ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (49/182) > >>

4wd:
(see attachment in previous post)
-Josh (November 19, 2013, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now there's a blast from the past ... haven't seen that for a while.

Meanwhile ... one of the strangest films I've seen in a long while: Outpost 11

Set in an alternative past where steam power still rules the world, Outpost 11 is the story of three soldiers manning a remote listening post in the Arctic Circle. One day the warning light goes off unexpectedly and their world is plunged in to chaos.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
This evening, The Europa Report.

Movies you've seen lately

In the not too distant future, a corporate sponsored space mission is dispatched to Europa to examine a certain surface anomaly characterized as a "hot spot chaos area" which scientists believe holds the greatest opportunity for discovering extraterrestrial life. The mission departs Earth and arrives in Jupiter orbit 21 months later. Shortly after its arrival, all communication with the team is lost due to a series of solar flares disrupting the audio/video feeds being sent back their mission control. It is only later that a delayed transmission documenting the mission arrives back at Earth which allows investigators to reconstruct what happened.

It's an interesting riff on the "found footage" mystery theme, but with a solid and believable storyline, exceptionally well done low-key acting, and good solid science throughout. Real life space research organizations such as NASA, the JPL and SpaceX are among those credited with assisting the producers and writers of  this film which, no doubt, added to this picture's high level of realism.

Bottom line: a well crafted 'hard science' fiction movie, with just a hint of mystery - and pleasantly skipping the needless and obvious moral lessons and speeches that seem to get wedged into most scifi films these days. If you like believable scifi movies like the vastly underrated 2000 film Red Planet or that 1972 sleeper Silent Running, you'll love this flick.

One of the best bits of scifi I've seen all year. Recommended! :Thmbsup:

4wd:
This evening, The Europa Report.-40hz (November 24, 2013, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

You may like The Last Days On Mars - lots of similarities to Europa Report, Alien, Creature, Doctor Who's The Waters of Mars, and quite a few more but I found it to be a good film in it's own right.

A group of astronaut explorers succumb one by one to a mysterious and terrifying force while collecting specimens on Mars.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
^Sounds good. Added it to my watch list. Thx! :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
It's a Wonderful Life

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Wonderful_Life

Watched it for the first time after hearing David Knight give a short explanation on some bits of the film. Fantastic film. I can see why it's a classic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version