoticons.

In order:
I know they're different, (only watched about 10 minutes of the one you mention before I gave up on it).
The Korean film doesn't come in English language, which would completely ruin it as has English dubs done to countless previous films.

:)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2014, 02:54 PM »
The Korean film doesn't come in English language, which would completely ruin it as has English dubs done to countless previous films.

I'm with you there.  The only time I prefer a dub is when it's part of making a farce funnier.  Not only dubbing but I can't understand why they butcher some films during the American release edit.  I think I bought 3 DVD versions of Shaolin Soccer before I got the good 112 minute version.  The other American edits cut out the part about Gold Leg throwing the match.  Which is only the impetus for the entire plot.  :(

Thankfully the BluRay version was the good cut.  That has to be my favorite Stephen Chow film.

The Asian martial arts flick where the American release was actually better was Black Mask.  The hip hop sound track made the flick more exciting.

Not many American movie buffs are into Lau Ching-wan.  He played the police Sargent Rock in Mask.  But he is the lead in many Hong Kong flicks.  But I digress..  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: June 26, 2014, 08:14 AM »
Agree. I generally dislike dubs. I'll take subtitling any day.

Especially for animations. There's often some low key censorship when doing English dubs on that. Possibly because these distribution morons think all animated features are intended "for children" and are afraid of running afoul of the self-proclaimed "Mama Bears" (don't even get me started on those people!) and that dismal fourth specter Ebenezer Scrooge didn't mention, who was called: The Ghost of Political Correctness. Or 'Hypocrisy' if you prefer its nickname. 

So skip the dubs - gimme subs. :Thmbsup:

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2014, 03:33 AM »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Let's Make Money:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=NETxzILPokw

Oooh! I'll have to check that out! And on topic there...

James Corbett of The Corbett Report has finally released a documentary he's been promising for a long time:

Century of Enslavement: The History of The Federal Reserve <-- Web page with transcript & references.

I've not seen it yet, but have finished downloading it. Been looking forward to it for a while now.

James always has truckloads of references that he posts for everything.

NSFW?
James Corbett produced a very short film a while back that's probably one of the funniest commentaries I've ever seen.

http://www.corbettre...a-conspiracy-theory/

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=yuC_4mGTs98

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Century of Enslavement: The History of The Federal Reserve <-- Web page with transcript & references.

Finished watching. :)

A lot of stuff I knew, and a few things I didn't.

I did see how he got the title though in there... (Partial screenshot)

Screenshot - 2014_07_07 , 11_48_08 PM.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Just saw Blue Ruin, a great thriller about revenge.

blueruin.jpg

[EDIT: Don't read the blurbs or watch the trailers, go into it knowing nothing]

Highly recommended low-budget low-key movie.  No real twists or surprise endings, just a slow, steady, satisfying burn.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22 AM »
[EDIT: Don't read the blurbs or watch the trailers, go into it knowing nothing]

That's the best way to see any movie!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

I can't count how many flicks I've seen totally "blind" and just loved them.

Highly recommended low-budget low-key movie.  No real twists or surprise endings, just a slow, steady, satisfying burn.

Hahaha! Sounds good!

For another low-budget flick, check out "Hunter Prey" (2009). Totally a B movie, but has a decent story. Sci-fi stuff.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Elysium

elysium.jpg

In the year 2154, the very wealthy live on a man-made space station while the rest of the population resides on a ruined Earth. A man takes on a mission that could bring equality to the polarized worlds.

This was totally not what I was expecting when I started watching it- and it was a great movie.  The visual story telling is awesome.  The story falls down at times with inconsistencies and improbabilities, and the characters could have used a bit more development.  But it's a great movie and I'd recommend it, and don't want to give anything else away with any of my takes on the movie.  By Neill Blomkamp, it's not as good as District 9, but pretty darned close.

Repo Men

repomen.jpg

In the future humans have extended and improved our lives through highly sophisticated and expensive mechanical organs created by a company called "The Union". The dark side of these medical breakthroughs is that if you don't pay your bill, "The Union" sends its highly skilled repo men to take back its property... with no concern for your comfort or survival. Former soldier Remy is one of the best organ repo men in the business. But when he suffers a cardiac failure on the job, he awakens to find himself fitted with the company's top-of-the-line heart-replacement... as well as a hefty debt. But a side effect of the procedure is that his heart's no longer in the job. When he can't make the payments, The Union sends its toughest enforcer, Remy's former partner Jake, to track him down.

Disturbing and thought provoking- and not necessarily for the movie itself at times, but the implications for us and our medical debt system, this violent romp is really good, but like many movies, falls short of classic in a bit of a slip up in the last act.  Still, very good- both in the visual storytelling and the story, though it could have used a bit more character development, Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker really sell what they're given.

... Just noticed that Alice Braga is in both.  And... is one of the things that brings both of them down.