ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (22/182) > >>

Renegade:
Here's a prediction... A DC comics movie about the Flash. Involves time travel. Sometime in the next 2 years.
-Renegade (August 03, 2013, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if that qualifies as a prediction since they've already said it, and it's in production slated for 2016. :P

They're trying to follow marvel's successful path, i.e. phase 1 to intro characters, group movie, phase to to develop those and more, group movie 2, phase three introduces more... ad infinitum.
-wraith808 (August 03, 2013, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dang. Didn't know that. And I was off by a year.

What I have noticed is that the studios produce relatively cheap animated feature-length films, then shortly after the same basic theme is produced as a major motion picture. I saw that there was a Flash animated film, and hence, the prediction.

40hz:
Ok...my quest for some quality H.P. Lovecraft stories or themed movies continues.

Just saw Pickman's Muse, a 2009 Lovecraft Festival Brown Jenkin Award winner.

Movies you've seen lately

I'm not quite sure what to make of this indie budget film. It contains several Lovecraftian elements and seems to want to combine a tiny bit of the story Pickman's Model with the one of Lovecraft's better short stories The Haunter of the Dark. Toss in some token allusions about possession, plus a brutal serial killer for a little modern vibe, and this is what you get. Not bad. But not good either.

On the positive side, the acting is acceptable. And it's a visually well crafted flick. In fact, the cinematography is actually quite stunning in several places. Remarkable for a small budget production like this one.

But it's a very slow moving picture (not necessarily a bad thing in itself) without much dialog or character development. And that's probably because this movie feels like it's a half hour short film that was stretched to last 75 minutes - probably in the hopes it would see some art house showings rather than go straight to DVD.

Might be worth a watch if you're into it - and not expecting too much.

Renegade:
Ok...my quest for some quality H.P. Lovecraft stories or themed movies continues.
-40hz (August 03, 2013, 11:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lovecraft is difficult to get right in a film. Half the horror is simply not knowing, and film exposes a lot.

But if anyone wants to compile a list of good Lovecraftian films, I'm all eyes.  :Thmbsup:

Vurbal:
I'm still desparately clinging to the delusion Guillermo Del Toro will get to make At The Mountains Of Madness. I think he could get it right. Hellboy clearly showed he's a real fan.

Renegade:
"Memory" by Lovecraft would make a wonderful short film. I don't know why nobody has ever seized on that as it's one of his most beautiful works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version