ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (20/182) > >>

Deozaan:
And actually, I don't mind any genre if its well done.  It's just that most of the crap they put out now *isn't*.
-wraith808 (July 29, 2013, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pfft! Liar! No guy likes any chick-flick no matter how well it's done! We only tolerate them because of our ladies! :P

Now, add in some aliens or cyborgs or space ships or lasers or zombies or something that's actually cool/interesting, and yeah... they can be done well enough to enjoy. :P

-Renegade (July 29, 2013, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not afraid to admit that one of my favorite movies is "Somewhere in Time". :)
-wraith808 (July 29, 2013, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's because Superman is in it!

40hz:
No guy likes any chick-flick no matter how well it's done!
--- End quote ---

@Ren- Guess I'm the exception that blows the argument's premise on that one. :P

I happen to like some chick-flicks. (My GF is the one into the heavy serious movies. She can't stand chick-flicks or anything that agonizes over "relationships" for the most part.)

I'd heartily recommend:

Amelie with Audrey Tautou

Chocolat with Juliette Binoche

The Wedding Date with Debra Messing

Under the Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane (who is awesome in this) as is as Claudia Gerini as Signora Frances Raguzzi:

Katherine: It's a nice little villa. Rather run down, but redeemable... Are you going to buy it?

Frances: The way my life is currently going, that would be a terrible idea.

Katherine: Mm, terrible idea... Don't you just love those?

(Diane Lane also does one of the funniest "Woo-hoo I just got laid!" scenes ever in this movie.)

Catch and Release with Jennifer Garner

A Good Year with Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard

plus the very unusual Passion of Mind with (surprise again!) Demi Moore

and last but not least - that flat-out brilliant little movie The Guitar with the equally brilliant Saffron Burrows - which I've already raved about elsewhere on this forum.

Doesn't get much more chick-flick than these 8 although Passion of Mind,Chocolat and Amelie go far beyond the genre while still keeping their roots in it...

These are all enjoyable - and occasionally intriguing - while still being nice romantic 'feel good' fun.

8)

MilesAhead:
I was surprised by this version of On The Road

It has much more of the Kerouac "feel" than any other treatment of his writings that I've seen. It's one of the last films I watched before I had to flee the condo.

I also liked Chronicle
but I'm a sucker for stuff about Telekinetics. The "card trick" sequence was very cool.
Unfortunately the "magician" managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

40hz:
And actually, I don't mind any genre if its well done.  It's just that most of the crap they put out now *isn't*.
-wraith808 (July 29, 2013, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pfft! Liar! No guy likes any chick-flick no matter how well it's done! We only tolerate them because of our ladies! :P

Now, add in some aliens or cyborgs or space ships or lasers or zombies or something that's actually cool/interesting, and yeah... they can be done well enough to enjoy. :P

Sleepless in Seattle/Titanic = zzzzzzzzzzzz... :P

--- End quote ---

I'm not afraid to admit that one of my favorite movies is "Somewhere in Time". :)
-wraith808 (July 29, 2013, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll man  up on that one too.  ;D

But I pretty much like any storythat stems from the mind of Richard Matheson. Matheson is about the only author still working in the intellectual sci-fi/horror genre (besides the incomparable Thomas Ligotti and the ever unpredictable Poppy Z. Brite) who is actually worth reading.
 :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I guess after seeing your list, I have to add more :)

A Walk In The Clouds

A Room with a View

Howard's End

Green Card

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

50 First Dates

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Thelma and Louse

My Best Friend's Wedding

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Legends of the Fall

The Family Man