ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (29/182) > >>

wraith808:
What the hell. Why not Uwe Boll. He can turn any movie into a horror story.

Sorry, I forgot that's horrible not horror. My mistake.
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG... I'm just hoping that Uwe Boll never gets another cent to make a movie.  I swear, he must have some really good dirt on someone to get the names and the money and the rights to continue to slaughter movies.

40hz:
What the hell. Why not Uwe Boll. He can turn any movie into a horror story.

Sorry, I forgot that's horrible not horror. My mistake.
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG... I'm just hoping that Uwe Boll never gets another cent to make a movie.  I swear, he must have some really good dirt on someone to get the names and the money and the rights to continue to slaughter movies.
-wraith808 (August 04, 2013, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. Just a clever business model. According to Wikipedia:

Boll's movies have often performed poorly at the box office in the United States. House of the Dead, which was budgeted at $12 million, made $5.73 million in its opening weekend,[6] Alone in the Dark, which was budgeted at $20 million, made $5.1 million,[7] and BloodRayne, which was made for $25 million, made $2.42 million.[8] The least profitable commercial performance of his career was In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, which made barely $10 million worldwide at the box office on a $60 million budget.

Until the law was changed in 2005, Boll was able to acquire funding for his movies thanks to German tax laws that reward investments in film. The law allowed investors in German-owned films to write off 100% of their investment as a tax deduction; it also allowed them to invest borrowed money and write off any fees associated with the loan. The investor was then only required to pay taxes on the profits made by the movie; if the movie loses money, the investor would get a tax writeoff.[citation needed]

In the DVD commentary of Alone in the Dark, Boll explains how he funds his films: "Maybe you know it but it's not so easy to finance movies in total. And the reason I am able to do these kind of movies is I have a tax shelter fund in Germany, and if you invest in a movie in Germany you get basically fifty percent back from the government."

Boll has received a lot of negative publicity regarding this funding method.[9]
--- End quote ---

More details on how it works then and now can be found here.

Speaking as a person with a degree in accounting (yes, there really are such people!) it's actually pretty fascinating how this all works. Learn something new every day! :-\

wraith808:
But what I don't get is his cast.  Everyone knows who Uwe Boll is and what kind of movies he makes.  But they still sign up for it... do they need the paycheck that bad?!?

And I'm not talking the bit people... he gets some pretty big names, and drags them along with him.

Vurbal:
But what I don't get is his cast.  Everyone knows who Uwe Boll is and what kind of movies he makes.  But they still sign up for it... do they need the paycheck that bad?!?

And I'm not talking the bit people... he gets some pretty big names, and drags them along with him.
-wraith808 (August 04, 2013, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Some of them baffle me. Others not so much. I think the best answer I've ever heard to a question like that was when some bobble head entertainment "reporter" asked Ice-T why he agreed to be in the brilliant satirical farce Leprechaun In The Hood. It was a farce, right?

Anyway his answer went something like, Who am I to turn down [$whatever] to be in a movie?

Shades:
The last Uwe Boll movie I saw, was titled: Attack on Wallstreet  and I must say that is wasn't that bad, story-wise or in the acting. Actually, I liked the end-scene...for a "Boll" it was rather clever.

And if you must know, I did see quite a lot of Uwe Boll movies...mainly because I want to see how bad a game-concept can be tortured.

Having said that, I did like some of the jokes in the movie Postal, where he also features as an actor and makes jokes about his movies being financed with Nazi-gold...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version