ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (57/182) > >>

Renegade:
I tried to get through it on three separate occasions. My GF and I both fell asleep each time.
-40hz (May 29, 2014, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're lucky... I think I read about a few suicides of people trying to watch it more than once... ;)

40hz:
I tried to get through it on three separate occasions. My GF and I both fell asleep each time.
--- End quote ---

You're lucky... I think I read about a few suicides of people trying to watch it more than once... ;)
-Renegade (May 29, 2014, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank goodness it wasn't an updated version of Polydeus. :tellme:

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (May 29, 2014, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank goodness it wasn't an updated version of Polydeus. :tellme:
-40hz (May 29, 2014, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

At least that was short. (And a lot better.)

This is short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHttM2pzWPY

And funny! :) In a dark way...

Edvard:
I watched Maleficent yesterday.  I have to say I quite liked it.  Not the best movie I've ever seen, but not half bad, better than most folk story "re-tellings" I've seen.  Angelina Jolie does a laudable job as Maleficent, and fits the character as she creates.  I would have liked to have seen more character development of King Stefan, as he has a fairly big role without a whole lot of support.  Also insert your standard complaints about CG ruining good filmmaking, etc.  Not the worst I've seen, though.  Any more said, and I'd be spoiling it.  Go see it if you have nothing else to do, and the PG-age children in your life are up for some decent theater entertainment.

wraith808:
Sam Greenlee just died... and in honor of that, I looked around for The Spook Who Sat By The Door.

Movies you've seen lately

Based on Sam Greenlee's controversial novel, THE SPOOK WHO SAT BY THE DOOR is a hard-hitting shocker that depicts a world in which the long-suppressed black man fights back with a vengeance. Director Ivan Dixon's uncompromising adaptation was relegated to bottom-rung status upon its release, and it subsequently slipped into oblivion for decades until the film was rediscovered and released on DVD in 2004. Lawrence Cook plays Dan Freeman, a head-nodding, smiling African-American who impresses his CIA cohorts with his winning demeanor. What they don't realize is that Freeman's friendly facade is nothing more than a mask for a deep seated hatred of white people. When he returns to his Chicago hometown, Freeman uses his newly acquired knowledge to organize an underground militant movement that revolts against the very army that trained him.

Dixon's matter-of-fact approach to the material makes the film an even more powerful experience. It also manages to transcend the Blaxploitation genre by making a broader statement about the devastating effects of death and war. Featuring an impassioned performance from Cook (COLORS, POSSE), THE SPOOK WHO SAT BY THE DOOR is a frightening, but important, cautionary tale.

--- End quote ---

A must see and read in my opinion (the book is titled the same as the movie).

Available on Youtube also:

“The Spook Who Sat by the Door,” directed by Ivan Dixon and starring Lawrence Cook — with a score by Herbie Hancock, an old Chicago friend of Mr. Greenlee — was selected in 2012 for inclusion in the National Film Registry, a catalog of American movies of “enduring cultural or historical significance.” In a citation accompanying the announcement, the Library said that the film reflected a dimension of “who we are as a nation.”

After a successful three-week run in the fall of 1973 in Chicago and several other cities, the film disappeared from movie theaters, presumably because of its subject matter. The distributor, United Artists, never offered an explanation. Mr. Greenlee said that several theater owners had told him they were contacted by men who identified themselves as F.B.I. agents and ordered them to stop showing the film. The F.B.I. never addressed that accusation.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version